Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Disney + - The Simpsons in original aspect ration (4:3)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

StreamFab for Windows Disney + - The Simpsons in original aspect ration (4:3)

Hi,

Can anyone let me know if it is possible to download The Simpson from Disney+ in the original aspect ration (i.e. 4:3).

I've tried changing the Video options in the drop down menu in the downloader but they're all 16:9.

To play them via the browser, there's a toggle button in the Details section for "Remastered aspect ratio" and if you untoggle that, it plays the episodes in 4:3.

I'm using StreamFab for Windows 6.1.6.6

Thanks.

Originally posted by Sky West View Post
    Hi,

Can anyone let me know if it is possible to download The Simpson from Disney+ in the original aspect ration (i.e. 4:3).

I've tried changing the Video options in the drop down menu in the downloader but they're all 16:9.

To play them via the browser, there's a toggle button in the Details section for "Remastered aspect ratio" and if you untoggle that, it plays the episodes in 4:3.

I'm using StreamFab for Windows 6.1.6.6

Thanks.
    Version 6.1.6.7. here, and unfortunately even S1E1 is only downloadable in 16:9. It's not just SF, you can't get it with the competition because that's Disney's default display - which is too bad, as it means the top and bottom of the picture are cropped for the first 20 1/2 seasons. That toggle is a viewing feature so you can see them as they were originally broadcast.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot 2024-04-08 04.27.36.png Views:	0 Size:	119.4 KB ID:	440427
    Last edited by artsunlimited; 04-08-2024, 08:53 AM.

Comment

Thanks artsunlimited. I had a feeling it wouldn't be possible but I thought it was worth checking, as the 4:3 versions must be somewhere on their site but I remember there've been issues accessing Amazon bonus content etc. so I'm not too surprised.

Comment

I downloaded them in 4:3 aspect ratio in June 2020. That was before StreamFab, and I used screen capture software (P###on) that did an on-the-fly encoding to H.264. I signed up for Disney+ in December 2019 primarily to download The Simpsons. At that time the episodes were all cropped 16:9, although they had been available in 4:3 before that on other streaming platforms. Disney promised to quickly make them available in 4:3, but it took them 6 months to come through on that. As an aside, that puts StreamFab's current DRM problem in perspective. I dropped Disney+ once I had the Simpsons, so I can't help troubleshoot the current issue. I remember having to change my default playback to 4:3 on the Disney+ site, but the screen capture software would of course download the same video presented to a browser. Have you viewed the 1920x1080 download? It may be that the 4:3 version is encoded pillarboxed in what appears to be 16:9 aspect ratio.

Comment

Hi,

Thanks.
          Toggling that option in the app works for me (it carries over into Streamfab). When you said "browser" I don't know if you meant the Disney app. If you really did mean a browser, try toggling the option in the Disney app and then downloading.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffDavis View Post
            It may be that the 4:3 version is encoded pillarboxed in what appears to be 16:9 aspect ratio.
            Nope, it's a true 16:9, but as wyhtmgm seems to have found a workaround people can have their preference.

Originally posted by wyhtmgm View Post
            Toggling that option in the app works for me (it carries over into Streamfab). When you said "browser" I don't know if you meant the Disney app. If you really did mean a browser, try toggling the option in the Disney app and then downloading.
            Clever, using the browser to get SF to comply - I haven't tried it yet but I'm very happy to be proven wrong! Now if someone could just figure out how to download all those Disney+ "extras" ...​

Comment

When I downloaded in 2022 using StreamFab, I visited the D+ web site, used that toggle on the details tab and set it to DISABLED/OFF.

The downloads from StreamFab are 1280x720 files, BUT the image is 4:3. (The black pillar bars are hard coded in the files).

I just tried to download again, with 6.1.7.0, but it doesn't even kick off the analyzing for some reason. I thought D+ was ok in the newer SF versions??

EDIT: that was odd, I had to pick a movie which started analyzing, then went back to Simpsons and it analyzed and gave me download selection list, I was able to add and start downloading.

Now with the leaked keys, its giving me 1080p (1920x1080) files, but the image inside is still 4:3. again black bars are burn into the file.
              Last edited by KidJoe; 04-08-2024, 05:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by KidJoe View Post
                Now with the leaked keys, its giving me 1080p (1920x1080) files, but the image inside is still 4:3. again black bars are burn into the file.
                Hmm, I may sign up again with Disney+ to re-download if StreamFab can grab them in Full HD.

Comment

Originally posted by wyhtmgm View Post

Thanks, that fixed it.

Just so everyone is clear, I logged into Disney+ on a separate browser, toggled the "Remastered aspect ratio" in the Details tab in The Simpsons, copied the url to StreamFab, started the episode playing and then stopped it again. It was at this point that it started analysing the folder and eventually allowed me to add all the episodes as 4:3 (although the aspect ratios in the module were still for 16:9).

It's strange how perfect they look in 4:3 now, so I'm glad there was a fix.

Comment

Working...
                  X