Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Specific Feature Trying to Merge Two Files

DVDFab x64 12.1.1.5
    I have not used he Merge feature of DVDFab before, and I am having problems.

I ripped a movie split over two DVDs (Gangs of New York, part 1 and part 2). Ripped with the (MKV.H265) output profile. Both parts of the movie have chapter marks when played separately.

The Merge with DVDFab converter seemed to work OK; I now have one file with both parts in it, but the chapter marks were only preserved for the first part - the second part of the movie is there and plays fine, but it has no chapter marks.

Is this a bug in the software, or am I doing something wrong?

Originally posted by Mauser View Post
    DVDFab x64 12.1.1.5
    I have not used he Merge feature of DVDFab before, and I am having problems.

I ripped a movie split over two DVDs (Gangs of New York, part 1 and part 2). Ripped with the (MKV.H265) output profile. Both parts of the movie have chapter marks when played separately.

The Merge with DVDFab converter seemed to work OK; I now have one file with both parts in it, but the chapter marks were only preserved for the first part - the second part of the movie is there and plays fine, but it has no chapter marks.

Is this a bug in the software, or am I doing something wrong?
    try what is posted in post #3 - https://forum.dvdfab.cn/forum/dvdfab...pter-selection

Comment

Originally posted by october262 View Post
      I greatly appreciate your response, but I do not think I even understand the steps outlined in that other thread. What's more, I don't understand how it might solve this problem.

I do not need to select only parts of the source files - I want to merge them in their entirety (and that part is working). The problem that I have is that the second source file, which HAS internal chapter marks that were preserved from the original DVD rip, has lost all those chapter marks after the merge. I simply want the merge task to preserve all chapter marks from both source input files, not just the first one.

Comment

Problem #2 with the Merge feature:
        In testing other options to try and preserve all the chapter marks, I did a merge job using the MP4 profile. Both source files are MKV, but since the merge is done by the DVDFab converter, I expected it to simply convert them to a single MP4 output file. DVDFab SAID it was creating an MP4 output, but the resulting merged file is still MKV, no conversion was done, and no errors or warnings were shown!

(And the problem with no chapter marks preserved from the second file was not fixed either.)

Comment

Originally posted by Mauser View Post
          Problem #2 with the Merge feature:
          In testing other options to try and preserve all the chapter marks, I did a merge job using the MP4 profile. Both source files are MKV, but since the merge is done by the DVDFab converter, I expected it to simply convert them to a single MP4 output file. DVDFab SAID it was creating an MP4 output, but the resulting merged file is still MKV, no conversion was done, and no errors or warnings were shown!

(And the problem with no chapter marks preserved from the second file was not fixed either.)
          might try going into common settings - general settings - click the factory default settings button in
          the lower left corner of the general settings area, restart dvdfab and retry the merge feature again and see if that helps.

also run your file through mediainfo and see if the chapters are in for the second file.
          Last edited by october262; 09-24-2023, 04:08 PM.

Comment

Please provide the dvdfab_internal log file too, thanks.

Comment

There is no question at all about the input files both having chapter marks - I can see them and tab to them when the files are played in VLC.

I repeated this test today with a different movie and got the same result of no chapter marks preserved from the second file. I uploaded the logs as Feedback ID 245634

Here is what I did for today's test:
              This morning I did a fresh restart of DVDFab and performed a merge of two files for the movie The Green Berets. As before, I had already ripped the two factory discs using DVDFab and the output profile (MKV.H265). After the fresh restart of DVDFab, I added the SIDEA and SIDEB files as input to the Converter, but this time when I selected the Merge function, it would not let me use the (MKV.H265) output profile - I do not know why. So I used the (MP4.H265) profile.

The Merge job ran fine and it did actually create an MP4 file as expected (no repeat of the Problem #2 I reported in post 4 above). The merged file does have the entire movie from both SIDEA and SIDEB input files, but there are only chapter marks from the first file - no chapter marks were preserved from the second input file.

I repeated this test on a different computer using totally different files (2 random episodes ripped from a Murdoch Mysteries DVD). The results were identical for the issue with not preserving chapter marks from only the second input file.
              Last edited by Mauser; 09-25-2023, 01:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X