Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From DVDFab Staff Streaming VPNs: Solution to Access Geo-Restricted Streaming Services

Have you ever met the error message saying that the content isn’t available in your region when trying to play a video on YouTube, or watch a Netflix show that you have no idea that it is not intended for your country?

If yes, you need to read this post, as it will explain why you are presented with that kind of error message, and then how to fix it. Well, if you haven’t run into similar error message yet, you’d better read this post, too, because it will tell you how to make sure this never happens to you in the future.

Without further ado, let’s get started now.

1. Get to know the geo-restriction and how it works

Geo-restriction, sometimes maybe referred to as geo-blocking, geo-filtering or region-locking, is a way a company, a website, a streaming service, etc., uses when it does not want users from certain locations to access its contents, including but not limited to, articles, websites, services, videos, music, and others, that are not meant for the locations they are living in.

Geo-restrictions can be applied to countries, states, cities, and even smaller locations like a building or office. The implementation varies from one service to another.

Some will allow you to browse the content but restrict you from continuing to view it. Other websites will hide the restricted content entirely, so you won’t know what is available outside your country or region.

Nowadays, almost every streaming service and music/video-sharing website, from YouTube to Netflix, has applied some form of geo-restriction to their streaming contents.

As mentioned at the very beginning, Netflix is a fine example of applying geo-restrictions to its diversified streaming libraries for different countries and regions. One movie or TV show available in the U.S. does not necessarily mean that you can watch it from outside the U.S.

Another example is the Peacock, which is only available in the U.S. territories, and you cannot access it from anywhere in the world outside the U.S. soil.

All being said, it does not mean that there is no other means to access geo-restricted contents. There surely is. Read on to the next part to find out how.

2. How to access geo-restricted streaming contents

Despite the geo-restrictions, there are still ways to unlock your desired streaming contents if they not available in your country or region. Generally, there three common practices to access geo-blocked contents.

2.1 Through a streaming VPN

You may already know that a VPN is, but do you know what is streaming VPN? Well, it’s easy: when a VPN is specifically optimized for streaming services, it becomes a streaming VPN.

With a streaming VPN, you can get access to the on-demand streaming contents on Netflix, or any other geo-enabled streaming service, that are not meant for your country or region.

VPNs can mask your real IP address, and as a result, your actual geographical location is hidden. With this, you get to browse with a different IP address provided by the VPN server.

The VPN Servers are located in various countries, so all you need to do is to connect with one in the country where the streaming contents are not geo-blocked.

2.2 Through a rotating proxy server

When you browse the internet, a proxy server intermediate on your behalf, the requests you send are first received by a proxy server before being sent to the webserver.

Typically, a proxy server would send your requests as it is, but with a rotary proxy server, you use random IP addresses for each web request.

Rotating proxy services do offer different Geo proxies so you can use a proxy server in various countries which will switch your location.

2.3 Through a smart DNS service

Just like IP addresses, DNS (Domain Name Server) can give out your exact location to websites online. With SmartDNS services, your original IP address is not hidden or changed; your request is simply re-routed.

Hence, your request does not go directly from your region but is passed through a different region before getting to the webserver.

The web server receives the request with your original IP address but will read a different location based on the route it followed.

3. What to consider when choosing streaming VPNs

There are many VPNs in the market, but not everyone is optimized for streaming services, plus the fact the streaming services are constantly blacklisting VPNs to make sure you cannot access their contents that are not meant for you. So, when choosing a streaming VPN, there are several things to consider:
    • Reliable access to many streaming services
    • A great variety of servers
    • Excellent speed.
    With these factors in mind, it is suggested that you choose those big names instead of the smaller ones. Some of the famous VPNs that are optimized for streaming services include NordVPN, ExpressVPN, PrivateVPN, SaferVPN, ProtonVPN, Surfshark, CyberGhost, and more.

We tested the compatibility issues of two VPNs with all the major streaming services to date, and here below is our final test result for your reference:
    Sercice NordVPN ExpressVPN
    Amazon Yes Yes
    Amazon JP Yes No
    Netflix Yes Yes
    Disney+ Yes Yes
    HBO Max Yes Yes
    HBO Now Yes Yes
    Hulu US Yes Yes
    Hulu JP Yes No
    Paramount+ Yes Yes
    Apple TV+ Yes Yes
    Discovery+ Yes Yes
    Crunchyroll Yes Yes
    Funimation No Yes
    Tubi Yes Yes
    CW Yes Yes
    Peacock Yes Yes
    Roku Channel Yes No
    ESPN+ Yes Yes
    Shahid Yes Yes
    dTV Yes Yes
    U-NEXT Yes Yes
    FOD Yes Yes
    AbemaTV Yes Yes
    Paravi Yes No
    DMM Yes Yes
    FANZA Yes Yes
    R18 Yes Yes
    Rakuten TV No Yes
    Joyn Yes Yes
    RTL+ Yes No
    Stan Yes Yes
    Canal Plus Yes No

Access NordVPN Website

Click image for larger version  Name:	NordVPN Price.png Views:	0 Size:	66.6 KB ID:	406148

Access ExpressVPN Website

Click image for larger version  Name:	ExpressVPN Price.png Views:	0 Size:	739.7 KB ID:	406149

NordVPN and ExpressVPN all have thousands of VPN servers, but not all of servers can access the Streaming Service, since of that streaming service will block the server if they detect the connection is VPN. So you need to connect to another service if it does not work.
    Although most of services can be accessed by NordVPN and ExpressVPN, but I still recommend to get NordVPN if you need, because of that NordVPN have much more VPN server than ExpressVPN, we can try more VPN server if the one server does not work, also the NordVPN price is cheaper than ExpressVPN.

Click image for larger version  Name:	screenshot-20220210-114232.png Views:	0 Size:	50.2 KB ID:	406147

Final Wrap-up

Due to the geo-restrictions, when travelling from one country to another, you will probably lose access to the streaming service you have subscribed to, and your access to the streaming library that your streaming service is meant for another country from your home country will also be denied.

But with a streaming VPN, the problem can be fixed, this is probably the reason why streaming VPNs are becoming increasingly popular these days. That being said, the streaming services are also keeping backlisting users from using VPNs.

So, when choosing a streaming VPN, it is better to opt for those famous brands, so that you can get reliable connections, plenty of switchable servers, and also fast speed that can affect your actual user experience.

NOTE: when you report the download problem if you are connecting the VPN, please make sure that:

If you can access and play back the video on your Chorme/Edge browser, but StreamFab could not download the video, it's StreamFab problem;

If you could not access and play back the video on your Chorme/Edge browser, then the video also will not be downloaded in StreamFab, it's the VPN problem, you may need to try to connect another VPN server.
    Last edited by Wilson.Wang; 04-15-2022, 01:07 AM.
    Please post your logs the default location is:
    For DVDFab 13: C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\DVDFab13\Log
    For StreamFab: C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\StreamFab\log
    Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.
    If it's the burning issue, please also attach burn log.

Thanks!

I'll do some testing with Amazon Japan to see if it works with express vpn

Comment

I've seen on other sites that Xfinity internet doesn't allow VPN connections, does anyone know if this is true? Thnky in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by barfci View Post
        I've seen on other sites that Xfinity internet doesn't allow VPN connections, does anyone know if this is true? Thnky in advance.
        yes it's true yoy need a smart dns proxy to get around that

Comment

ProtonVPN works amazingly well and very fast for me on a fiber gigabit line with wireguard set. Very rarely do I run into an occasion where I have to change IP addresses due to it not working. About 98% of the IPs on proton vpn service work flawlessly for me.

Comment

ExpressVPN does not work with Amazon, tried multiple of their servers.
            When i drag the mouse over titles, a warning box shows up about the usage of VPN or proxy and i'm being told to disconnect it and try again.

Comment

Originally posted by Per K View Post
              When i drag the mouse over titles, a warning box shows up about the usage of VPN or proxy and i'm being told to disconnect it and try again.
              try New Jersey 3 or 1

Comment

Originally posted by october262 View Post

try New Jersey 3 or 1
                New Jersey 3 is already the one i use on Peacock to circumvent the geo-blocking, does like all the ones i tested (incl N.J 1) also not work at Amazon
                But i have digged a little deeper about Amazon and found out that according to lots of people, then ones account gets locked to the country you live in.
                So that means its not possible to circumvent geo-blocking at Amazon, because it uses your registration to determine what you are allowed to access.
                Last edited by Per K; 04-14-2022, 11:47 AM.

Comment

I used Windscribe VPN for amazon as my expressVPN doesnt work. I first used Express VPN as the other VPNs i use never wanted to work but ExpressVPN worked. Now ExpressVPN doesn't work and i came across Windscribe VPN actually made it work.

Comment

use dns4me proxy you can pick and choose which hbo regions to use etc

Comment

ExpressVPN confirms on their own homepage, that circumventing Geo-blocking does not work at Amazon:

Quote:
                      "ExpressVPN works seamlessly with Prime Video to deliver streaming content without sacrificing privacy, security, or video quality.
                      To stream Prime Video content from the U.S. or UK, for instance, you will need a U.S. or UK-based address to create an Amazon Prime account in those countries, and a VPN then ensures you can stream securely."

https://www.expressvpn.com/dk/vpn-se...me-video-vpn-1
                      Subject: FAQ: How to watch Amazon Prime Video with a VPN
                      Under subject there: Does Amazon Prime work with a VPN?

It confirms what i also have heard from people lots of other places regarding Amazon and that you can't circumvent Geo-blocking at Amazon.
                      So this means that Wilson.Wang has to make some changes to his VPN list above and add a huge red NO to ExpressVPN regarding Amazon.
                      Last edited by Per K; 05-01-2022, 10:10 AM.

Comment

ExpressVPN confirms on their own homepage, that circumventing Geo-blocking does not work at Amazon:

Quote:
                        "ExpressVPN works seamlessly with Prime Video to deliver streaming content without sacrificing privacy, security, or video quality.
                        To stream Prime Video content from the U.S. or UK, for instance, you will need a U.S. or UK-based address to create an Amazon Prime account in those countries, and a VPN then ensures you can stream securely."

https://www.expressvpn.com/dk/vpn-se...me-video-vpn-1
                        Subject: FAQ: How to watch Amazon Prime Video with a VPN
                        Under subject there: Does Amazon Prime work with a VPN?

It confirms what i also have heard from people lots of other places regarding Amazon and that you can't circumvent Geo-blocking at Amazon.
                        So this means that Wilson.Wang has to make some changes to his VPN list above and add a huge red NO to ExpressVPN regarding Amazon.
                        Depends on how you see it.

But you can use ExpressVPN or Nord etc for that matter to circumvent the geo-blocking itself.

But and this is the big but. As you see in the text that you quoted. You need to sign up from a USA address and also have a US Credit Card from a place like.

The US Unlocked virtual prepaid cards and debit card is accepted by many U.S stores online and subscription services allowing you to securely subscribe or shop online from anywhere in the world.

After this you can use the VPN of your choice including ExpressVPN to access US Amazon.

Comment

Originally posted by R3C01L View Post

Depends on how you see it.

But you can use ExpressVPN or Nord etc for that matter to circumvent the geo-blocking itself.

But and this is the big but. As you see in the text that you quoted. You need to sign up from a USA address and also have a US Credit Card from a place like.

The US Unlocked virtual prepaid cards and debit card is accepted by many U.S stores online and subscription services allowing you to securely subscribe or shop online from anywhere in the world.

After this you can use the VPN of your choice including ExpressVPN to access US Amazon.
                          I just used windscribe VPN for my amazon.

Comment

Originally posted by Wilson.Wang View Post
                            [SIZE=16px]Have you ever met the error message saying that the content isn’t available in your region when trying to play a video on YouTube, or watch a Netflix show that you have no idea that it is not intended for your country?
                            Can anyone get it working with Netflix Korea? I've tried three separate VPNs
                            - Express VPN. That didn't work with Netflix Korea at all, using either the Browser plugin. or the Windows level VPN application
                            - Pure VPN. That didn't work with Netflix Korea at all, using either the Browser plugin. or the Windows level VPN application
                            - NordVPN. This worked in Chrome using the Chrome plugin and the Windows level VPN app, but with Streamfab, I couldn't get it working at all. It logged me out if I had the VPN connected, and wouldn't let me log in again.

I wish there was a way to get the Streamfab Chrome internal Browser to use the Chrome VPN plugin, same as the browser.

Comment

Please note that attempting to bypass geographic restrictions on streaming services may violate their terms of service. Always make sure you're in compliance with the terms and conditions of the services you're using. Additionally, streaming services are actively working to prevent VPN usage, so success can vary over time.

Comment

Working...
                              X