Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why are Channel 4 & Crackle trials "expired" after only 1 of 3 trial videos used?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why are Channel 4 & Crackle trials "expired" after only 1 of 3 trial videos used?

I downloaded 1 of the 3 promised trial videos from Channel 4 about a month ago - and it was far from succesful, as the audo was missing for the last 1/3 of the video. Now I can't even try again because the remaining 2 tries I was supposed to have are now "expired." How? Why?

A single download that I've already reported for audio failure is hardly a full trial. I now see that after a single download on a 3-try trial of Crackle that I used on my other laptop, that offer is now "expired" as well. If these trials had a clock running after the first attempt, rather than their being strictly a download-limit trial basis, then SF ought to be upfront about it.

Because based on this, it looks like SF is claiming its trials are "expired" a few weeks after the first attempt in a rush to push people to "buy now," and that's just not right.

Originally posted by artsunlimited View Post
    I now see that after a single download on a 3-try trial of Crackle that I used on my other laptop, that offer is now "expired" as well.
    While I can't respond to your specific problem with "trial downloads"..... I can tell you there is a post from me dated 20 October 2022 which reports that CRACKLE is not operating at all..... and..... as early as today..... CRACKLE still doesn't function on my system.....

You can also see a post from a couple days ago where I have asked "Mona" to specifically respond regarding the status of PLUTO..... CRACKLE..... and HBOMAX..... to which she has yet to acknowledge..... even though she has responded to many other posts.

Current Ignore List: Brozilla, Chameleon, NewMelle, hizbf, radiah

Comment

Originally posted by weavermovies View Post

While I can't respond to your specific problem with "trial downloads"..... I can tell you there is a post from me dated 20 October 2022 which reports that CRACKLE is not operating at all..... and..... as early as today..... CRACKLE still doesn't function on my system.....

You can also see a post from a couple days ago where I have asked "Mona" to specifically respond regarding the status of PLUTO..... CRACKLE..... and HBOMAX..... to which she has yet to acknowledge..... even though she has responded to many other posts.
      Oh, I definitely saw that - as well as the lack of response. But Crackle being non-functioning (at least on your system) shoudn't affect the trial at all, since presumably an inability to download any of the three trial selections wouldn't count.

(FYI, this is one way that SF beats the competition, since there, even if a download fails or is aborted, it's still deducted from the available download count. An unmonitored series download queue that fails can take a huge bite from that - and take days to recover.)

This is leaving a really bad taste in my mouth, since there doesn't seem to be any rational explanation as to why "2 downloads left" should go directly to "trial expired," especially as it's occured in two services. When 33.33% of the trial downloads is a failure, removing the remaining 66.66% and yet still expecting people to buy the service is simply not reasonable, so I'd love to hear from Mona what's going on with this.

Comment

Originally posted by weavermovies View Post

Sorry. I have to confirm with the developer before responding to that post.
        Crackle has updated its site again, so please wait. Thanks.
        The problem with PlutoTV is on bug list waiting for a fix.
        HBO Max 1080p is still not yet been restored, so for now, only the status is it can download some HBO Max videos in 1080p.

Comment

Originally posted by artsunlimited View Post
          I downloaded 1 of the 3 promised trial videos from Channel 4 about a month ago - and it was far from succesful, as the audo was missing for the last 1/3 of the video. Now I can't even try again because the remaining 2 tries I was supposed to have are now "expired." How? Why?

A single download that I've already reported for audio failure is hardly a full trial. I now see that after a single download on a 3-try trial of Crackle that I used on my other laptop, that offer is now "expired" as well. If these trials had a clock running after the first attempt, rather than their being strictly a download-limit trial basis, then SF ought to be upfront about it.

Because based on this, it looks like SF is claiming its trials are "expired" a few weeks after the first attempt in a rush to push people to "buy now," and that's just not right.
          Will you please send a log file to check the trial problem?

Comment

Originally posted by Mona View Post

Unfortunately, I don't have a log file from my main PC because I've already uninstalled/reinstalled that version.

While Crackle might be having DL issues, what about Channel 4? That doesn't explain why other 3-free download trials used to read as "0 of 3 available" - yet these two, when I only used 1 download, now read as "expired"? That suggests they somehow changed into a time-sensitive trial, not a usage one. Can they be reset to the 2 remaining DLs so I actually get to try the service?​

Comment

Mona, now Crackle reads "3 of 3 left," and it's DRM MPD's turn to be "expired" - and I've yet to even try it once! This popup is often the only thing to function when SF crashes (and maybe helps it do that, for all I know), and while it's persistent, it's not even close to being accurate. Channel 4 indicates there are 3 trials available, but then says they're all used up. Do you really expect people to buy these add-ons if they can't test them?

The log is over 2MB, I can't upload it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2022-11-01 14.20.52..jpg
Views:	179
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	417536 Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2022-11-01 14.40.48..jpg
Views:	138
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	417537 Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2022-11-09 13.03.16..jpg
Views:	134
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	417538

Comment

I think you need to buy those to use them.
                Programmer in Python,Java,JavaScript,Swift,PHP,SQL,C#,C++,Go,R

Comment

Originally posted by Chameleon View Post
                  I think you need to buy those to use them.
                  The 3 trial runs are just that - a chance to test the service. You get to try it out for 3 downloads, then if you're hooked and want more than 3, you have to buy it. Crackle went from "expired" to "3 of 3 videos left" in about a week, as the "expired" notice moved randomly to DRM MPD, so SF doesn't seem to be able to keep track of actual usage.

As I've stated, my first and only Channel 4 download lost audio partway through the program, and even though I produced a log, no one was particularly interested in telling me what was going on with that, and whether it could be duplicated, etc.

Comment

@artsunlimited​, please send the log file to my email, thanks.

Comment

@artsunlimited​, please send the log file to my email, thanks.
                      On its way - thank you!

Comment

Working...
                      X