Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yanta
    replied
    The problem is simple. I test programs before I roll them out to production PCs. Programs are tested on a dedicated test PC. According to the DVDFab license agreement I cannot do that with DVDFab products.

As it stands now you have discontinued v11. It cannot be run due to the certificate now being invalid. Therefore right at this moment DVDFab is just a brick. I can't use it. I will not install v12 on my production PC without first testing it in the established test environment. That 's because of DVDFab's history of bugs. It generally takes you about 12 months to stabilize each new version (I've been using DDVFab since v5). For example, since v12 was released you have "fixed" 78 bugs in the space of 8 months. That's not as bad as Microsoft's 50+ per month but it's still a lot. One particular bug that would have affected me was just fixed in 12.0.3.4 - 8 months after the products release.

I basically have to drop everything else and work on DVDFab testing. If there had been some published notification of an End of Life date for DAVFAB v11 (Like most developers publish), I could have built it into my testing plan. I have over 150 programs to test against for 10 PCs. I can only drop everything and test DVDFab because v11 is broken and it can't be used at all, otherwise to install DVDFab v12 on my test PC would have violated the terms of the license agreement.

No other program that we use here, paid or free, restricts me from evaluating or testing new versions of the programs on multiple PCs if needed. That is what I mean by restrictive.

This is all documented on a web ticket ad-nauseum.

What issue with "opening disc"? I didn't mention anything about opening any discs.

Anyway - I know where I stand. DVDFab does not provide for testing it's new releases beyond the initial evaluation prior to purchase. One must blindly take a leap of faith and install a new version and hope for the best. 40 years experience in I.T tells me that's just plan dumb. But it's the only option... Well, apart from stop using the product. To do that, one must first de-authorize the old version so the new version can be installed without violating the terms of the license agreement. If there are problems with the new version well, that's just tough luck. You can't downgrade back to the previous version. Especially not when you block it from working, as has been done to v11, so you're stuck with a broken product.
    Last edited by Yanta; 06-19-2021, 05:32 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Mona
    replied
    Originally posted by Yanta View Post
    Once I install 12 on my Test PC I can no longer use 11 on my production PC. Also, I think if I activate 12 it will totally break 11 anyway. Fab is the only program I have that is this restrictive.
    Hi Yanta, sorry but I am not quite sure what you meant by "restrictive" here, but as long as you have a valid license you can continue to use it in DVDFab 12, and if you haven't used it or tried it before, you should be able to start a trial. If you cannot start the trial for a cetain product, let me know, I will check for you.

About the issue of the opening disc, please do give DVDFab 12 a try and post the latest log file.
    Or you can give Passkey a try, rip as an image and then use your DVDFab 11 to add the image as a source.

Leave a comment:

• Yanta
    replied
    Originally posted by october262 View Post

you can buy multiple licenses if you need them, if you have just one (1) license, the just deauthorise the old version and authorize the new version - https://www.dvdfab.cn/how-to-register.htm
    and see here - https://www.dvdfab.cn/purchase-policy.htm
    At A$700 for the full suite and being on a pension I won't be buying a second license to do a once in every 2 year test.
    But what you did say is exactly what I said - that one cannot test a new version without breaking the existing version.

Leave a comment:

• october262
    replied
    Originally posted by Yanta View Post
    Seems I can't edit my post. This is what the license agreement says...

DVDFab Software Inc. grants you only one license to use one copy of this SOFTWARE version on anyone system...
    This license is not transferable to any other system...
    You are expected to use the SOFTWARE on your system and to thoroughly evaluate its usefulness and functionality before making a purchase
    This "try before you buy" approach is the ultimate guarantee that the SOFTWARE will perform to your satisfaction

Except that I want to test the new version to ensure that it does not conflict with other software, will perform as described and is fit for purpose. But DVDFab only give you one chance, which is before your purchase. The clause that is missing from the license agreement (excuse my cynicism), is;

After your purchase you trust that all future releases (if you purchased a lifetime license), or within your subscription period (for time limited purchases), will be fit for purpose and work as described from the date of your purchase and forever. You are not allowed to evaluate the software beyond your initial purchase. If a new version breaks your system well that's life.

And I have done upgrades in the past that have been broken, hence why I'm hesitant to upgrade just yet, and why I fear installing V12 on my test PC in case I violate the license terms and get banned or worse.

I have 10 PCs here running over 150 different applications. that's a huge workload and several of those systems are critical day-to-day systems. Hence why everything must be tested.

But I guess what you are implying is that there may have been changes to the back end of DVDFab that prevent the further use of previous versions. That's pretty nasty. I can still use Office 2003 if I want to... I have a valid license. I know I'd be foolish to do so because it's out of support, but the principle is that "I can".
    you can buy multiple licenses if you need them, if you have just one (1) license, the just deauthorise the old version and authorize the new version - https://www.dvdfab.cn/how-to-register.htm
    and see here - https://www.dvdfab.cn/purchase-policy.htm

Leave a comment:

• Yanta
    replied
    Seems I can't edit my post. This is what the license agreement says...

DVDFab Software Inc. grants you only one license to use one copy of this SOFTWARE version on anyone system...
    This license is not transferable to any other system...
    You are expected to use the SOFTWARE on your system and to thoroughly evaluate its usefulness and functionality before making a purchase
    This "try before you buy" approach is the ultimate guarantee that the SOFTWARE will perform to your satisfaction

Except that I want to test the new version to ensure that it does not conflict with other software, will perform as described and is fit for purpose. But DVDFab only give you one chance, which is before your purchase. The clause that is missing from the license agreement (excuse my cynicism), is;

After your purchase you trust that all future releases (if you purchased a lifetime license), or within your subscription period (for time limited purchases), will be fit for purpose and work as described from the date of your purchase and forever. You are not allowed to evaluate the software beyond your initial purchase. If a new version breaks your system well that's life.

And I have done upgrades in the past that have been broken, hence why I'm hesitant to upgrade just yet, and why I fear installing V12 on my test PC in case I violate the license terms and get banned or worse.

I have 10 PCs here running over 150 different applications. that's a huge workload and several of those systems are critical day-to-day systems. Hence why everything must be tested.

But I guess what you are implying is that there may have been changes to the back end of DVDFab that prevent the further use of previous versions. That's pretty nasty. I can still use Office 2003 if I want to... I have a valid license. I know I'd be foolish to do so because it's out of support, but the principle is that "I can".
    Last edited by Yanta; 06-14-2021, 05:49 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Yanta
    replied
    Hi Signals. Good to hear from you. It's been a while. Hope you are well.

Yes, I have all the installers going back to v7. I took your advice - reinstalled it. This did not solve the problem.

I have found through experience that when a new version is released it takes about a year to stabilize. Each new version comes with a new UI and a new learning curve. I'm not a believer in "update for the sake of updating", particularly if what I have works... Lol, well it don't work now

The biggest issue I have is that the Fab licensing is extremely restrictive. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
    I have a PC I use for testing. I never install new stuff on any production PC until it's been tested on the test PC thoroughly. With Fab I cannot do that. Once I install 12 on my Test PC I can no longer use 11 on my production PC. Also, I think if I activate 12 it will totally break 11 anyway. Fab is the only program I have that is this restrictive.

Leave a comment:

• signals
    replied
    Hi Yanta
    It may finally be time to put v11 to sleep for good. There have been many server changes on the Fab end and the usual unpredictable Windows updates since it was released. If you still have the installer you might try re-installing it.

Leave a comment:

• DVDFab Opens then closes immediately.

v11.1.07. DVD Fab Opens then closes immediately.
    Log file attached.

I am also getting this error in the event log at the same time;

The certificate received from the remote server has not validated correctly. The error code is 0x80092013. The TLS connection request has failed. The attached data contains the server certificate.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Yanta; 06-13-2021, 08:07 AM.
Working...
X