This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PS3 VOB PASSTHROUGH on XBOX 360

I noticed the ONLY decent format is VOB PASSTHROUGH for the PS3. This streams great to my 360, but I lose the widescreen?? (I think), it seems to only be in 4:3 (black bars on the left and right).

I also noticed that when I play it on the PC or 360 via media center, when you pause it, you do not get a good timeline, it just shows your current position...at the end of the timeline, but it still plays fine, seemed really odd, is there a way to fix it, so I can see the entire timeline of the movie?

The short answer is yes, but not with DVDFab.

The problem is that VOB Passthrough simply outputs the video stream as it is on the DVD. Most DVD authors (or authoring software) don't take the time to redo the time codes on the completed video once they splice the movie together. This is especially true at DVD layer breaks and transitions from opening and ending credits.

You can add the correct time codes using other software like tsMuxer but this often creates other problems like frame judder and audio sync issues. You would also need to seek help from a different forum for external programs.

Personally, I just live with the time code issues for most content because I like the full quality. However, you should be able to get a pretty good result using H264 and audio copy. Just make sure you bump up the bitrate until you are happy with the results. Testing a single chapter at multiple bitrates will allow you to find one you are happy with.

Comment

Where/How would I do the H264 and audio copy?

I did a few other DVD rips, and some showed up as 16:9, so the 4:3 issue may have been only on the few I did before posting.

Out of my 47 rips, 2 of them won't input into DVDFab as a full Video .. Zoolander and Airplane I. Not sure why, but they come up as separate VOB's, not one, long video, like the rest.
      Last edited by vivithemage; 10-13-2010, 02:45 PM.

Comment

Separate VOB's would be one of two causes. Make sure you are using DVD Ripper (not DVD Copy). In the options of VOB Passthrough make sure that you have not selected to split files (default on PS3 profile for FAT32 portable hard drives).

H264 with audio copy is an option on many of the output formats including MKV and AVI. There is a tutorial with screenshots on the main DVDFab website that you may find helpful.

Comment

The VIDEO_TS folders I had/have were pre-ripped from a co-worker ... he just decided to give me his 380GB collection, but I wanted stream them to my 360, and the PS3 VOB passthrough option was the only GOOD option. I add those 2 specific rips that he gave me, and they still only pop up as individual VOB's, not as a 'DVD' like the other 40+ I did.

I am not sure I am seeing the tutorial you are speaking of.

Comment

Originally posted by vivithemage View Post
            The VIDEO_TS folders I had/have were pre-ripped from a co-worker ... he just decided to give me his 380GB collection...
            Observance of Copyright Laws in the DVDFab Forums

Thread closed.

Comment

Working...
            X