Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lossless conversion from 2160p to 1080p?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lossless conversion from 2160p to 1080p?

Hi, not sure if this is the right place to pose this question, but here goes . . .

My wife and I purchased the new UHD release of the old 1953 sci-fi movie, Invaders from Mars, for her father. We didn't realize that we had purchased only the 2160p version (the 1080p version is sold separately).

My father-in-law only has a 1080p blu-ray player and 1080p tv (his two PCs are also only 1080p).

Can I convert (downscale?) the 2160p to 1080p without loss of quality? If so, which dvdfab product would I want to use to this?

Or, what other program/app/software would you recommend I use to do this?

Thank you in advance for any help.​

if the disc is already ripped, you would only need video conversion. if not you can use uhd ripper. but make sure you encode into h264. as normal bluray players use that codec for video playback

after converted if you planned on burning to disc for bluray player, you would of course need a bluray burner and some blank discs

Comment

You can convert down using the Video Convertor. Or you can use the UHD-to-Bluray copy option.

In either case, you aren't going to be lossless, but you will be able to get a very good 1080p output. "Lossless" or "loss of quality" aren't exactly the correct terms here, as you are literally taking away half of the resolution of the picture, so there's no way to be "lossless".

This might not be the best/easiest way, but if I were doing it, I'd use DVDFab Ripper to get the movie in 2160p, then use DVDFab Creator to create a Bluray with just the movie on it.

Comment

Excellent advice Outback_Jon. UHD to Bluray copy. but ya since UHD's codec is H265 and regular 1080p Blurays are H264 there will be a step down. But will be negligible.

Comment

Thank you hoxlund and Outback_Jon for the replies and the great information.

Yes, I should have been more specific in my terminology. What I want to do is make the 'best' possible picture quality from 2160 to 1080p.

I'll do this all tonight when I get home from work and let you know the results.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the help.

I took the 4k disc, ripped it via DVDFab x64, then created a 1080p .mkv using UHD to Blu-ray.

The mkv looks great!

Comment

Working...
            X