How do I get Streamfab to work with Roku

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I get Streamfab to work with Roku

I opened a Roku account in Canada and I can log in to Roku through StreamFab, but that’s as far as I can get.
    I am guessing that I still need to buy a Roku streaming stick of some sort, but where do I “stick it”?
    I have high speed Internet and my desktop computer is connected through an Ethernet cable.
    Can someone suggest the best way to get StreamFab connected to Roku such that I can download content?

You don't need to buy a Roku to use Roku Channel. Just open "Roku Channel" in StreamFab under VIP Services and browse to the content you want to download on their website. Once you have the movie or show specific page open that you want, StreamFab will open a prompt to "Download Now" or "Add to Que". You don't even need to sign in to an account technically if you're just downloading their free content.

Comment

Thanks for the info.
      If I want to pay for additional channels, i.e Paramount plus etc., do I then need a use a Roku, and if so, how would it be integrated into my desktop to allow its use?

Comment

No. Just sign up on the paramount website

Comment

Sorry if I am not being clear, I was using Paramount as an example.
          Here is my question/problem.

I have a Roku account in Canada but do not have a Roku device.
          I intend to only access Roku through StreamFab and, when entering the Roku site, I am directed to the Canadian version.
          I can see programming to download but when I click on it I don’t see the StreamFab window asking me to add it to the download queue, I see a window from Roku telling me to get a Roku player to view the programming.

Therefore my question is, if I buy a Roku player stick, how does it work with StreamFab and where do I plug it in to allow StreamFab access?
          My plan, if I can get Roku TV and StreamFab to work in Canada, is to add on download sources that I can only get through Roku (to connect to StreamFab) e.g. CBC and Crave.

Comment

Sounds like StreamFab just doesn't support the Canadian version of the Roku Channel site at this time. You can watch content directly through a web browser on the US site, with out any additional hardware. StreamFab should give a download prompt when you browse to a specific show or movie so sounds like you might be out of luck there. You could look into DVR-ing your Roku. You would need a 1080p+ capture card and a HDMI splitter that bypasses HDCP. It would cost you extra money but it would also work with anything that Roku streams and you wouldn't have to worry about updated protections breaking anything. The downside is you would have to record in real time instead of getting fast direct downloads. StreamFab doesn't interact with anything other then your PC though so don't buy a Roku expecting it to work with StreamFab. It only downloads directly from streaming sites that are accessible through a web browser.
            Last edited by wemickna; 12-26-2021, 12:50 AM.

Comment

Ok, thanks for the clarification.
              I’ll forget about Roku for the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by wemickna View Post
                You would need a 1080p+ capture card and a HDMI splitter that bypasses HDCP
                Don't be to shure that this will work, because many streaming services here in 2021 has upgraded their DRM to counter attack this.
                If a DRM supported unit is not detected, then the stream crashes emmidiately.
                Some will then present you with a HDCP error or just tell "An unexpected error has accurred".

Been there and tried it, i also had such a splitter who could remove the HDCP, but one by one here in 2021 i began getting the error messages above and then decided just to throw that cheap HDMI splitter from China in the trash, but this is guaranteed to work instead:

Just get a regular powered HDCP splitter and then a HDMI recorder where you can switch off the HDCP (usually done using some update tool that comes with it).
                HDMI Out 1 you hook up to your TV or AV Receiver
                HDMI Out 2 is where you hook up the HDMI recorder, where the HDCP has been switched off.

Now you are fooling the streaming service in to detecting that only a HDCP compliant unit is hooked up and you can record as much as you want with the HDCP free HDMI recorder.
                Last edited by Per K; 12-26-2021, 01:07 PM. Reason: Additional info

Comment

Originally posted by Movies99 View Post
                  Sorry if I am not being clear, I was using Paramount as an example.
                  Here is my question/problem.

I have a Roku account in Canada but do not have a Roku device.
                  I intend to only access Roku through StreamFab and, when entering the Roku site, I am directed to the Canadian version.
                  I can see programming to download but when I click on it I don’t see the StreamFab window asking me to add it to the download queue, I see a window from Roku telling me to get a Roku player to view the programming.

Therefore my question is, if I buy a Roku player stick, how does it work with StreamFab and where do I plug it in to allow StreamFab access?
                  My plan, if I can get Roku TV and StreamFab to work in Canada, is to add on download sources that I can only get through Roku (to connect to StreamFab) e.g. CBC and Crave.
                  Now I'm a little confused. You are going to use StreamFab on a PC not through a streaming device. After stream Fab is installed on the PC you are going to click the Roku Channel that should bring up a list of programs that can be recorded to the PC. Those files will then have to be accessed through some kind of media player like Plex. No streaming device is needed at all in this process. Certainly in the United States any one of these streaming services like the Roku Channel Paramount Plus Apple + h b o, they can all be accessed through a computer as well as being accessible through a streaming device. All the work is being done on the PC. You do not need to own any sort of streaming device at all to access any of these services is all being done through the internet and a PC.

Comment

Thanks to all for the input.
                    I accessed the US Roku Channel site using a VPN and have managed to download successfully.
                    Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                    X