Amazon Prime Channels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amazon Prime Channels

I'm considering switching my Paramount+ and Discovery+ subscriptions over from direct subscribing to Amazon Prime Channels subscriptions. Has anyone else done this and what are the pros and cons?
    I'm also considering getting Acorn TV through Amazon to go along with my existing (Amazon) Britbox subscription. Anyone have any experience with Acorn?

I'm located in the US, if it makes any difference.

Originally posted by Cats4U View Post
    I'm considering switching my Paramount+ and Discovery+ subscriptions over from direct subscribing to Amazon Prime Channels subscriptions. Has anyone else done this and what are the pros and cons?
    I'm also considering getting Acorn TV through Amazon to go along with my existing (Amazon) Britbox subscription. Anyone have any experience with Acorn?

​​​​​​I'm located in the US, if it makes any difference.
    Cats4U,

Amazon Prime, U.S. Win10/64 Pro here.

Never used Acorn, but have Discovery+, Paramount+, Showtime and Shudder thru Amazon right now.

I also tried Britbox for a bit and a couple of other channels.

I love channels thru Amazon Prime.

I used Paramount+ standalone and had some issues playing Star Trek Series (can't play video because our commercial is being blocked by adblocking software). I turned all adblocker extensions off and still got this message when using Paramount Plus directly and didn't get a response from their customer service.

So I tried thru Amazon Prime & no problem there.

1. One of the best features that some don't know about.

You can access Paramount+ directly from it's website if you subscribe to it on Amazon by going to paramountplus.com/amazon.
    It will verify your Amazon Prime/Paramount+ subscription and let you create an ID for Paramount+ logon directly.

Since you already used an email with Paramount+, you will need to supply a different email address for the new ID during Amazon Prime/Paramount+ verification - it will say that email address you used previously on Paramount+ is already in use.

So you don't have to worry if there's a problem with Amazon Prime re: access and losing access to Paramount+.

2. Amazon Prime/Paramount+ is also faster than Paramount+ for downloading for me (don't know if this is the norm or just server access), right now Topgun on Paramount+ is 6.3 and Amazon Prime/Paramount is usually over 10 on speed - will vary with your provider/location/server.

3. Another nice feature is being able to add items to your watch list from Amazon Prime and any subscribed channels and you have them all there in one location (Watch List) to click when you use StreamFab.

4. As you probably know, when you search in Amazon Prime for Movies/Tv it automatically includes the offerings of the subscribed channels in it's results and it also shows suggestions from all subscribed channels below the movie you pull up.

5. Also nice when your laying back & just want to find something to zone out on and watch and a lot of it is in one location, Amazon Prime, and it categorizes movies/shows for you from all channels/prime together.

Attached: Example of downloading from Paramount+ via StreamFab after verifying Amazon Prime/Paramount+ channel subscription.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Mike_M; 06-30-2022, 10:05 AM.

Comment

Located in the US too. I subscribe to Paramount+, Starz and Showtime through Amazon Prime Channels.

In addition to the pros Mike_M shared, downloading Paramount+ content via Prime Channels results in better video and audio (Higher video bit rates, and EAC3 audio with high bit rates ) compared to downloading with the Paramount+ downloader.

Note: When I switched from a stand alone CBS All Access/Paramount+ subscription to doing it through Prime Channels and linking them, I was able to keep and use my old email address with Paramount+ app/web site.

Keep in mind as you subscribe to multiple services in Amazon Prime Channels, to StreamFab its one service and one download module, Amazon. So the chances of running into StreamFab's 50 titles per service per day (per FAB account) download limit could become a factor. If that happens just space them out over a few days. ( I've only encountered this trying to download multiple older series together.)

​​​​
      ​​​

Comment

Excellent reviews and observations, Gentlemen! I thank you so much for your input. I think I'm sold on the switch. I still have about a week left on my direct subscriptions but I'll probably do the change this weekend.

The only thing I'm slightly concerned about is with Discovery+ and what is to happen with the Warner Bros./Discovery merger. Will Discovery+ be removed as HBO Max was? Will HBO Max return combined with Discovery+? At what price? I'm really not interested in getting HBO Max especially if I'm forced to pay more for my Discovery+. I have more than enough movie-related subscriptions (Amazon, Netflix, Hulu, etc.) to keep me busy and if there is a certain HBO product I need to see, I have..<cough>..other sources. I guess I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Cats4U View Post
          The only thing I'm slightly concerned about is with Discovery+ and what is to happen with the Warner Bros./Discovery merger. Will Discovery+ be removed as HBO Max was? Will HBO Max return combined with Discovery+?
          Who the heck knows in this frequently changing environment, users trimming down services and streamers making decisions based on profit margins but I found the below article interesting re: your question.

- Mike

Deeper Dive—Amazon and Discovery take big step toward a new pay TV - 11/4/21

Control over customer data and direct relationships has been at the heart of some distribution disputes for Amazon Channels and streaming services. It’s one of the biggest reasons why Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, HBO Max and other major SVODs don’t sell their services directly through Channels.

However, if Amazon Channels continues to loosen its grip on customer data, more SVODs might reconsider it as a distribution platform, which could help bring about The Diffusion Group’s (TDG) vision for “Pay TV 3.0.” For years, the analyst firm has predicted that Pay TV 1.0 (traditional linear channel distribution over private networks) and Pay TV 2.0 (a similar model but over the open internet) would give way to Pay TV 3.0. TDG describes it as large streaming aggregators bundling SVOD apps and providing integrated ordering, billing and customer service; unified search and recommendations; easy addition/cancellation; a single portal for viewing; and multi-app packages with discounts.

“As Amazon’s announcement indicates, the tech-media giants are already making a move in this direction. Broadband operators should do the same, or risk losing their SVOD viewers to competitors,” said Greeson.

Besides Discovery, ViacomCBS this week also praised its Paramount+ and Showtime relationships with Amazon Channels for providing access to the larger total addressable market. However, CEO Bob Bakish admitted there are trade offs around exclusivity requests and data access, and that the relationship is something ViacomCBS will need to continue evaluating over time.

Comment

Originally posted by KidJoe View Post

In addition to the pros Mike_M shared, downloading Paramount+ content via Prime Channels results in better video and audio (Higher video bit rates, and EAC3 audio with high bit rates ) compared to downloading with the Paramount+ downloader.
            Even though this point is as plain as the nose on my face each time I download a video from FreeVee..... formerly IMDBTV..... through Amazon Prime Channels..... until I read your words..... it never even occurred to me that subscribing through Amazon Prime Channels for other sites would allow me to use the Amazon gold standard interface for more than just Amazon Prime itself.....

So thank you..... for me this was an excellent contribution.....

In closing..... I have one question.....

Has anyone downloaded a video for either Showtime or Paramount Plus through Amazon Prime Channels..... and if so..... did you successfully receive subtitles?

Current Ignore List: Brozilla, Chameleon, NewMelle, hizbf, radiah

Comment

Originally posted by weavermovies View Post

Has anyone downloaded a video for either Showtime or Paramount Plus through Amazon Prime Channels..... and if so..... did you successfully receive subtitles?
              Hi weavermovies,

See my response in your thread on your question.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_M View Post

Cats4U,

Amazon Prime, U.S. Win10/64 Pro here.

Never used Acorn, but have Discovery+, Paramount+, Showtime and Shudder thru Amazon right now.

I also tried Britbox for a bit and a couple of other channels.

I love channels thru Amazon Prime.

I used Paramount+ standalone and had some issues playing Star Trek Series (can't play video because our commercial is being blocked by adblocking software). I turned all adblocker extensions off and still got this message when using Paramount Plus directly and didn't get a response from their customer service.

So I tried thru Amazon Prime & no problem there.

1. One of the best features that some don't know about.

You can access Paramount+ directly from it's website if you subscribe to it on Amazon by going to paramountplus.com/amazon.
                It will verify your Amazon Prime/Paramount+ subscription and let you create an ID for Paramount+ logon directly.

Since you already used an email with Paramount+, you will need to supply a different email address for the new ID during Amazon Prime/Paramount+ verification - it will say that email address you used previously on Paramount+ is already in use.

So you don't have to worry if there's a problem with Amazon Prime re: access and losing access to Paramount+.

2. Amazon Prime/Paramount+ is also faster than Paramount+ for downloading for me (don't know if this is the norm or just server access), right now Topgun on Paramount+ is 6.3 and Amazon Prime/Paramount is usually over 10 on speed - will vary with your provider/location/server.

3. Another nice feature is being able to add items to your watch list from Amazon Prime and any subscribed channels and you have them all there in one location (Watch List) to click when you use StreamFab.

4. As you probably know, when you search in Amazon Prime for Movies/Tv it automatically includes the offerings of the subscribed channels in it's results and it also shows suggestions from all subscribed channels below the movie you pull up.

5. Also nice when your laying back & just want to find something to zone out on and watch and a lot of it is in one location, Amazon Prime, and it categorizes movies/shows for you from all channels/prime together.

Attached: Example of downloading from Paramount+ via StreamFab after verifying Amazon Prime/Paramount+ channel subscription.
                Thgat Media Info file you downloaded with Along came a Spider is not close to 1080p its 816P
                Programmer in Python,Java,JavaScript,Swift,PHP,SQL,C#,C++,Go,R

Comment

Originally posted by Chameleon View Post
                  In all truth its very rude to hijack someone else's thread. If you don't have anything positive to add start your own thread.
                  It is good to see that pathological hypocrisy and selective amnesia is alive and well among those who feel they are always the smartest person in the room.

Comment

It is good to see that pathological hypocrisy and selective amnesia is alive and well among those who feel they are always the smartest person in the room.
                    Hi again Weavermovies,

I thought I'd respond to a supposed issue that a user posted here in this thread that Cats4U started, although it *really* belongs in your thread since it's addressing some info in your thread.

Cats4U might also want to know this if she sees it and thinks it's *really* an issue with downloading from Amazon/Paramount.

In regards to 1920x1080 Paramount Plus vs 1920x816 vs Amazon Prime/Paramount Plus resolutions for "Along came a Spider"

Sometimes during re-encoding of a 1920x1080 file using "High Profile" in Handbrake you can see it converted to 1920x816.

There is no resolution loss on the picture content - it's just a decision not to encode areas of the 16:9 source that don't contain picture content and instead contain black (the bars).

It's saving space by not actually encoding the black bars that some films have at top and bottom.

See attached for a side by side comparison of the Paramount vs Amazon downloads of "Along came a Spider" screenshot at the same time in the film playing full screen on an HD Monitor.

Does it make you feel better that the 1920x1080 contains encoding for the bars, despite not being able to tell the difference between 1080x816 in full screen mode on a high resolution monitor? /s

It doesn't make a difference to me.

I also noticed that the possibly re-encoded file from Amazon-Prime also seems to have twice the bitrate of the other one.

But hey, I usually don't fixate on that stuff and just want a good file that plays well on my older 1080p Tv.

Some guy said (6/1/22 3:29 pm) that "they found 720p to be quite fine" previously when discussing HBOMax previously in regards to it's current DRM restriction, but 1920x816 that's not encoding the black bars and is not listed as 1920x1080 is "nowhere near 1080p".

StreamFab Software *seems* to define 1920x816 as "1080"p (see attached) also.

I really like helping people and hope this maybe temporary or permanent method to get the subtitles helps you until the StreamFab Paramount Module retrieves them.

regards.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Mike_M; 07-01-2022, 12:36 AM.

Comment

@Mike_M..... I hope you realize that my remark regarding "pathological hypocrisy and selective amnesia" was in no way directed at you.....

I was holding a mirror up to one of those who post on this forum that feel they can dictate to others.....

Your unsolicited assistance today to the benefit of all StreamFab users proves you to be the complete opposite.
                      Last edited by weavermovies; 07-01-2022, 01:27 AM.

Comment

@Mike_M..... I hope you realize that my remark regarding "pathological hypocrisy and selective amnesia" was in no way directed at you.....

I was holding a mirror up to one of those who post on this forum that feel they can dictate to others.....

Your unsolicited assistance today to the benefit all StreamFab users proves you to be the complete opposite.

Of course I knew your comment wasn't directed at me...

No misunderstanding here, which is dang too easy on these here internet posting thingy's!...

Comment

One tiny snag with the Amazon Paramount+ is that you can only get the Premium level at $9.99US/Mo. With the direct subscription I have the Essential level at $4.99US/Mo. The difference being that the Premium gives you Live TV of your local CBS station (which I don't need) and no commercials (which StreamFab takes care of very nicely.) $5 is not going to break me but it annoys me that I have to pay for something I don't want or need.

Comment

Originally posted by Chameleon View Post

Thgat Media Info file you downloaded with Along came a Spider is not close to 1080p its 816P
                            816 is 1080p with the masking trimmed as mentioned above. Technically it would be full 1080p if there were no bars but it's a scope film. You're still getting the same resolution. It's just not filling in blank data for that extra strip of 132 on the top and 132 on the bottom.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_M View Post

Some guy said (6/1/22 3:29 pm) that "they found 720p to be quite fine" previously when discussing HBOMax previously in regards to it's current DRM restriction, but 1920x816 that's not encoding the black bars and is not listed as 1920x1080 is "nowhere near 1080p".

StreamFab Software *seems* to define 1920x816 as "1080"p (see attached) also.

there are different aspect ratios for movies.
                              ​​
                              1920x817 is 1080p at 2.35:1 aspect ratio. It has taller black bars.

1920x1080 is 1080p at 1.77:1 (aka 16x9) aspect ratio. This is the aspect ratio of tv sets, so movies in this aspect ratio will have no black bars at home.

Another popular one is 1920x1038 which is 1.85:1 (medium bars)

Comment

Working...
                              X