Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chameleon View Post
    Hi Bud
    Your 64-bit link is wrong. But the whole post is great. Thanks for the precise instructions. In my opinion, this should never have to be done. This is a part of this program that Fab has to fix. No company should have an installer, and the customer has to follow an instructional thread to install their software. This must be fixed.
    I have never resolved a problem with a clean install. It either randomly starts working, or sometimes, after the standard canned support response of deleting the log or cache folder. Of course deleting cache means you're logged out of everything again, including youtube, which is a bitch to get back

Comment

Originally posted by Cats4U View Post

So you prefer to use the built-in Microsoft uninstaller that leaves an enormous amount of stuff behind or to simply overwrite one version with another, leaving the possibility that a portion of a configuration file or registry remains from a previous version causing a hybrid that doesn't work. This is what was happening when the developer kept switching back and forth between stream downloading and screen recording (aka - re-encoding). Go back and read the forum messages from that time period and see all the failures and crashes that were reported.
      Microsoft has nothing to do with it. It's the program writer's responsibility to take care these things. Always has been always will be.

You can tell how well a program is by the trace it leaves when it's uninstalled.

Edit: Since I'm shutting this system down probably till Saturday, I'll Add...

The issue is not with how good or bad the in/uninstaller for SF works. It's how they are handling changes to Settings. Instead of keeping the same name in code and just changing the display or writing a bit of code to convert an old setting that's been depreciated to the new. They just change it and expect us to figure it out. Which would be fine if their uninstaller or install in place for an update actually removed all the files, removed whatever registry keys it creates. clear any settings files etc. That's all an installer is after all, a program that copies files, sets default registry keys and if required registers some com objects.

have a good week gents
      Last edited by AGuyWithAComputer; 07-29-2024, 06:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MrGrackle View Post

I have never resolved a problem with a clean install. It either randomly starts working, or sometimes, after the standard canned support response of deleting the log or cache folder. Of course deleting cache means you're logged out of everything again, including youtube, which is a bitch to get back
        The main issue I've run into is stale cached analysis results and cookies. Agreed, logging back in can sometimes be a PITA. P+ and D+ for me can be stubborn sometimes between switching versions. Sometimes it takes three tries.
        Win11 Pro 22H2, no bloatware, no spyware, no crapware, no TPM, no Secure Boot, no MS account. And yes, you can dual boot 7 and 11.

Comment

I have been working in IT since I was 15 and I can tell you, the only time I have ever had to use an alternate, as they call it, a "PROFESSIONAL INSTALLER" multiple times, was with Norton and McAfee. Two of the most hated applications in IT, and they are right there with them. There are no logs. There are no temp files. Updates fail consistently. Application removal through Windows refuses to run because SF keeps detecting itself running in the background despite no visible traces of it being seen in Task Manager. There's no such thing as a professional installer. This is 100% the responsibility of the application owners to fix instead of communities getting tired of the blatant bait and switch and deceptive practices of the company.

Comment

It is probably QCef.exe. I can't count how many times I've had to kill that damn process when SF didn't exit clean, I had to kill SF or SF crashed.

Norton and McAfee are plague, a joke of what they once were before they were bought out and trashed by conglomerate behemoths. About as effective as a condom with holes in it, twice as annoying and as easy to get rid of as herpes.
            Win11 Pro 22H2, no bloatware, no spyware, no crapware, no TPM, no Secure Boot, no MS account. And yes, you can dual boot 7 and 11.

Comment

Working...
            X