Download speed extremely slow!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by artsunlimited View Post

Lucky you. I tried to download Scoop and while the download phase was reasonable, after 20 minutes of "processing" that moved the bar only 1/5 of the way and was using an average of 80% of my CPU I cancelled, because it was obviously not doing a direct download.
    I hadn't tried that one but did this morning. It took me14 minutes from start to finish. Processing did take the most time for me but didn't spike my CPU. I was watching my processes during that time and I saw StreamClient.exe working during the processing time.
    I also downloaded Atlas, one of the ones they said was ok now and it only took me 3 minutes start to finish. I watched and didn't see StreamClient.exe working this time.

So it does seem like StreamClient.exe is doing recoding, like others have mentioned on various threads.

Even though it takes longer to recode, at least I can get the movies I want now.

What is the downside of recoding?

In other posts, they mentioned to remove/rename StreamClient.exe and it would not recode. Can I download the movie then? Would the resolution not be 1080p? Just not sure what will happen when I rename that file.

Thanks,
    Chuck

Comment

Originally posted by crarbo1 View Post

I hadn't tried that one but did this morning. It took me14 minutes from start to finish. Processing did take the most time for me but didn't spike my CPU. I was watching my processes during that time and I saw StreamClient.exe working during the processing time.
      I also downloaded Atlas, one of the ones they said was ok now and it only took me 3 minutes start to finish. I watched and didn't see StreamClient.exe working this time.

So it does seem like StreamClient.exe is doing recoding, like others have mentioned on various threads.

Even though it takes longer to recode, at least I can get the movies I want now.

What is the downside of recoding?

In other posts, they mentioned to remove/rename StreamClient.exe and it would not recode. Can I download the movie then? Would the resolution not be 1080p? Just not sure what will happen when I rename that file.

Thanks,
      Chuck
      Yup. If you saw StreamClient.exe working, and you did a professional uninstallation of any screen recorder version of SF before installing 6.1.8.1., then this version isn't entirely a direct downloader and your 14-minute video wasn't a direct download.

Direct downloads and screen recordings/re-encodings are two different things. A direct download is just that - the DRM encryption is bypassed so the file can be downloaded directly from the source. A screen recorder doesn't download anything, and relies on re-encoding: it streams the video and records it at a high rate of speed at your desired resolution, then reformats it. It's that processing phase that takes time, as it's not only dependent on the file length, but your CPU, memory speed and drive type. The "downside" is that the result will NOT have the same video or audio quality as a direct download because it's a screen recording. If the video has ads, removing them increases the odds that the video will go out of sync with the audio, the longer it plays.​

If you don't want anything but a direct download, rename or change the file extension so SF can't find it, as Sebastian001 suggested on the Netflix thread. What will happen, is that you should be able to download, but not screen record as you'll get an error or failure.

But as apparently Streamfab can sometimes crash as a result, maybe because it keeps looking for that file when it can't do a direct download, if you don't want a re-encoded screen recording you can simply cancel or delete the the process as soon as you see StreamClient.exe at work.

The movie Madame Web will not download 720 much less 1080, it still downloads at 540p. I was able to download Atlas (which downloaded at 720p before, anyway) and Godzilla Minus One at 1080p, though.
      Last edited by artsunlimited; 06-09-2024, 05:04 PM.

Comment

No speed issue here but I jumped straight to 6182. Starts out 100 Mbs then goes faster the longer it goes.

Comment

Working...
        X