Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is ripping lossless? Or is there re-encoding?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is ripping lossless? Or is there re-encoding?

Hello everybody,

I want to rip amazon videos in maximum quality. Does the video ripping work lossless or do the videos get re-encoded?

The videos are not re-encoded, it's lossless.

Comment

Originally posted by Mona View Post
      This is 100% not true
      The video and audio are still downloaded separately
      The video is then re-encoded to add the audio back in
      This is why things do, in fact, appear jittery in many cases (including Hulu, Amazon, etc), and why Amazon takes a good bit of time post processing (3-5 minutes, which is admittedly better than it originally was).

Lossless would mean that the video is downloaded straight from the website, nothing is done to it at all. This is not the case here. It is re-encoded

Comment

remuxing (mixing the audio and video together in this case) is not re-encoding, and is a lossless operation (assuming it is /just/ remuxing)

Comment

Also the download is effectively lossless from the provider, this is not to say that the provider did not do any kind of re-encoding to make what they offer smaller that the original from the studio.

Comment

Originally posted by Mona View Post

Hello,

can you please tell whether Hulu and Disney are also lossless downloads ?

Comment

Originally posted by potenial_user View Post
              remuxing (mixing the audio and video together in this case) is not re-encoding, and is a lossless operation (assuming it is /just/ remuxing)
              Just because someone doesn't want to admit it is, doesn't mean it is. It is not lossless, and it is absolutely re-encoding the video.
              If this was downloaded properly, to begin with, it would be 100% lossless

Comment

Hi,

Because of that the video and audio are stored separately on the server of streaming services, and they are encrypted (this is why StreamFab need take 3~5 mins to process the video and then remux the video).

I have no idea if you think that to remux the video and audio with FFMPEG is the re-encode.

And it's easy to identify that the download tool is re-encode or download if check the CPU/GPU usage when downloading the video.

Thanks!

Wilson
                Please post your logs the default location is:
                For DVDFab 13: C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\DVDFab13\Log
                For StreamFab: C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\StreamFab\log
                Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.
                If it's the burning issue, please also attach burn log.

Thanks!

Comment

That's what I was going to type. If a video is being re-encoded at all, CPU and perhaps GPU spikes will happen. It's an easy process to spot. For example, if you use MKVToolNix to remux a movie container, the CPU usage won't go high, but Hard Drive access will. So far the Hulu videos I've downloaded have not been re-encoded. They either fail to download or download. FFMPEG is a slower but consistent tool to use to join stuff together...with a verification check.

Comment

yup,

All remux does is interleave the existing encoded audio/video packets so that they're close to each other for the same time block, instead of having all the audio at the beginning or ending of the file (for instance).

Decrypting is a different operation too, it's generally much faster than encoding but not as fast as remuxing.

Encoding is the part that always loses quality, (even if increasing the bitrate) if you're using a lossy codec (such has h264/h265)

Comment

Thanks a lot for your answers.

Comment

Originally posted by twhiting9275 View Post

This is 100% not true
                        The video is then re-encoded to add the audio back in
                        This is why things do, in fact, appear jittery in many cases (including Hulu, Amazon, etc), and why Amazon takes a good bit of time post processing (3-5 minutes, which is admittedly better than it originally was).

Lossless would mean that the video is downloaded straight from the website, nothing is done to it at all. This is not the case here. It is re-encoded
                        It is not reencoded, You heard Mona tell you so, you are just plain wrong and will not admit it. I have to be careful here, you might be a child so I really dont want you to cry, but just admit your wrong and be done with it. Why are you here anyway if you don't like the program.

Programmer in Python,Java,JavaScript,Swift,PHP,SQL,C#,C++,Go,R

Comment

thread closed.

Wilson
                          Please post your logs the default location is:
                          For DVDFab 13: C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\DVDFab13\Log
                          For StreamFab: C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\StreamFab\log
                          Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.
                          If it's the burning issue, please also attach burn log.

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                          X