Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone test NVENC encoding on a 3080 in dvdfab?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone test NVENC encoding on a 3080 in dvdfab?

Currently have a MSI 1080Ti Lightning Z GPU. Anyone out there have a RTX 3080 card that can test NVENC encoding performance in dvdfab?

Would love to get numbers on standard blurays as well as UHD bluray encoding performance.

Video:
    H265 MKV(10bit for UHD, but no 10bit for blurays as they don't have 10bit)
    2x pass
    High Quality

Audio:
    Keep audio untouched, no compression

For UHD I am achieving between 70-75FPS
    For regular bluray I am achieving between 270-280FPS

41 people have viewed this thread, not a single one is willing to reply with a test result?

Comment

now 65 views? no takers? would really love to justify a 3080 or 3090 purchase

Comment

If like me, they are also wanting to see the results as they don't currently have the new cards.

Comment

Originally posted by hoxlund View Post
          now 65 views? no takers? would really love to justify a 3080 or 3090 purchase
          I doubt that there is much of an increase in the 30xx series cards for video processing. They don't have many more CUDA cores than the 10xx series cards. Nvidia's focus is on 3D ray tracing, which is what the newer cards are geared for, and which will likely have little effect on 2D video processing speed.

Comment

Originally posted by Outback_Jon View Post

I doubt that there is much of an increase in the 30xx series cards for video processing. They don't have many more CUDA cores than the 10xx series cards. Nvidia's focus is on 3D ray tracing, which is what the newer cards are geared for, and which will likely have little effect on 2D video processing speed.
            The 3070 has 5,888 CudaCores
            The 1070 has 1,920 CudaCores.

The other features in technology have there own sensors processing units, remember you can download video editing drivers or gaming drivers from nviida. However I think they still need to fine tune DVDFAB to utilize the technology perhaps. I am not impressed with the speed on the 3070 yet, gpu utilized 36% during conversion the file was stable and I am taking h.264 4k to h.265 4k, also using b-frame Nvidia technology. Still matching the frames per second of the 1070 so yes the 1070 card performs similar or better as of today in speed. I am sure there will be a patch for speed. 60fps on the 3070 isn't promising. I am on the latest dvdfab, also to remove any bottle necks ive tested it from nVME ssd the file was about 2.8gb of 4k mp4 h.264. However I dont see MP4.4k - there is now HDR options etc. So im sure it will be sorted out. I can do more test today.

Comment

Originally posted by AOD View Post
              The 3070 has 5,888 CudaCores
              The 1070 has 1,920 CudaCores.
              That's not that many more.

I must have misread something in the specs when I looked them up. Probably looked at clock speeds instead of cores.

Comment

was going to say, my 1080ti 2,584 cuda cores. where as the 3090 i bought has 10,496 cuda cores. excited to see the difference but not holding my breath cause like you said. dvd fab has a LONG way to go to optimize their engine

Comment

Ok purchased an Nvidia RTX3090 FE today, walked into bestbuy and was in stock for MSRP, $1,500. So with dvdfab, here we go.

1080p regular bluray

H265 2 pass
                  High quality
                  sound is copied
                  enable lightning-recoding and enable lightning-shrink
                  b frames enabled
                  automatic crop disabled

encoding fps: 410-420fps

I'll do a uhd disc shortly

Comment

so for UHD blurays

H265 10bit
                    high quality
                    sound is copied
                    enable lightning-recoding and enable lightning-shrink
                    b frames enabled
                    automatic crop disabled

encoding fps: 95-110fps

btw both 1080p and uhd, dvd fab 12.0.3.8, gpu encode utilization is at 99% according to windows 10 pro 21h1

Comment

Originally posted by hoxlund View Post
                      was going to say, my 1080ti 2,584 cuda cores. where as the 3090 i bought has 10,496 cuda cores. excited to see the difference but not holding my breath cause like you said. dvd fab has a LONG way to go to optimize their engine
                      CUDA has nothing to do with NVENC Encoding IMHO. NVENC uses a dedicated chip only for video encoding, CUDA is part of the GPU.

Comment

Originally posted by alonsomosley View Post

CUDA has nothing to do with NVENC Encoding IMHO. NVENC uses a dedicated chip only for video encoding, CUDA is part of the GPU.
                        agreed, all I know is my 3090 is a BEAST @ nvenc encoding

Comment

Originally posted by alonsomosley View Post

You seem to be the only one that understands that the nvenc.dll has nothing to do with Cuda Cores, It's just as fast in a 3060 as it is in a 3090. People that do not understand development do not know the difference between a .dll and a Cuda core. The NVENC.dll is the only part of the GPU that affects these programs.
                          Programmer in Python,Java,JavaScript,Swift,PHP,SQL,C#,C++,Go,R

Comment

i know it is an old thread but just wanted to post some findings.

I have 1080Ti which i used to encode and generally get around 75 FPS when encoding 4K HDR.

So i re-encoded a 57GB 4K HDR movie using 2 pass, b frames, quality set to 18 and everything else on passthrough eg audio - The movie was copied locally on the NVME SSD in both cases.

DVDFAB version 12.0.5.7

Main PC
                            i9 - 12 core process (7920x)
                            G Skills 64GB Ram DDR4 Quad Channel 3400Mhz
                            1TB NVME (samsung 970 pro)
                            Nvidia 3080Ti FE 12GB

I was getting about 105 FPS on the Nvidia 3080Ti on this particular movie.

Tried the same move and setting on my new gaming laptop Lenovo Legion 5 with RTX 3060 6GB GPU and 11th gen CPU i7, 16gb ram.

I was getting 137 FPS in quiet mode and 145 FPS in performance mode.

That is a big jump, just thinking if the 11th Gen CPU has part to play hence the big jump in performance?
                            Last edited by a5ian300zx; 01-02-2022, 08:56 PM.

Comment

Ok, going through the settings the laptop did not have b frames on hence the increase in performance and when i do my PC with the same b frames off I get around 150 FPS the rest of the settings are the same.

with B frames ON, both do around 105 FPS

Comment

Working...
                              X