So confused about Apple DRM Removal. Can't find it anywhere

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So confused about Apple DRM Removal. Can't find it anywhere

I have several movies I purchased from Apple. I want to add them to my Plex, but the instructions provided on the DVDfab site are so lacking. It shows the Apple DRM Remover under the launch pad on DVDfab, but it does not appear on mine. Then there is another reference that says the Apple DRM Remover has been integrated with StreamFab, but I don't see anything there. All I can see is the Apple+ downloader.

Can someone please tell me how to remove the DRM from items I purchased on Apple over the years.

The DVDFab Apple DRM removal module has been disabled. For the last several years, it required a convoluted process to use it where you had to download a movie on a machine with the latest iTunes and then transfer to a machine with an old version of iTunes that was compatible with DVDFab. There is another product that I have found that works with that process but it is against forum rules to disclose details. You will have to go to google. A simpler method to get a DRM free version of a movie you purchased from iTunes is to set up a Movies Anywhere account and then use Streamfab to download it from another Movies Anywhere streaming service such as Amazon.

Comment

There is nothing to be confused about. It doesn't work.
      Programmer in Python,Java,JavaScript,Swift,PHP,SQL,C#,C++,Go,R

Comment

KLineberry

To expand on what FredH and Chameleon have said...

The DVDFAB DRM Removal for Apple (iOS/iTunes), which was located under Launch Pad in the DVDFAB app, had been discontinued a long time ago. The old discussion section of the form had also been hidden, but you can still find it if you search for old posts ( https://forum.dvdfab.cn/forum/dvdfab...ab-drm-removal ). And at one point the product info/purchase page had a big red note saying discontinued/don't purchase and it was later hidden also.

It was discontinued because it couldn't remove DRM from videos that required iTunes versions newer than iTunes v12.9.0.167, which was becoming more and more common and FAB wasn't able to fix it (they couldn't break the newer DRM)

Those who had previously purchased it, should still be able to install and use it in DVDFAB. Of course the iTunes v12.9.0.167 limit still applies for movies. When it comes to Music, it still works for me, even with newer iTunes versions installed. If you did NOT purchase it before it was discontinued, it should not show in DVDFAB.

Yes, StreamFab does have an AppleTV+ downloader, BUT AppleTV+ web site is different than iTunes. AppleTV+ web site only has the AppleTV+ movies and shows. It does not have your iTunes PURCHAED movies and shows. And yes, the AppleTV+ app on Roku, FireTV, Android TV, etc. does show your purchases, including your iTunes movies/shows, but the AppleTV+ web site, which Streamfab accesses, does NOT.

The alternative:

If MoviesAnywhere is available in your geography, create an account, link it with Amazon Prime, and download the movies using StreamFab's Amazon module. You'll get better quality than iTunes and DRM remover ever gave.

That being said, MoviesAnywhere isn't available everywhere, and there are some major studios like Paramount, MGM, Lionsgate, and smaller studios, that don't participate in MoviesAnywhere, so their movies won't transfer to Amazon Prime Video. Also TV Shows are not supported this way, so they won't show in Amazon either.

Going forward, instead of purchasing via iTunes, hope its MoviesAnywhere and download using StreamFab's Amazon downloader. Like when purchasing movies, I check for the title in Vudu, since they have clear indications of MA and the studio, or the MoviesAnywhere app. If it's not an MA eligible title, I buy in Amazon so I can download with StreamFab. If it is MA eligible, I buy wherever it's cheapest.

I do also understand that non-movies anywhere tiles on DISC that come with Digital code do not allow redeeming the digital code in Amazon (for example, in the USA, they have option to redeem in iTunes or Vudu. In that case, you are out of luck.

See also https://forum.dvdfab.cn/forum/softwa...brary-question
        Last edited by KidJoe; 07-18-2023, 01:53 PM.

Comment

Thank you everyone for your responses! I do have the old version of iTunes installed, but I did not already have the Apple DRM Remover purchased ahead of time. DVDfab really needs to do a better job of explaining things on their website and spend a little more time on support other than SELL SELL SELL!!!!

I no longer use Apple for purchases, but I had a few movies and seasons of NCIS and Fringe that were purchased through Apple. I switched to Amazon a while back when I realized they would be more "downloadable".

We do have Movies Anywhere in our area (USA), so I will try that. I was really miffed when Vudu disabled the ability to download and am trying to get all of our movies and shows downloaded to our Plex server before any other providers follow suit.

Comment

Here is on the DVDFab site updated on 6/7 saying Stream Fab removes DRM from iTunes files???

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	1615
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	428751

Comment

Originally posted by KLineberry View Post
              Here is on the DVDFab site updated on 6/7 saying Stream Fab removes DRM from iTunes files???

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	1615
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	428751
              It's not supported. The marketing staff will correct the description as soon as possible.

Comment

Thank you everyone for your responses! I do have the old version of iTunes installed, but I did not already have the Apple DRM Remover purchased ahead of time. DVDfab really needs to do a better job of explaining things on their website and spend a little more time on support other than SELL SELL SELL!!!!
                Oftencommunication isn't their strong suit. It took them a long time of saying "we're working on it..." then went silent, then just updated the web page with no real announcement when the DVDFAB DRM Removal for Apple (iOS/iTunes) was finally discontinued.

I no longer use Apple for purchases, but I had a few movies and seasons of NCIS and Fringe that were purchased through Apple. I switched to Amazon a while back when I realized they would be more "downloadable". They have also had improper information on DVDFab Downloader/StreamFab on their web pages in the past too.

We do have Movies Anywhere in our area (USA), so I will try that. I was really miffed when Vudu disabled the ability to download and am trying to get all of our movies and shows downloaded to our Plex server before any other providers follow suit.
                I do the same thing. And I have about 50 movies from the Ultraviolet days, as well as some VUDU purchases (movies on sale) that are NOT eligible for MoviesAnywhere.

Thankfully over time, most have been added to Prime, MAX, or Paramount+ so I was eventually able to download them with StreamFab.

I do wish FAB would/could add Vudu to StreamFab. It would make my life so much easier. Vudu often has some great sales on titles from non-MA studios, but I wont buy them without a way to download them (without DRM).

Comment

This tool does exist and works fine. I used it this week. https://www.dvdfab.cn/drm-removal.htm. You just have to use it on old iTunes. They have a like to the iTunes installer on the page. To run it, run Dvdfab and go to the launchpad and look for Apple DRM removal tool

I'm just not sure up to what year you can download. Eg Underwater (2020) works but not Those Who Wish Me Dead (2021). So somewhere between those.

Comment

Just another note, 2020 does seem to be the end date. I just purchased Baaghi 2 (2020) and it converted fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Mobe1969 View Post
                      Just another note, 2020 does seem to be the end date. I just purchased Baaghi 2 (2020) and it converted fine.
                      That pretty much means it doesn't work anymore. 3 years, it doesnt work.
                      Programmer in Python,Java,JavaScript,Swift,PHP,SQL,C#,C++,Go,R

Comment

Working...
                      X