5.0.2.9 Disney, Peacock, & Channel4 Extremely Slow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5.0.2.9 Disney, Peacock, & Channel4 Extremely Slow

For the last few versions of streamfab, the Disney, Peacock, & Channel4 downloaders have been terribly slow for me. Disney being the slowest, and next up is Peacock. They are downloading way slower than just watching the videos in real time. Why is this happening? I'm not sure what version it started in, but I bumped down to 5.0.2.7 on one of my computers and disney is still crawling at 140kbps download. It used to download 20-30mbps. What's happening? Is anyone else experiencing these bad slowdowns? It's been happening over the last couple of months. The only ones for me that run really fast are Amazon, Hulu, and sometimes Discovery (hit or miss). Paramount has slowed way down too. They all used to download fast for me in the early 5.0.x.x versions. This isn't a network issue on my end.

Comment

Originally posted by corey75 View Post
      This isn't a network issue on my end.
      Not trying to be sarcastic or mean or anything but that's what they all say. How can StreamFAB affect the download speed after it has analysed the actual file location? When you come down to it SF is just a browser that also downloads. The only slowness you might see that can be blamed on SF is during the Processing and Remux phases of the handling of the file.

You don't list where you are located. Channel4 is GB only. Peacock is US only. One way or the other a VPN is needed for either or both of those depending on where you are located. VPNs are notorious for slowdowns. Disney has multiple sources so that is a wild card when it comes to VPN or not.

I'd suggest a ping test. Maybe not so much for if you are using a VPN as that gets complicated to follow. In a regular browser find the actual URL for the video file you want to download using either the IDM program or The Stream Detector. I have not tried looking yet but I'm pretty sure the actual URL is probably listed in the StreamFAB log somewhere, too. Once you have the actual URL you can run a Ping or Traceroute to see where there might be slowdowns. Compare this to a video file/provider that you aren't seeing any slowdowns.

Comment

Originally posted by Cats4U View Post

Not trying to be sarcastic or mean or anything but that's what they all say. How can StreamFAB affect the download speed after it has analysed the actual file location? When you come down to it SF is just a browser that also downloads. The only slowness you might see that can be blamed on SF is during the Processing and Remux phases of the handling of the file.

You don't list where you are located. Channel4 is GB only. Peacock is US only. One way or the other a VPN is needed for either or both of those depending on where you are located. VPNs are notorious for slowdowns. Disney has multiple sources so that is a wild card when it comes to VPN or not.

I'd suggest a ping test. Maybe not so much for if you are using a VPN as that gets complicated to follow. In a regular browser find the actual URL for the video file you want to download using either the IDM program or The Stream Detector. I have not tried looking yet but I'm pretty sure the actual URL is probably listed in the StreamFAB log somewhere, too. Once you have the actual URL you can run a Ping or Traceroute to see where there might be slowdowns. Compare this to a video file/provider that you aren't seeing any slowdowns.
        It downloads at a FRACTION of the time it would take to watch the entire episode in another browser with no interruptions, so therefore the speed is way slower in streamfab. This is something that has recently been going on since their last 8-10 updates that hasn't been fixed since. It was working fine until a couple of months ago and now all of a sudden streamfab is baaaaaad with the speeds on those modules. Was working fine with normal fast speeds until an earlier update that broke it. Hasn't been fine since. As you can clearly see in the image, it's still in the download phase at that speed. It hasn't even reached the processing phase. The processing and remuxing go fast. The DOWNLOAD is slow.

Comment

If you are willing to and want to pay for it, you can try to test it up againts RedFox AnyStream Plus.
          Does not cover Channel4 or Peacock though to my knowledge, but it does cover the basics that can be used world wide without using VPN.
          Then you can stick to that one instead if you fell like that it performs better.

Comment

It downloads at a FRACTION of the time it would take to watch the entire episode in another browser with no interruptions, so therefore the speed is way slower in streamfab. This is something that has recently been going on since their last 8-10 updates that hasn't been fixed since. It was working fine until a couple of months ago and now all of a sudden streamfab is baaaaaad with the speeds on those modules. Was working fine with normal fast speeds until an earlier update that broke it. Hasn't been fine since. As you can clearly see in the image, it's still in the download phase at that speed. It hasn't even reached the processing phase. The processing and remuxing go fast. The DOWNLOAD is slow.
            Well then.

Since you are downloading that one show in the picture I tried to put it into a container running StreamFab for M1 in trial mode. And I can't complain, it is downloading at the max of my 4G connection out here.

Reading your replies you don't think it's a network problem. But it sure sounds like one.

Could be an overloaded CDN, Bad connection from you to the CDN or you being throttled for some reason when the service notices you are downloading the file and not streaming it.

Anyhow it sounds like it is time for you to do some troubleshooting on your end to find the problem.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot 2022-04-21 at 20.54.38.png Views:	75 Size:	255.2 KB ID:	408913

Comment

do you have another connection you can test such a a cellular connection to see
              if streamfab downloads any faster ??

Comment

[QUOTE=R3C01L;n408912]

It downloads at a FRACTION of the time it would take to watch the entire episode in another browser with no interruptions, so therefore the speed is way slower in streamfab. This is something that has recently been going on since their last 8-10 updates that hasn't been fixed since. It was working fine until a couple of months ago and now all of a sudden streamfab is baaaaaad with the speeds on those modules. Was working fine with normal fast speeds until an earlier update that broke it. Hasn't been fine since. As you can clearly see in the image, it's still in the download phase at that speed. It hasn't even reached the processing phase. The processing and remuxing go fast. The DOWNLOAD is slow.[/QUOTE

Well then.

Since you are downloading that one show in the picture I tried to put it into a container running StreamFab for M1 in trial mode. And I can't complain, it is downloading at the max of my 4G connection out here.

Reading your replies you don't think it's a network problem. But it sure sounds like one.

Could be an overloaded CDN, Bad connection from you to the CDN or you being throttled for some reason when the service notices you are downloading the file and not streaming it.

Anyhow it sounds like it is time for you to do some troubleshooting on your end to find the problem.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2022-04-21 at 20.54.38.png
Views:	394
Size:	255.2 KB
ID:	408913
                Let the video download completely and then come back and give me a valid response on how long it takes until completion. Again, not a network issue on MY END.

Comment

Originally posted by october262 View Post

do you have another connection you can test such a a cellular connection to see
                  if streamfab downloads any faster ??
                  Yes, and in multiple locations and it's the same result.

Comment

It's a shame that you won't take a little extra time to find out why it is slow before pointing fingers. When I worked for the Internet department of a well known cable company we would be running traceroutes from the customer's CMTS to a location while the customer was still telling us his tale of woe. It took us seconds to get a rough idea as to where the problem was. Going from the CMTS (basically a box,usually somewhere outdoors, where you and your neighbors all connect to the ISP's line to their headend) helps to eliminate the customer's home setup from the test. If we found trouble between the CMTS and the location in question then we'd check our list of known outages/problems or send out possible problem reports to our higher techs to be checked out. If there were no problems between the CMTS and the location then it had to be something on the customer's side, either software or hardware including the cable line from the house to the CMTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Per K View Post
                      If you are willing to and want to pay for it, you can try to test it up againts RedFox AnyStream Plus.
                      Does not cover Channel4 or Peacock though to my knowledge, but it does cover the basics that can be used world wide without using VPN.
                      Then you can stick to that one instead if you fell like that it performs better.
                      I have that program and just tried disney over there. I am getting good speeds with them. Just downloaded a 20 minute episode in 51 seconds averaging 17-20MBPS. The same one on streamfab took 46 minutes!

Thanks for the response. I completely forgot about disney over there. I'm so used to using amazon & hulu on that platform. Thank you for the reminder! It still doesn't excuse the slowness here at streamfab. But as many have said before, I am wrong and it's my fault for my network... uh, ok, sure it's not streamfab... Interesting it works well in everything else but again, it's my network having the issue LOL. I design networks for a living, I think I know what I'm doing.

Full scale version of this image here: https://ibb.co/tPDkg8B
                      Last edited by corey75; 04-22-2022, 12:11 AM.

Comment

[QUOTE=corey75;n408921]
                        Originally posted by R3C01L View Post

Let the video download completely and then come back and give me a valid response on how long it takes until completion. Again, not a network issue on MY END.
                        The episode 2 download crashed on muxing. But Episode 1 completed in about 6 minutes with 1 audio track and all subs selected.

One thing I notice in your picture though is that you have about 4000 segments downloading ? So I am guessing that you are pulling more or less all the audio tracks that are available.

This will indeed slow down the download since StreamFab only pulls between 2-4 audio segments per seconds. So if you are downloading an episode that has say 250 segments of video that portion will download in 2-4 minutes even on my connection and in even less time on a faster connection while the audio portion of 3750 will take around 15-17 minutes to complete.

I have no idea why it is being done this way.

​​​​​​But maybe Mona can shed some light on it?

Comment

Very weird indeed.

Comment

Thank you for the report, the developer will check the download speed problem and improve it.

Comment

Originally posted by Cats4U View Post

It's a shame that you won't take a little extra time to find out why it is slow before pointing fingers. When I worked for the Internet department of a well known cable company we would be running traceroutes from the customer's CMTS to a location while the customer was still telling us his tale of woe. It took us seconds to get a rough idea as to where the problem was. Going from the CMTS (basically a box,usually somewhere outdoors, where you and your neighbors all connect to the ISP's line to their headend) helps to eliminate the customer's home setup from the test. If we found trouble between the CMTS and the location in question then we'd check our list of known outages/problems or send out possible problem reports to our higher techs to be checked out. If there were no problems between the CMTS and the location then it had to be something on the customer's side, either software or hardware including the cable line from the house to the CMTS.
                              Already been checked. There's no problem with the CMTS. It works just fine in every other application, device and browser. It's slow on streamfab ONLY. I don't know how many times I have to say this. It's a shame you don't fully view my posts.

Comment

Working...
                              X