DVDFab Installer Needs to Allow Change Of Install Directories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVDFab Installer Needs to Allow Change Of Install Directories

DVDFab installers just automatically run and use whatever defaults they have internally. This included some folders in the user's Documents directory.

My Documents folder is shared over several computers via Micro$oft OneDrive, so I want to keep all this application stuff totally separate on each computer, but the installation does not give that option. Even after completing the installation, it seems that the ONLY things I can move out of Documents are the Log and Temp folders. This is not good.

Hi,

You can change the log and temp folder from Common Settings.

Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot-20231017-102431.png
Views:	211
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	431626

Wilson
    Please post your logs the default location is:
    For DVDFab 13: C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\DVDFab13\Log
    For StreamFab: C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\StreamFab\log
    Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.
    If it's the burning issue, please also attach burn log.

Thanks!

Comment

Yes, I know that - in fact I even said that in my original post. But that does not change the fact that there is still a \DVDFab folder put in my \Documents folder with lots of unwanted stuff from EVERY DVDFab product I have installed. I should be in complete control of what goes in my \Documents folder, not you.

I do not want ANY of that stuff in my \Documents folder, so PLEASE STOP PUTTING IT THERE! All I ask is for you to provide the simple option to enter a different path during the installation .

Comment

its more then just what Mauser is pointing out here... My documents folder is on another drive then the C drive and even mapped in windows to that other drive which I'll call D... no matter what instead of using the "customized path" in settings it creates its OWN documents folder on C and shoves a lot of stuff in there on each restart even though it seams to also use the one mapped in the system on D: DVDFab is even ignoring system settings and throws out all of the customized settings to "use Documents directory" which it insists is on C: no matter what the system settings are on restart of DVDFab. It also does this consistently with the Encoding / Decoder settings...

Comment

Originally posted by Beyil View Post
          its more then just what Mauser is pointing out here... My documents folder is on another drive then the C drive and even mapped in windows to that other drive which I'll call D... no matter what instead of using the "customized path" in settings it creates its OWN documents folder on C and shoves a lot of stuff in there on each restart even though it seams to also use the one mapped in the system on D: DVDFab is even ignoring system settings and throws out all of the customized settings to "use Documents directory" which it insists is on C: no matter what the system settings are on restart of DVDFab.
          Hi Mauser
          Hi Beyil
          Thanks for the reply. The developers will check this part.

It also does this consistently with the Encoding / Decoder settings...
          Beyil ​, do you mean that after you changed the setting in the Common Settings panel, the settings were not kept after DVDFab started?

Comment

Yes, they were not kept upon closing of DVDFab.
            After I changed the settings in the Common Settings Panel under general for the which directories to use and the A/V Codec tab, those settings stayed until DVDFab was closed or restarted. in the A/v Codec tab its not consistent though. I have it set to all decode as software and encode as AMD APP (my card supports Encode and decode of H264 and H265) with lightning-Recording enabled... upon restart it goes to lightning-recording on with everything set to software or it turns off lightning recording and turns on lightning shrink, or switches H265 encoding to software. its a who knows what I'll get upon each restart. 13 so far just likes to keep turning the H265 to software even though its supported by the hardware will include 2 screen shots prior to adjusting to what I use it at...

Name:	settings1.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	431970

Name:	settings2.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	431971

This is what they were upon use / closing of DVDfab

Name:	settings3.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	431972

Name:	settings4.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	431973

Comment

Originally posted by Beyil View Post
              Yes, they were not kept upon closing of DVDFab.
              After I changed the settings in the Common Settings Panel under general for the which directories to use and the A/V Codec tab, those settings stayed until DVDFab was closed or restarted. in the A/v Codec tab its not consistent though. I have it set to all decode as software and encode as AMD APP (my card supports Encode and decode of H264 and H265) with lightning-Recording enabled... upon restart it goes to lightning-recording on with everything set to software or it turns off lightning recording and turns on lightning shrink, or switches H265 encoding to software. its a who knows what I'll get upon each restart. 13 so far just likes to keep turning the H265 to software even though its supported by the hardware will include 2 screen shots prior to adjusting to what I use it at...

Click image for larger version  Name:	settings1.jpg Views:	13 Size:	25.6 KB ID:	431970
              Click image for larger version  Name:	settings2.jpg Views:	11 Size:	23.3 KB ID:	431971

This is what they were upon use / closing of DVDfab
              Click image for larger version  Name:	settings3.jpg Views:	11 Size:	26.8 KB ID:	431972
              Click image for larger version  Name:	settings4.jpg Views:	11 Size:	23.7 KB ID:	431973
              Thanks for the detailed info, we will check as soon as possible.

Comment

13.0.0.3 still creates a "Documents\DVDFab\DVDFab 13" directory on the C drive regardless of the custom settings and regardless of the system settings...

Comment

13.0.0.6 This problems is still not fixed!! I did a total removal of DVDFab 13 and a clean install from the Offline installer, and it STILL CREATED UNWANTED FILES IN THE \Documents directory!!!!

WHY do you insist on inappropriately putting files in the users \Documents directory??????? JUST STOP IT!!

This is not hard to understand or fix - just put an option in the installation dialog to allow the user to say were the log and temp files should be placed!

Comment

Originally posted by Mauser View Post
                    13.0.0.6 This problems is still not fixed!! I did a total removal of DVDFab 13 and a clean install from the Offline installer, and it STILL CREATED UNWANTED FILES IN THE \Documents directory!!!!

WHY do you insist on inappropriately putting files in the users \Documents directory??????? JUST STOP IT!!

This is not hard to understand or fix - just put an option in the installation dialog to allow the user to say were the log and temp files should be placed!
                    I will check it, thanks!

Wilson
                    Please post your logs the default location is:
                    For DVDFab 13: C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\DVDFab13\Log
                    For StreamFab: C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\StreamFab\log
                    Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.
                    If it's the burning issue, please also attach burn log.

Thanks!

Comment

13.0.0.8 THIS PROBLEM IS STILL NOT FIXED!!!!

I did a complete removal of DVDFab 13. including the appdata and configuration. I then REMOVED the hated \DVDFab folder that you put in my \Documents directory. But when I reinstalled DVDFab 13.0.0.8 from the offline installer, your crap was BACK in my \Documents directory!

STOP DOING THAT!!!! YOU HAVE NO BUSINESS PUTTING ANYTHING IN MY \DOCUMENTS FOLDER!!!!! That folder is NOT APPROPRIATE for you to use for ANYTHING! STOP IT!

STOP IT!

STOP IT!

Either put your crap in \appdata where it belongs, or give ME the option to change it during istallation!

Comment

Working...
                      X