Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you feel about the experience of the SDR to HDR video output visual modes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you feel about the experience of the SDR to HDR video output visual modes?

Hello everyone, I am a member of the UniFab team. Last Friday, UniFab released version 1023, introducing two video display modes to adapt to a variety of viewing scenarios. We are curious about your thoughts and suggestions on these two video display modes. Moreover, if you have any recommendations for other features, please feel free to comment below this post. We will try our utmost to improve our product and aim to bring you a better user experience. Your sincere feedback is greatly appreciated.

Originally posted by Ryan_3 View Post
    Hello everyone, I am a member of the UniFab team. Last Friday, UniFab released version 1023, introducing two video display modes to adapt to a variety of viewing scenarios. We are curious about your thoughts and suggestions on these two video display modes. Moreover, if you have any recommendations for other features, please feel free to comment below this post. We will try our utmost to improve our product and aim to bring you a better user experience. Your sincere feedback is greatly appreciated.
    It works well Ryan, I appreciate all the effort you put into UniFab, I do recommend it.
    Programmer in Python,Java,JavaScript,Swift,PHP,SQL,C#,C++,Go,R

Comment

Originally posted by Chameleon View Post

It works well Ryan, I appreciate all the effort you put into UniFab, I do recommend it.
      It’s great to hear that you’re finding UniFab valuable and thank you for recommending it. Always good to have your feedback.

Comment

Ryan, I was very excited to see another option added. I felt like the original HDR was too bright for comfortable night viewing or use in a dark room so I'm really excited about cinema mode. I have used it on several videos and it seems good to me, but I'm still waiting for some videos to convert to directly compare the two. Overall I'm extremely excited by the feature.

Since you asked about recommendations/other features I have a few that I've mentioned in tickets:
        1) It would be really nice to have the option to adjust settings for an entire group of videos. If I want to change the default settings for an entire TV show I currently have to go edit each episode individually. That can be quite tedious. I'm referring to video size (sometimes it gets it wrong), audio quality, bitrate, file type, etc.
        2) I would like the feature to just pass through the audio without processing. There are some high-bitrate videos with an audio track that UniFab seems to be reducing the quality of while adding HDR.
        3) Keep a history of videos that were in the queue. I occasionally have UniFab or my computer crash while using this program and then find myself having to re-add videos to the queue.
        4) This program takes many hours to run. I've had a video 7 hours into the process before my computer crashes and then I have to start over. Is there any way for UniFab to keep temporary files such that it could resume an SDR to HDR conversion when the computer recovers?
        5) For the HDR feature specifically, are there additional options for the re-encode that we can have access to? I noticed (again I mentioned this in a ticket) that a video file has color banding in the converted product that doesn't exist in the original despite choosing the same bitrate.

Again, super excited with the HDR feature and looking forward to additional work on it!
        Thank you​

Comment

Hi Ryan, this program is coming along splendidly, I am very pleased, its very cheap for what it does, and it works in conjunction with Stream Fab which is another big plus. Keep up the great work.
          Programmer in Python,Java,JavaScript,Swift,PHP,SQL,C#,C++,Go,R

Comment

Originally posted by adowEm View Post
            Ryan, I was very excited to see another option added. I felt like the original HDR was too bright for comfortable night viewing or use in a dark room so I'm really excited about cinema mode. I have used it on several videos and it seems good to me, but I'm still waiting for some videos to convert to directly compare the two. Overall I'm extremely excited by the feature.

Since you asked about recommendations/other features I have a few that I've mentioned in tickets:
            1) It would be really nice to have the option to adjust settings for an entire group of videos. If I want to change the default settings for an entire TV show I currently have to go edit each episode individually. That can be quite tedious. I'm referring to video size (sometimes it gets it wrong), audio quality, bitrate, file type, etc.
            2) I would like the feature to just pass through the audio without processing. There are some high-bitrate videos with an audio track that UniFab seems to be reducing the quality of while adding HDR.
            3) Keep a history of videos that were in the queue. I occasionally have UniFab or my computer crash while using this program and then find myself having to re-add videos to the queue.
            4) This program takes many hours to run. I've had a video 7 hours into the process before my computer crashes and then I have to start over. Is there any way for UniFab to keep temporary files such that it could resume an SDR to HDR conversion when the computer recovers?
            5) For the HDR feature specifically, are there additional options for the re-encode that we can have access to? I noticed (again I mentioned this in a ticket) that a video file has color banding in the converted product that doesn't exist in the original despite choosing the same bitrate.

Again, super excited with the HDR feature and looking forward to additional work on it!
            Thank you​
            Hi adowEm, which video could not output a good quality?
            Did you download it using StreamFab? And could you please specify the video link and provide the StreamFab.log file to us? We will download one to test it, thanks for your support.

Comment

Originally posted by Mona View Post

Hi adowEm, which video could not output a good quality?
              Did you download it using StreamFab? And could you please specify the video link and provide the StreamFab.log file to us? We will download one to test it, thanks for your support.
              No, the video file was a blu-ray rip of a movie, not downloaded using StreamFab. I already uploaded a sample of the video as part of the ticket I opened and can point you to the ticket if needed.

Comment

No, the video file was a blu-ray rip of a movie, not downloaded using StreamFab. I already uploaded a sample of the video as part of the ticket I opened and can point you to the ticket if needed.
                I could not locate the sample you mentioned, what is the file name? Please kindly specify, and also offer us a screenshot of the result of low quality. Thank you.

Meanwhile, please go to the Adavanced Settings panel to set it to use the highest bitrate, there you can manually input one.

Comment

Originally posted by Mona View Post

I could not locate the sample you mentioned, what is the file name? Please kindly specify, and also offer us a screenshot of the result of low quality. Thank you.

Meanwhile, please go to the Adavanced Settings panel to set it to use the highest bitrate, there you can manually input one.
                  I sent you a PM with the details of the file. Basically the issue is illustrated in these pictures where the original (xxx294.png) has smooth color gradation in the left of the frame and the HDR version (xxx631.png) at the same or higher bitrate has color banding where splotches of pixels appear where there should be a gradient.
                  Attached Files

Comment

I sent you a PM with the details of the file. Basically the issue is illustrated in these pictures where the original (xxx294.png) has smooth color gradation in the left of the frame and the HDR version (xxx631.png) at the same or higher bitrate has color banding where splotches of pixels appear where there should be a gradient.
                    OK, thanks for the reply.

Comment

Originally posted by Chameleon View Post
                      Hi Ryan, this program is coming along splendidly, I am very pleased, its very cheap for what it does, and it works in conjunction with Stream Fab which is another big plus. Keep up the great work.
                      Thank you @Chameleon, we will have another important update this week, looking forward to your feedback.​

Comment

Thank you​
                        Hi adowEm, Thank you for your support and for some suggestions on other aspects of UniFab.

1) I would like to confirm, is this problem you’re experiencing related to the HDR Upscaler module? If so, I’ve noted it down for inclusion in our future update plans.
                        2) I hope you can send me the media info before and after processing with this source. Our developers will have a look at the issue.
                        3) & 4) Reducing the incidence of crashes is always our goal, and we strive to prevent such occurrences. We will consider your proposed remedial method.
                        5) Mona has already communicated with you about this matter.

Please get in touch if you encounter any other issues in the future. We greatly appreciate your feedback.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan_3 View Post

Hi adowEm, Thank you for your support and for some suggestions on other aspects of UniFab.

1) I would like to confirm, is this problem you’re experiencing related to the HDR Upscaler module? If so, I’ve noted it down for inclusion in our future update plans.
                          2) I hope you can send me the media info before and after processing with this source. Our developers will have a look at the issue.
                          3) & 4) Reducing the incidence of crashes is always our goal, and we strive to prevent such occurrences. We will consider your proposed remedial method.
                          5) Mona has already communicated with you about this matter.

Please get in touch if you encounter any other issues in the future. We greatly appreciate your feedback.
                          1) Yes this is related to the HDR Upscaler module.If you look in the attached picture the bit rate (which I've manually specified here) needs to be specified for each file as well as the audio bit rate. I would like to set these for an entire batch. I'd also like the bit rate and audio bit rate to default to "same as source" (see how in the picture the audio type has defaulted to this, but the audio bit rate has not). The default video bit rate is huge compared to what most of my input files are.
                          2) Please look at the two screenshots below for Robin Hood (a blu-ray) where the input audio is DTS 1536 kbps and the output (the main 10 profile file) has been reduced to 640 kbps EAC3. In these instances I only want the video changed, not the audio and it would be nice to just pass it through without processing.
                          3/4/5) Thank you

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	316
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	427958
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	264
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	427959

Comment

Just wanted to post an update here. I've used both Cinema and Universal mode for several episodes of Anime and both are washed out with skin tones for bright daytime scenes for certain shows. I switched between the two and didn't notice any visual difference between Cinema and Universal modes for that content. I had hoped the Cinema mode would be toned down a bit since I watch at night, but it doesn't appear to change noticeably.

Comment

Working...
                            X