Ignore All Read Errors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ignore All Read Errors?

I noticed that when copying a disc (Blu-ray or DVD), if there are read errors, DVDFab will give you the choice of "Retry/Ignore/Abort" or "Ignore all read errors" on an ad hoc basis. It will also let you choose the option to "Ask Retry/Ignore/Abort" or 'Ignore read errors automatically' on a global basis. I have seen where support staff have more than once recommended the setting of automatically ignoring all read errors where a user has reported having read errors.

Could someone explain to me why one would even want to use the setting to ignore errors. Even more confusing is why would support staff recommend that as a fix. Btw, the few times I have had to occasion to use the setting to ignore all errors automatically, just to see what would happen, DVDFab STILL pops up with the read error option dialogue box, asking the user to enter an option, so the automatic function doesn't seem to work as it should. I believe I have had this issue on three, or maybe four occasions with different versions, so it doesn't seem to be specific to any version.

But the bigger question remains, and that is why would anyone want to ignore read errors and end up with a backup that either cannot be played properly or skips sectors to complete the task? If I get a bad disc, I just return it to wherever I purchased it from and get a new one, which has always solved the problem for me. I guess if you buy an older and/or used title, say on ebay, that option may or may not be available if seller has limited stock and you got the last one.

Originally posted by LaciBacsi View Post
    Could someone explain to me why one would even want to use the setting to ignore errors. Even more confusing is why would support staff recommend that as a fix.
    Let's presume this: Firstly, you want copy your whole blu ray content in folders to your hard disc. Secondly, you want to rip only the main movie from that copy. If the errors occurs only during copying the files with the bonus material or some pirate copy notes, you will get an error-free rip of the main movie anyway. Insofar the advice from the support staff works as a fix. As I remeber, they (the suppport staff) also point out that one should try the "ignore errors" option. And if this works, all is fine. If not, one should give disc cleaning a try. This may certainly have also worked on some occasions.

Comment

Working...
    X