m2ts to mkv - maximum bitrate=15000 ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

m2ts to mkv - maximum bitrate=15000 ??

Why is there a 15K limit on the bitrate when converting a VC-1 within a m2ts file to mkv? I have a gigbit network which has no problem with high bitrates, I've used TVersity to stream a wmv to my PS3 which peaked at 48000 so why the limitation? I'm basically trying to achieve a lossless conversion from VC-1 to h264.

thanks.

I cannot tell you why.

However, I can say that the 15K setting is the average bitrate rather than the peek. I've seen a test encode set to 15K spike to over 50K. Not being able to set the absolute maximum bitrate is actual a problem and probably why some people report consitant playback glitches in specific areas of a movie.

Technically, you are always going to have loss going from VC-1 to H264. That doesn't mean we humans will be able to see it.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonTech View Post
      Why is there a 15K limit on the bitrate when converting a VC-1 within a m2ts file to mkv? I have a gigbit network which has no problem with high bitrates, I've used TVersity to stream a wmv to my PS3 which peaked at 48000 so why the limitation? I'm basically trying to achieve a lossless conversion from VC-1 to h264.

thanks.
      If you want lossless - use "remux" profile.
      sigpic

Please post your logs the default location is:

For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
      For Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
      For XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
      Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Comment

...a lossless conversion from VC-1 to h264.
        Originally posted by IPopov50 View Post
        If you want lossless - use "remux" profile.
        The PS3 cannot handle VC-1 video in a file. That is why he is trying to convert it to H264 with as little loss as possible.

Comment

Hi Guys, thanks for the responses, sorry it's taken a while for me to get back I've had a bit of a hectic week. Firstly in response to the "remux" suggestion as Complication points out the PS3 cannot handle VC-1 in a file so this doesn't help me as all it does is remux the VC-1 stream in an mkv (or other) format. As for converting to h264 I went back and had a look at the conversions and noted the difference in file size, the original (58mins) is roughly 13GB and the converted mkv is about 7GB, quite a big difference but I thought I'd check to see if I could tell the differece and there definitely seems to be a more noticable colour banding when the colour change should appear seemless.

Comment

As for converting to h264 I went back and had a look at the conversions and noted the difference in file size, the original (58mins) is roughly 13GB and the converted mkv is about 7GB, quite a big difference but I thought I'd check to see if I could tell the differece and there definitely seems to be a more noticable colour banding when the colour change should appear seemless.
            Use the select button to bring up the bitrate for the scene(s) you see the color banding in and compare the original BD to the MKV. This will give you more information about whether your suspicion that insufficient bitrate is the issue.

Comment

Working...
            X