X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dune HBOMax Glitchy

Hello all,
    I DLed the "Dune" from HBOMax.
    And it seemed to download fine, when watching back each time it went past teh WB Tower to the WB logo it glitched and made the screen gray for about 25 seconds.
    I found it odd, than I DLed it again. Same results.
    I am using
    Streamfab V2.0.2.5

any ideas as to what might make this happen?

4k or 1080p?

I'm watching the 4k now. No problem.

Also be aware bug of downloading from HBO Max at H265, even when h264 is selected in settings is still happening. So the 1080p is downloading as h265/HEVC with HDR10. That could impact play ack I'd your playback equipment doesn't support HDR10.

Comment

not sure what HDR will do on a monitor that doesn't support it, but HDR is currently enabled on this video

Comment

Originally posted by KidJoe View Post
        4k or 1080p?

I'm watching the 4k now. No problem.

Also be aware bug of downloading from HBO Max at H265, even when h264 is selected in settings is still happening. So the 1080p is downloading as h265/HEVC with HDR10. That could impact play ack I'd your playback equipment doesn't support HDR10.
        1080p.
        How does one disable this "HDR10"?

Comment

Originally posted by potenial_user View Post
          not sure what HDR will do on a monitor that doesn't support it, but HDR is currently enabled on this video
          The Colors might not look right. It depends on if your play back equipment supports HDR-> SDR tone mapping.

EDIT: That being said... Apparently Plex server for Windows DOES do HDR->SDR Tone Mapping and it is enabled on mine. I just went into the play room and tried watching the 1080p HDR10 download using Plex on FireTV Cube (1st gen) which supports 4K and HDR, connected to my Sony KDL46XBR6 which is only 1080p and does not support HDR, yet it looks fine. Same in the spare bedroom using Plex on ROKU Streaming Stick+ with an old Samsung 37" 1080p that doesn't support HDR.

When I toggle the server setting off, the playback is almost gray scale, with little to no color.
          Last edited by KidJoe; 10-25-2021, 07:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nightwingken View Post

1080p.
            The only way appears to be download H264/AVC, and NOT H265/HEVC. But due to a bug in StreamFab, its not respecting the H264 vs H265 toggle for HBO Max.

Comment

theoretically you could probably re-encode without the hdr10 enabled... but this is less than optimal as it will result in a some quality loss

Comment

Originally posted by potenial_user View Post
                theoretically you could probably re-encode without the hdr10 enabled... but this is less than optimal as it will result in a some quality loss
                BTW, this is what I may have to do if they do not fix this issue (which has been around for several weeks already) in the next couple of weeks as Dune is leaving HBO Max in a couple of weeks

Comment

Ok, I downloaded for the third time and it is glitchy on VLC play back and the pic stops.
                  I put it on my movie drive and i get sound , but no pic on my tv.
                  I also cannot FF it. It is only happened to "Dune" everything else has always worked using the same methodology.
                  What log would I post to help you diagnose it?
                  Last edited by nightwingken; 10-26-2021, 05:34 PM.

Comment

here are my settings . I do not have a 4K tv
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	settings.jpg
Views:	560
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	401677

Comment

here are my settings . I do not have a 4K tv
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	settings.jpg Views:	1 Size:	28.9 KB ID:	401677
                      If you do not have a 4k tv, uncheck the "Download HBO Max videos in 4k HDR/DV..." As you might be experiencing issues due to downloading a 4k video the player trying to format that to play on your 1080p tv.
                      Last edited by KidJoe; 10-26-2021, 08:22 PM.

Comment

Ok, is this a new thing? In that I never had to "uncheck it before" .
                        Thank you

Comment

Ok, is this a new thing? In that I never had to "uncheck it before" .
                          Thank you
                          Its relatively new. It was added in 4.0.2.0. But there are only a select number of movies on HBOMax that are 4k (List is here https://help.hbomax.com/us/Answer/Detail/000001167 ).

With this option set, StreamFab will download at 4K for the movies on the HBO list, otherwise it will download 1080p (or 720p if you adjust that resolution drop down).

Comment

And it downloaded fine, Thank you for diagnosing that

Originally posted by KidJoe View Post
                            Its relatively new. It was added in 4.0.2.0. But there are only a select number of movies on HBOMax that are 4k (List is here https://help.hbomax.com/us/Answer/Detail/000001167 ).

With this option set, StreamFab will download at 4K for the movies on the HBO list, otherwise it will download 1080p (or 720p if you adjust that resolution drop down).

Comment

1080p.
                              Its fixed now in 5.0.0.4.

If you go Settings -> VIP Services... and set:
                              Video Codec (Amazon & HBO Max) = H264
                              Audio Codec (selected if Available) = EAC3/AC3
                              Video Resolution = Full HD - 1080p
                              Download HBO Max videos in 4K HDR/Dolby Vision quality if available = UNchecked

It will download DUNE as H264/AVC, 1080p, no HDR, with 768kb/s 48kHz, 6 channel, E-AC-3 JOC (Dolby Digital Plus with Dolby Atmos)

Comment

Working...
                              X