UniFab Merge totally screwed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UniFab Merge totally screwed

The Merge feature in UniFab Converter is even WORSE that the problems in DVDFab 12!

In DVDFab 12, the merge works and it keeps the same quality, but it loses all chapter marks for any file except the first one.

In UniFab now, the merge REDUCES the quality in the output, and NO CHAPTERS are preserved from ANY input file.

it is just UniBugFab

Comment

This problem is NOT fixed in 2.0.0.2.

I put two .mkv files in the Converter. I selected Merge all files, and I chose the MKV Same as Source profile. Both of the input files had been created by DVDFab, and they BOTH had chapter marks.

The merged output file has NO CHAPTERS.

Even worse, the input files have an Overall bit rate of 1,525 Kb/s, and the merged output file is only 595 Kb/s!

WHY is this so hard???? If the user wants to simply merge two compatible files WITHOUT DOING ANY CONVERSION, there should simply be one item to select, and it should just be done without changing ANYTHING!!!!! I made both of these input files by using DVDFab to rip a two-part movie from a commercial DVD, so they HAD to be compatible, right? All I want to do is stitch them together into a single file for playback.
      Last edited by Mauser; 11-12-2023, 02:52 PM.

Comment

2.0.0.4 This merge problem is PARTIALLY fixed in this release. The good part is that when I used the MP4 profile for output, all the chapter marks for both input files were retained in the merged output file. HOWEVER, when I used MKV profile for output, NO CHAPTER MARKS were preserved at all!

The BAD part is that there is still no passthrough option, and using the profile Same as Source does NOT preserve the original quality and bitrate! When I am merging two files, I do NOT want them re-encoded to some different quality unless I specifically set that.

Another problem is that UniFab just seems to be disappearing at some point at or near the end of the merge task - I mean that the program is no longer shown as running in Windows. I do not know if it is crashing or what - just gone. I will need to do more testing and watch closer to see if there is any other indication when this happens.
        Last edited by Mauser; 12-01-2023, 06:10 PM.

Comment

The passthrough profile is under development.

UniFab just seems to be disappearing at some point at or near the end of the merge task
          We could not duplicate this part. We will need more info to look into this one. Please provide the latest log file. Thanks.

Comment

2.0.0.5 STILL BAD. It seems nothing has changed with this release. The change logs SAYS there is a passthrough feature now, but I cannot find it. My test merges produced exactly the same results I documented above on 12-01-2023.

AND I still have the problem with UniFab just disappearing at the end of the merge tasks. The merge tasks run very very very slow (probably because they are still destroying my output quality by converting to the stupidly low bitrates), but I sat and carefully watched the merged tasks to the very end. When the third task hit 100%, POOF, UniFab just went away. I had touched nothing on the computer when this happened.

I used the offline installer to reinstall UniFab 2.0.0.5 this morning at 07:18, and I ran two merge tests after that, one with MKV Same as Source and the other with MP4 Same as Source profiles. I made no other changes to the task settings. I am attaching today's logs.

UPDATE: In further testing, I did fine the "Video Passthrough" checkbox in the advanced settings for a conversion task, but it is NOT there when I select "Merge all files".

I am running another test now, where I checked that Video passthrough for both input files BEFORE selecting the Merge option, but I quickly got a crash report, so I don't expect much from that.​
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Mauser; 12-09-2023, 06:13 PM.

Comment

2.0.0.6 This problem with Merging two files still not fixed.

Just as with 2.0.0.5. there is no Passthrough option available when you have selected "Merge all files" in the Converter.

So I tested merging two MKV files by selecting the MKV Same as Source profile, and BEFORE selecting "Merge all files" I used the Settings screen for each of the input files to select Video Passthrough. After that, I selected "Merge all files", and the settings for the single file showed the Encoding Method as passthrough. As soon as I hit Start, Converter quickly threw an error and said it had to close (but it did auto-send the crash report).
              Attached Files

Comment

Gee, almost two months later and still absolutely nothing has been done to fix this problem! What a surprise. I have never seen a company that cares so little about how bad their products are that they make absolutely no effort to fix reported errors!

Version 2.0.1.1, and all the problems are EXACTLY as reported above. Still no passthrough capability, still getting silent crashes, still seeing the entire program just disappear.

It is impossible to use this terrible product to merge two .mkv files that were created with DVDFab. What a joke.

Comment

Working...
                X