Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dolby Vision Question - Selectable in Movie Only backup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dolby Vision Question - Selectable in Movie Only backup?

Hi,

I was wondering if it was possible to be able to De-select the Dolby Vision like can be done on the Audio and Subtitle drop-downs when making a Movie Only UHD backup?

Especially if there is a HDR10 or HDR10+ profile as well as the Dolby Vision on a specific Movie.

Do you want to copy UHD HDR10+ & Dolby Vision Disc to UHD HDR10 disc?

Also, why you want to do that? The UHD HDR is designed for auto compatible with HDR10 device and the data for HDR10+ or Dolby Vision is relatived small comparing with total file size of an UHD.

Comment

Hi Mona,

I and a couple of friends do not have Dolby Vision compatible players/TV. Although it is a small track it would be nice to have the option to omit it on a backup if that was possible.

When I purchased Bumblebee Steel-Book UHD set I had no issues with the audio sync on the HDR10 playback but when playing the original disc at a friends house with Dolby Vision there are sync issues to start with that gradually come back into sync.

Therefore to answer your question:
      Do you want to copy UHD HDR10+ & Dolby Vision Disc to UHD HDR10 disc?
      Answer:
      Yes it would be a good option especially as I do not have a system that will utilise HDR10+ or Dolby Vision yet.

Kind Regards
      sieveis

Comment

Update on what I think of the processes so far...

Let me state why I would like to be able to de-select Dolby Vision when making a movie-only copy. I should add that MKVToolNix does allow Dolby Vision to be de-selected when making an MKV. But of course that does not help if you want to make a BDMV-formatted disk.

I should also note that HDR10+ is a whole different story. Dolby Vision is a separate video track. Dolby Vision shows up as a separate track in the BDInfo files created by DVDFab, and it shows up as a separate video track in MKVToolNix, which is why you can de-select it. But HDR10+ is not a separate video track, so de-selecting that may not be possible. Dolby Vision and HDR10+ may be fulfilling the same basic purpose, but the manner in which they do so are completely different animals, so please don't confuse the two and think that they could be treated in the same manner.

Back to why I would want to be able to de-select Dolby Vision:

1. When compressing a UHD to fit on a BD50 disk, the Dolby Vision track is not compressed, resulting in greater compression of the main video. If your player or TV does not support Dolby Vision, you are losing quality as a result. Sometimes removing Dolby Vision might even be sufficient to get a movie to fit on a BD50 without compressing it.

2. UHD disks with Dolby Vision, when compressed to BD50 size, have significantly less playback compatibility even on players that do support Dolby Vision. For example, I have a number of such disks that will not play back smoothly on my friends Oppo (which supports Dolby Vision) but will play back smoothly on my Samsung UHD player (which does not support Dolby Vision so the DV track is ignored).

Since DV is a separate track, and MKVToolNix allows you to de-select that track, it would seem very possible technically to have this capability added to DVDFab.

I hope this explains what I am requesting a bit better.

Thanks for any feedback Mona.

Comment

I will pass your post to the developer in charge.

UHD Ripper-MKV.passthrough supports to remove Dolby Vision. You can have a try too.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	remove Dolby Vision.png
Views:	424
Size:	241.3 KB
ID:	371100

Comment

Thank you Mona for the information, much appreciated.

Comment

Working...
            X