Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suggestion - Compensation for outages...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suggestion - Compensation for outages...

I realize that the developers are working hard to resolve the issues, and the changes employed by the premium services are not within DVDFab's control, but for customers who have paid for "lifetime" licenses in particular, this is very concerning. What if DVDFab is not able to overcome these latest changes, or accomplish it within a reasonable timeframe? One of the reasons I purchased StreamFab was to download content that was "leaving soon" so I could enjoy it later. If I am blocked for several weeks, I may be unable to do so and miss out.

I'm not going to "demand a full refund", or rant and rave about bad DVDFab service. My experience has been very good so far. I always considered StreamFab a bit of a gamble anyway, not understanding the technology behind it, could exactly what has happened shut it down indefinitely?

As a suggestion, perhaps DVDFab could grant access to one of the Premiums that were released after our purchase of the "All-in-one Lifetime" version. Since my purchase I have seen Tubi, Pluto, Roku and others added, and I only have Trial access to these new services. Being granted full access to these new services while we wait for fixes may show "good faith" on the part of DVDFab.

I understand what you are asking about, and why, but I don't think its do-able.

I've purchased several other apps that serve the same purpose (download internet videos for me to watch later), that use different approaches (some are screen recorders, some widlvine decryptors, etc.) and NONE of them offer any kind of credit, partial refund or even compensation should their software encounter issues.

Originally posted by dnlnnhs View Post
    ...the changes employed by the premium services are not within DVDFab's control....
    So why would DVDFab be responsible to "compensate" if the issue is not their fault? They have no contracts or Service Level Agreements with the premium services for example.

Also, DVDFab does NOT market StreamFab as having 100% up time. Issues with DRM can and will happen. When they do, the FAB team does its best to resolve them as quickly as they can.

but for customers who have paid for "lifetime" licenses in particular, this is very concerning. What if DVDFab is not able to overcome these latest changes, or accomplish it within a reasonable timeframe? One of the reasons I purchased StreamFab was to download content that was "leaving soon" so I could enjoy it later. If I am blocked for several weeks, I may be unable to do so and miss out.
    This software is intended to circumvent DRM. DRM changes. The software works "as-is" at the time of purchase. Hopefully there are not enough changes to DRM on the service provider's side that will impact StreamFab.

You are right to be concerned about what could happen... Lets take a look at another DVDFab product meant to circumvent DRM. DVDFab DRM Removal for Apple https://www.dvdfab.cn/drm-removal.htm

It had been broken when Apple instituted a change at the end of 2019 (i had a post around Jan 2020 about a potential work around which the Mods stickied). Due to the Apple change, DRM Removal for Apple didn't work with videos that required an iTunes version newer than iTunes v12.9.0.167. Even with that, DRM Remover was still available for sale as of October 2021.

I just noticed DRM Remover for Apple is no longer listed in their web site menus, I had to google to find the URL and it now includes the disclaimer that it has been discontinued and not to buy. Purchasers of a life time license did NOT get a refund or any compensation (at least I didn't). I don't even recall receiving an email that the product was discontinued. Its a shame because it still works for audio files.

So yes, the streaming services can implement changes that could render StreamFab, and the like, inoperative and there may be nothing they can do about it. We just have to hope that the DRM doesn't get changed enough, or if it does get changed, that the FAB developers can get past it!
    Last edited by KidJoe; 12-06-2021, 08:15 PM.

Comment

At best I'd think maybe extending the monthly or yearly renewal times as a result, as long as they can fix it it doesn't really affect the lifetime purchases significantly other than being annoying

Comment

I realize that the developers are working hard to resolve the issues, and the changes employed by the premium services are not within DVDFab's control, but for customers who have paid for "lifetime" licenses in particular, this is very concerning. What if DVDFab is not able to overcome these latest changes, or accomplish it within a reasonable timeframe? One of the reasons I purchased StreamFab was to download content that was "leaving soon" so I could enjoy it later. If I am blocked for several weeks, I may be unable to do so and miss out.

I'm not going to "demand a full refund", or rant and rave about bad DVDFab service. My experience has been very good so far. I always considered StreamFab a bit of a gamble anyway, not understanding the technology behind it, could exactly what has happened shut it down indefinitely?

As a suggestion, perhaps DVDFab could grant access to one of the Premiums that were released after our purchase of the "All-in-one Lifetime" version. Since my purchase I have seen Tubi, Pluto, Roku and others added, and I only have Trial access to these new services. Being granted full access to these new services while we wait for fixes may show "good faith" on the part of DVDFab.
        You have most probably downloaded more content than you paid for the program, you are entitled to nothing. Fab did not cause this outage, its was the people who bought it overdoing the downloading, you made your grave, now sleep in it.
        Programmer in Python,Java,JavaScript,Swift,PHP,SQL,C#,C++,Go,R

Comment

Originally posted by Chameleon View Post

You have most probably downloaded more content than you paid for the program, you are entitled to nothing. Fab did not cause this outage, its was the people who bought it overdoing the downloading, you made your grave, now sleep in it.
          I do not feel I am entitled - it was a suggestion, I made no demands. I believe I acknowledged that it is not DVDFab's fault. Not sure about "overdoing the downloading", I recently purchased this software and have only downloaded a few shows/movies - certainly nowhere near the limit imposed by the software itself. Collectively, all users of this software and others like it may bring awareness to the service providers that they feel are negatively impacting their balance sheet and need to take steps to stop perceived revenue losses. I believe you are mixing metaphors. Did I "dig my own grave" or "make my own bed and I should sleep in it"?

Either way, it appears DVDFab has already provided a fix. Kudos to them and their quick response!

Comment

EUGH... That's kind of a crappy solution, I'd prefer it fail than download a 480p stereo copy

Comment

Originally posted by Chameleon View Post

That is a pretty harsh response. I too just bought the software about a week ago and only got to download a few items. If the software is truly doing its job it should be behind the scenes and the content providers should have no way and knowing whether the content was being just regularly streamed or recorded.

Comment

Originally posted by wthomas69 View Post

That is a pretty harsh response. I too just bought the software about a week ago and only got to download a few items. If the software is truly doing its job it should be behind the scenes and the content providers should have no way and knowing whether the content was being just regularly streamed or recorded.
                Its working for me, so download to your hearts content, have some faith.
                Programmer in Python,Java,JavaScript,Swift,PHP,SQL,C#,C++,Go,R

Comment

Working...
                X