Feature Request: meaningful bitrate on download options in Amazon Prime

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feature Request: meaningful bitrate on download options in Amazon Prime

Right now the Amazon Prime bitrate options will say things like 15000 kbps when in actuality it's closer to 3000 sometimes and possibly even worse than that. In the example of Avengers: Endgame. it's about 3200 kbps at 1080p CVBR at the highest quality downloaded. After reviewing some scenes actually look better on the 720p version from Disney which download at about 3600 kpbs at 720p (I assume also CVBR by default) due to extreme pixelation in the Amazon version due to the over compression.

Based on the number of pixels I would expect similar quality in the 1080p version to be significantly higher than 720p as there's more than 2x as many pixels. I know that it is not linear when compression is involved... but I wouldn't expect it to be less in ANY case for similar compression quality.

Rather than always saying 15000/8000/etc, can we get meaningful, realistic bitrate numbers before we waste time downloading crappy sources?

I have to agree that is rather annoying discovering that Prime Video have both movies and TV shows that turns out to have an insanely low bitrate, after having chosen 15000 kbps.
    I have actually cancelled downloads on Prime Video because of it, when seing that the filesize of the video that is being downloaded is very small.

When you are downloading a movie with over 2 hrs run time, then you know something is terribly wrong if the current downloaded video size is only around 3.2 GB, so thats reason enough for me to cancel the download.
    I'm also not so sure about if i'm gonna keep the subscription because of this, i might cancel it eventually.
    Last edited by Per K; 04-17-2022, 11:51 AM.

Comment

Try DLing using CBR instead of CVBR. Supposed to keep quality at same rate from my understanding. I believe that CVBR is H.265.

Comment

Originally posted by Just Me View Post
        Try DLing using CBR instead of CVBR. Supposed to keep quality at same rate from my understanding. I believe that CVBR is H.265.
        Thats looks like to do the trick. I tested it on Jumanji: The Next Level, but it has an impact on the audio, so you are gonna have to download as both CVBR and CBR and then do a little muxing work with MKVtoolnix afterwards to get one to keep with proper video and audio quality:

CVBR:
        Video: 4555 kb/s
        Audio: EAC3 5.1 (640 kbps)

CBR:
        Video: 8069 kb/s
        Audio: EAC3 5.1 (192 kbps)

Comment

tried CBR that with Endgame, the bitrate was higher, but the quality in badly compressed scenes was still worse than the Disney 720p version

Comment

In general, again I say, in general (there are always exceptions) if the video has a lot of action, moving around, fast cuts, etc. choose Variable bit rate (CVBR). If the video is low in action, lots of just standing around talking, head shots and etc. then choose constant bit rate (CBR). This will produce the best quality video.

Comment

Originally posted by Per K View Post

Thats looks like to do the trick. I tested it on Jumanji: The Next Level, but it has an impact on the audio, so you are gonna have to download as both CVBR and CBR and then do a little muxing work with MKVtoolnix afterwards to get one to keep with proper video and audio quality:

CVBR:
              Video: 4555 kb/s
              Audio: EAC3 5.1 (640 kbps)

CBR:
              Video: 8069 kb/s
              Audio: EAC3 5.1 (192 kbps)
              Yeah, that was an issue I discovered also (after another user pointed it out to me). Not good enough with MKVTool to do that yet.

Comment

Originally posted by potenial_user View Post
                Right now the Amazon Prime bitrate options will say things like 15000 kbps when in actuality it's closer to 3000 sometimes and possibly even worse than that. In the example of Avengers: Endgame. it's about 3200 kbps at 1080p CVBR at the highest quality downloaded. After reviewing some scenes actually look better on the 720p version from Disney which download at about 3600 kpbs at 720p (I assume also CVBR by default) due to extreme pixelation in the Amazon version due to the over compression.

Based on the number of pixels I would expect similar quality in the 1080p version to be significantly higher than 720p as there's more than 2x as many pixels. I know that it is not linear when compression is involved... but I wouldn't expect it to be less in ANY case for similar compression quality.

Rather than always saying 15000/8000/etc, can we get meaningful, realistic bitrate numbers before we waste time downloading crappy sources?
                Hi,

We could not get the realistic bitrate for the video stream files from Amazon. Or we change it to display as the file size?

Anyway, I will ask the dev to check it.

Wilson
                Last edited by Wilson.Wang; 04-18-2022, 11:20 AM.
                Please post your logs the default location is:
                For DVDFab 13: C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\DVDFab13\Log
                For StreamFab: C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\StreamFab\log
                Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.
                If it's the burning issue, please also attach burn log.

Thanks!

Comment

Thanks for considering options

Comment

Working...
                  X