Google is deprecating the Widevine CDM for Chrome and Chromium-based browsers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cats4U View Post

Looks like they finally found someone to be a payment provider late yesterday and just in time. They've got to get those CC payments in before all hell breaks loose on Dec. 6th. Their policy is twenty-one days free trial and then no refund. What is twenty-one days from today? 11/13/22. Like I said before, they seem to make a decent product based on comments here on this forum but I just sense an air of sleaziness about them. I don't trust them. I get the same feeling from the folks at PlayOn.

Mike, I'm an old fart, I don't do Bitcoin.
    The tone of the mod aside, I haven't found them to be sleazy - quite the contrary.

I was able to use my MC (the only card they took, then) to purchase the product earlier last year - the only problem I had was with my bank as it was a debit card, which kept blocking my purchase until I just got someone on the phone who cleared it as I made the purchase. Originally, I think it just downloaded Amazon and Netflix, then about 5 months later they came up with the upgraded version that had HBOMax, hulu and Disney+. I was pretty cheesed off as the lifetime license I'd purchased made it sound like it would include any improvements, and said so on the forum. I'd also just missed a sale on the upgrade, so I was pretty raw about that, too. They came back to me with an offer of 40% off that upgrade, which was actually well below the sale price that I'd just missed. FYI, I was able to use my Visa (non-debit) at that point, with no problem - that was about a year ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Down2Earth View Post

Angry Fox, that is a good one...LMAO...no doubt dude is very brash,
      yeah, some of his responses make me think "man what a D"

Comment

Like I said before, they seem to make a decent product based on comments here on this forum but I just sense an air of sleaziness about them. I don't trust them. I get the same feeling from the folks at PlayOn.

Mike, I'm an old fart, I don't do Bitcoin.
        Call me an old fart too, i don't do Bitcoin either. I wouldn't know where to start. Thankfully my one MasterCard works for international purchases. Its been used for the Fab products ive purchased and the Fox stuff.

As for sleaziness of Fox, there is a back story of the previous owner taking everything and them having to start over (meaning invalidating lifetime licenses, etc). I got hit by that, and the way it was handled was very shady. It was what drove me to Passkey and DVDFab. So I was very hesitant to buy from the Fox again. If StreamFab fixed HBOMax 1080p quicker, I would have never bought Fox.

But yes, its a good product. It compliments StreamFab very nicely. Having both StreamFab and theirs has allowed me to download pretty much everything I've wanted.

And don't get me started on Playon! they are the worst! rename the app (don't even change the look or version numbering) to invalidate the lifetime licenses, and offer only monthly/yearly licenses on the "new" product. I will never go back to them.

Comment

Mona,
          You might have skipped over this thread during your workday on Monday because at first glance it appears to be just idle user chatter. Things got a little sidetracked with this discussion. I have no one to blame but myself since I was the one that brought up "Angryfox" at the competition. It seems that almost everyone has the same opinion of him. You are truly the antithesis of him and that makes for a much friendlier forum here.

Anyway, this discussion was supposed to be about the upcoming deprecating of the current Widevine DRM on Dec. 6th. Please see msg. #1 and 2 above for articles on the subject, although more and more articles are being written all the time now (search a good Internet news source). I wonder if you could comment on whether the developer is aware of this and what plans and preparations they have made. Do they feel that they are confident that they will have a fully working StreamFab with the new Widevine in place on Dec. 6th?

Comment

Anyway, this discussion was supposed to be about the upcoming deprecating of the current Widevine DRM on Dec. 6th. Please see msg. #1 and 2 above for articles on the subject, although more and more articles are being written all the time now (search a good Internet news source). I wonder if you could comment on whether the developer is aware of this and what plans and preparations they have made. Do they feel that they are confident that they will have a fully working StreamFab with the new Widevine in place on Dec. 6th?
            Yeah, sorry about getting side tracked.

Mona if you can provide any insight or response on the first 2 posts of this thread, we'd appreciate!!!

Comment

Playon has been wonderful, have you had issues with them, more issues than here, you know what I mean I hope.
              Programmer in Python,Java,JavaScript,Swift,PHP,SQL,C#,C++,Go,R

Comment

Originally posted by Chameleon View Post
                Playon has been wonderful, have you had issues with them, more issues than here, you know what I mean I hope.
                My problem with PlayOn was that I purchased a lifetime product... albeit lifetime is whenever the developer determines the life is over... However, they released PlayOn Desktop as PlayOn Home under the guise that Windows no longer supported something under the hood... The same GUI, product, everything was re-released as a subscription based module. To boot, they only gave existing lifetime users 3 months... not a year, not 2, but 3 months. I know it's only $5 a months, but still that change wasn't cool.

Comment

Originally posted by KidJoe View Post
                  Yeah, sorry about getting side tracked.
                  Not your fault. I was the one that made the mistake of mentioning both "AngryFox" and PlayOn.

I should have tried the Weaver "To StreamFab Moderators....." method initially but that doesn't seem to work either.

Comment

Not your fault. I was the one that made the mistake of mentioning both "AngryFox" and PlayOn.

I should have tried the Weaver "To StreamFab Moderators....." method initially but that doesn't seem to work either.

I'm really grateful that you brought this to my attention, at least. I was gonna take a break before visiting Prime Australia, and now that I know what could be coming down the pike, I'm forewarned and will act accordingly. Again, much appreciation for the heads up.

Comment

Google is deprecating the Widevine CDM for Chrome and Chromium-based browsers on December 6th. StreamFab uses CEF (Chromium Embedded Framework) which is a Chromium-based browser. Effect on StreamFab unknown, perhaps nothing, perhaps something. Comment from member of StreamFab staff would be welcomed.

Article: https://www.xda-developers.com/googl...-for-chromium/

From the developer:
                      CDM is going to do some big updates.
                      Google Chrome Canary has already used 4.10.2557.0.

It certainly will have an effect on StreamFab for a period, but we have our backup solution to reduce the effect.

I believe our developer will figure it out as we used to, thanks.

Comment

Thank you, Mona.
                        Good to hear that the Developer is already on this and our thoughts go out to him/her with the battle ahead.
                        Let's hope our cat attacks their mouse quickly and decisively.
                        Last edited by Cats4U; 10-28-2022, 06:06 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Working...
                        X