Audio out of sync when ripping dvds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Audio out of sync when ripping dvds

I haven't ripped a dvd in a long time; I've been only ripping my blu-rays.

I just finished ripping the first two seasons of my Shout Factory! box set of the T.J. Hooker: The Complete Series.

I am ripping them to .mkv format (passthrough).

In every episode, the audio is exactly 250ms out-of-sync with the video.

The dvds themselves are all fine -- no audio sync issues -- so the problem occurred during the ripping process.

I could use mkvtoolnix to correct the problem (that's how I figured out they are exactly 250ms out-of-sync), but I don't want to have to do that for these 27 ripped episodes. Nor do I want to rip the next 60+ episodes, then go back and have to fix the each episode using mkvtoolnix--that's alot of work.

Any ideas what the issue is?

NB: I NEVER see this issue when ripping blu-rays.

click the three hamburger lines in the upper right hand corner of the dvdfab interface,
    click settings - click AV Codec - check "disable all GPU codec for decoding & encoding"
    restart dvdfab and retry your discs again and see if you still have the audio out of sync issue.

Comment

Originally posted by october262 View Post
      click the three hamburger lines in the upper right hand corner of the dvdfab interface,
      click settings - click AV Codec - check "disable all GPU codec for decoding & encoding"
      restart dvdfab and retry your discs again and see if you still have the audio out of sync issue.

Interesting suggestion. I'll give it a try and let you know the results.

Comment

Success! Unticking "disable all GPU codec for decoding & encoding" did the trick.

Thank you for the help. Greatly appreciated!

Question: why did this work? I've been using fab products since 2007 and never encountered this issue. Just curious about the "why" it worked.

Comment

When you use the passthrough profile for the conversion, disabling or enabling GPU should not affect the result.

To confirm:
          For the same DVD source,
          1. MKV passtrough profile, with GPU enabled, has a sync issue?
          2. MKV passtrough profile, with GPU disabled, no sync issue?
          3. Non passthrough profile, with GPU enabled, has sync issue?
          4. Non passthrough profile, with GPU disabled, using Software as codec, no sync issue?

Comment

Originally posted by Mona View Post
            To confirm:
            For the same DVD source,
            1. MKV passtrough profile, with GPU enabled, has a sync issue?
            2. MKV passtrough profile, with GPU disabled, no sync issue?
            3. Non passthrough profile, with GPU enabled, has sync issue?
            4. Non passthrough profile, with GPU disabled, using Software as codec, no sync issue?
            1. Yes, but intermittent. Some ripped dvds will be exactly 250ms out of sync; some will be okay
            2. Yes, but intermittent. Some ripped dvds will be exactly 250ms out of sync; some will be okay
            3. No issues
            4. No issues

I was premature in my reply saying that "Unticking "disable all GPU codec for decoding & encoding" did the trick." After ripping several dvds, the problem is intermittent. Sometimes the audio is out of sync, sometimes it is not.

Comment

Working...
            X