No announcement yet.

Version 5.0.4.7 HBO is still a NOGO for 4K

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a hypothesis about this blank, black page problem but I need a Linux user to do a little experiment for me. As I've written before, the SF browser appears to the provider as Firefox running under Linux. In fact it is actually a version of Chrome named CEF (Chromium Embedded Framework) with the User Agent set to make it look like it is Firefox under Linux. If you look at the HBOMax requirements for using a computer to stream shows it mentions only 3 types - ChromeOS, MacOS, Windows PC. No Linux.

The simple experiment is that I need a Linux user who is a subscriber to HBOMax to attempt to sign-in using Firefox and see if they can stream anything. Or do you get a blank, black page, too?

The other way to do this test is use a User-Agent Switcher extension. They are available for both Chrome and Firefox. If I was a HBOMax subscriber that is the method I would use but I am not.

Anyone want to give it a try?

Comment

Originally posted by Cats4U View Post
      I have a hypothesis about this blank, black page problem but I need a Linux user to do a little experiment for me. As I've written before, the SF browser appears to the provider as Firefox running under Linux. In fact it is actually a version of Chrome named CEF (Chromium Embedded Framework) with the User Agent set to make it look like it is Firefox under Linux. If you look at the HBOMax requirements for using a computer to stream shows it mentions only 3 types - ChromeOS, MacOS, Windows PC. No Linux.

The simple experiment is that I need a Linux user who is a subscriber to HBOMax to attempt to sign-in using Firefox and see if they can stream anything. Or do you get a blank, black page, too?

The other way to do this test is use a User-Agent Switcher extension. They are available for both Chrome and Firefox. If I was a HBOMax subscriber that is the method I would use but I am not.

Fired up my Ubuntu 20.04.4 VM and tried to stream Gravity. Got the error in the attached screenshot.

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by bwnautilus View Post

Fired up my Ubuntu 20.04.4 VM and tried to stream Gravity. Got the error in the attached screenshot.
        click the the enable DRM box then retry playing the video

Comment

Originally posted by Cats4U View Post

using Ubuntu 20.04.4 LTS currently watching with brave browser (no DRM enabled / installed) game of thrones season 1 episode 1
          same episode also plays in firefox web browser(DRM enabled by default).
          Last edited by october262; 08-06-2022, 11:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by october262 View Post

click the the enable DRM box then retry playing the video
            Ah, completely missed that. Thanks, I'll try again.

Comment

Clicked the install DRM button. Firefox seemed to be downloading something. When it finished I got the same popup. Looks like Firefox on Ubuntu doesn't know how to download the DRM components.
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by bwnautilus View Post
                Clicked the install DRM button. Firefox seemed to be downloading something. When it finished I got the same popup. Looks like Firefox on Ubuntu doesn't know how to download the DRM components.
                go into firefox settings - general and see if you have the play DRM-controlled content checked.

Comment

Update: well it looks like I was missing ffmpeg on Ubuntu. After installing Gravity played fine.

Comment

Well, it was worth a try. Thank you so much, guys, for giving it a shot. It would have been so easy to fix if that was all it was.

Comment

Working...
                    X