DVDFab Forum - Upgraded GPU from 750Ti to 1060 6GB and WOW!!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Upgraded GPU from 750Ti to 1060 6GB and WOW!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Upgraded GPU from 750Ti to 1060 6GB and WOW!!

    Today, I upgraded my GPU from a 750Ti to 1060 6GB and it makes a HUGE difference. I rip blu rays using h265, 1080p, AC3 5.1.

    A 2 hour BR would typically take about 4 hours with the 750Ti. With the 1060, I just ripped Avengers: Infinity War (149 mins long) in 22 minutes. The GPU peak usage was low (<20%) with averages under 5% and my CPU went from a constant 100% with the 750Ti down to 35% average.

    If you can afford it, I highly recommend upgrading your video card (GPU) to take full advantage of the CUDA ripping.

    Thank you DVDFab!

  • #2
    I rip blu rays using h265, 1080p, AC3 5.1.
    Ouch! Why do you destroy audio and video?

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by gorba8.9 View Post
      Ouch! Why do you destroy audio and video?
      The h265 does not destroy video quality - there is no noticeable difference between 264 vs 265 on my 65" plasma. The only difference is 265 files are half the size (a 2 hour film w/h265 is approximately 2GB whereas it would be around 4GB in h264), which is important when for my collection of 1,000+ movies. There is also no difference in sound quality between AAC and AC3, I only started using AC3 because my sound system better supports it and it actually sounds better than AAC on playback on my 5.1 surround system.There is no way I am saving DTS soundtracks on all of my files either.

      Also, having a smaller file size allows for easier remote streaming via my Plex server.
      Last edited by GottWhat; 09-27-2018, 08:12 PM.

      Comment


      • #4
        a 2 hour film w/h265 is approximately 2GB
        Wow! To compress a 2 hour Blu-ray film to 2 GB size is really brutal.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by gorba8.9 View Post

          Wow! To compress a 2 hour Blu-ray film to 2 GB size is really brutal.
          Have you tried h265? It is still 1080p, just a superior compression to h264.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by gorba8.9 View Post
            Wow! To compress a 2 hour Blu-ray film to 2 GB size is really brutal.
            You really should give h265 a try. It's a superior compression algorithm. Especially if you have hardware support for it.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Outback_Jon View Post
              You really should give h265 a try. It's a superior compression algorithm. Especially if you have hardware support for it.
              It takes longer to rip but it's worth it. Like Jon said, not all devices support it though.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by GottWhat View Post
                Today, I upgraded my GPU from a 750Ti to 1060 6GB and it makes a HUGE difference. I rip blu rays using h265, 1080p, AC3 5.1.

                A 2 hour BR would typically take about 4 hours with the 750Ti. With the 1060, I just ripped Avengers: Infinity War (149 mins long) in 22 minutes. The GPU peak usage was low (<20%) with averages under 5% and my CPU went from a constant 100% with the 750Ti down to 35% average.

                If you can afford it, I highly recommend upgrading your video card (GPU) to take full advantage of the CUDA ripping.

                Thank you DVDFab!
                I'm guessing you changed a setting someplace is all. Maybe enabled CUDA in the nVidia control panel? My 650TI rips BDs in about 30 minutes. Same as the 980M in my laptop. Both run at about 5% usage.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Hexen525 View Post

                  I'm guessing you changed a setting someplace is all. Maybe enabled CUDA in the nVidia control panel? My 650TI rips BDs in about 30 minutes. Same as the 980M in my laptop. Both run at about 5% usage.
                  With a 650, not a 1650? With a 650, my guess is that is for h264? Try ripping something in h265, takes a lot longer unless you have a newer GPU.

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X