Forced Subtitles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forced Subtitles

I have noticed for a while now that when making a BD movie only backup (Blu-ray Copy mode) , forced subtitles (translation subtitles) do not automatically turn on when a translation should be displayed, and usually have to be turned on manually. When viewing the movies form the original discs, these subtitles are usually displayed automatically as needed. Check out the new movie selection of [URL=https://www.catalogueau.com/jb-hi-fi/]JB Hi-Fi Catalogue[URL]. I always copy all of the English subtitles, even when only when audio track is copied, so its present on the backup, just never turns on automatically.

Is there a setting in DVDFab to recognize forced subtitles so they can be set to be turned on by default? I know you can have a subtitle automatically display by selecting a specific subtitle track by turning on the right arrow next to it on the left, but how can you tell whether or not any of those is a forced translation subtitle. I do this by trial and error now. When I used to backup DVDs in the days of past, forced subtitles would always automatically display in the backup, but not on blue-ray. Am I missing a setting or is this a feature that could be requested?

Thank you.

Normally, the forced subtitles should display automatically no matter subtitle ON or OFF.

In your case of "never turns on automatically", did you check the original movie disc, how did it playback the forced subtitles?
    What is the name and version of the movie? Do you get this problem with different movies?

Please offer more details and log files. Thanks.

Regards,
    Mona

Comment

It was not something recent so will have to go back through collection and find some examples, and was asking because it came to mind the other day. I just remember there have been several movies in the past where a foreign language is being spoken in certain scenes and no subtitle appears . I rewind a few seconds, then turn on the alternate English subtitle (usually its the 2nd English subtitle track) and then the translation appears. Since this was not something that happened very recently, I don't have the logs so will have to go through the copy process again once I can remember the specific titles to generate logs. Just didn't know whether or not there was a setting in DVDFab I should set or not, but I guess from your answer there is not.

Comment

If you go to common settings there is a setting to always display forced subtitle automatically.

I also learned this the hard way

Comment

The only setting I see regarding subtitles n Common Settings is under Conversion where you have the option to "Always display only forced subtitle" but I don't believe that has any affect on Blu-ray Copy mode, but will make sure its selected anyway. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by LaciBacsi View Post
            The only setting I see regarding subtitles n Common Settings is under Conversion where you have the option to "Always display only forced subtitle" but I don't believe that has any affect on Blu-ray Copy mode, but will make sure its selected anyway. Thanks.
            You are right, this option to "Always display only forced subtitle" makes no affect on Blu-ray Copy, it is specially for Ripper's conversion process.

Comment

Thanks this gives me one output and when I open in Subtitleedit it give me to different choice one for forced and one for normal subs this works for me. However I want to add these to the mp4 which I can do with the converter. But I can't seem to mark the forced subtitle track forced so it plays automatically is there a way to do this in the convert or can it only add the srts?

Comment

Working...
              X