Best picture quality..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best picture quality..

I’m trying to figure which format is the best from enlarging a MP4. It’s an episode of Slow Horses I downloaded (via StreamFab). Original size is 864x432. I’m experimenting with different HD sizes. Decided to do 720 standard, 720 high, 1080 standard and 1080 high. Did the first 3. Enlarging the 1080 high now. So far for some reason 720 standard looks little better than 720 high. 1080 standard is better than both of the 720s. I’m wondering if the 1080 high gonna be better than 1080 standard. What’s your preference?

Personally I don't use any of the presets. I set the bitrate manually depending on if it's a dvd, Blu-Ray or UHD.

Comment

Originally posted by Diaboyos View Post
      Personally I don't use any of the presets. I set the bitrate manually depending on if it's a dvd, Blu-Ray or UHD.
      Please expand on your thinking on this? What bitrates do you use for each? How about downloaded videos?

Comment

Whether it's a downloaded video or a rip from a disc I use the same bitrate depending on what the file is when I compress it. For DVD's I use 1500-2000 kbps. For Blu-Ray (1080) I use 5100 kbps, although an even 5000 would work just as well and be easier to remember. For UHD (4K) I use 20,600 kbps, although an even 20,000 would work just fine here too and be easier to remember. These numbers will greatly reduce the file size and give a great picture without artifacting or blurring. These are all compressing using x265 and I personally use mkv not mp4 but that shouldn't matter as far as this goes. Some downloaded videos already have a bitrate smaller than that which I would normally use for conversion. In those instances I simply keep the downloaded video as is and don't attempt to convert it as it is already smaller than I would convert it to. Fab 13 and Unifab is not working very well though so I'm still using v12. Hope that helped. If you have any other questions just let me know.

Comment

Diaboyos..... This may be too broad a question..... but can you give any time estimate on taking a 480p MKV H265 file to 1080p?

Current Ignore List: Brozilla, Chameleon

Comment

Originally posted by weavermovies View Post
            Diaboyos..... This may be too broad a question..... but can you give any time estimate on taking a 480p MKV H265 file to 1080p?
            I really couldn't even give an estimate because I never upscale anything but it's going to depend on your cpu, gpu and the length of the video.

Comment

Working...
            X