StreamFab 6.0.0.4 System Hard Lock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

StreamFab 6.0.0.4 System Hard Lock

I just updated to the newest version of StreamFab, 6.0.0.4, and 4 times now the program has hard locked the system. The program hangs and no keyboard commands, including CTRL+ALT+DELETE are accepted. The only way to recover is to reset the system and reboot.

On which step did it lock?
    Please describe your steps with more info, thanks.
    Please check if it has generated any log files or not, please send the StreamFab.log file to us. Thanks.

Comment

I was downloading several movies from Amazon. During the process, it would stop/lock during a download.
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by rswiders View Post
        I was downloading several movies from Amazon. During the process, it would stop/lock during a download.
        Was anything listed in your Windows Event Viewer for the time of your "stop/lock"?

Comment

No

Comment

No
            try doing a clean uninstall of streamfab, restart your computer and reinstall with the latest version of streamfab
            and then retry downloading from amazon and see if you still get the system lock.

Comment

I just updated to the newest version of StreamFab, 6.0.0.4, and 4 times now the program has hard locked the system. The program hangs and no keyboard commands, including CTRL+ALT+DELETE are accepted. The only way to recover is to reset the system and reboot.
              This can occur 1) from a "buffer overflow", 2) from "zero free space" left on the OS partition, or 3) from a problematic connection cable (or hard disc).

Comment

Originally posted by pandlouk View Post

This can occur 1) from a "buffer overflow", 2) from "zero free space" left on the OS partition, or 3) from a problematic connection cable (or hard disc).
                2 & 3 would not be an issue if upon rebooting the issue doesn't exist for any other programs. I'm not sure what "buffer overflow" you talk about is? The only issue of that kind I know of is an actual software bug in the program being run.

Comment

FWIW, I've seen similar behavior on one of my machines, although I don't have a solution at this time. If I'm d/l'ing anything via StreamFab on that particular machine, I can NOT watch any kind of video on that machine at the same time. Doesn't matter if it's in Windows Media Player, Kodi, or on YouTube in a chromium-based browser - and it doesn't matter if the video file (not YouTube) is local or on my network (all things I tested)...any of those activities during a d/l will cause the machine to hard lock, requiring the reset button. I can do one or the other just fine, but not both simultaneously. I can watch many simultaneous videos, encode a video, edit an image in paint.net, and download media, programs, etc. via a web browser, ftp client, and/or a discreet downloader simultaneously without any problems. The machine is only about a year old with no modifications to the hardware or Windows and it is otherwise used as a daily driver without issue. If, by chance, you are also consuming media while downloading, try holding off until the downloads are finished. If I figure out what's going on with this particular machine, I'll post back with the solution that worked for me.

Comment

2 & 3 would not be an issue if upon rebooting the issue doesn't exist for any other programs. I'm not sure what "buffer overflow" you talk about is? The only issue of that kind I know of is an actual software bug in the program being run.
                    (2) is an issue if you have the streamfab temp folder in the Os partiton and your free space is less than 3x of the size of the video file you are downloading.
                    As for (1) streamfab occasionally suffers from buffer overflows when decrypting the files (at least the versions from 5.0.4 to 6.0.2). On 6.0.4 I have not encountered a buffer overflow till now.

Comment

Originally posted by pandlouk View Post

(2) is an issue if you have the streamfab temp folder in the Os partiton and your free space is less than 3x of the size of the video file you are downloading.
                      As for (1) streamfab occasionally suffers from buffer overflows when decrypting the files (at least the versions from 5.0.4 to 6.0.2). On 6.0.4 I have not encountered a buffer overflow till now.
                      (2) 2.37TB free space
                      (1) That is a program bug you are describing.

Comment

(2) 2.37TB free space
                        (1) That is a program bug you are describing.
                        (2) what drive? ssd or hdd? If hdd check your disk activity if it constantly hits 100% usage.
                        (1) I know what buffer overflow is.Streamfab uses Python 3.7.9 and the overflows when they happen are related to this
                        Code:
                        https://bugs.python.org/issue42938
                        Last edited by pandlouk; 12-01-2022, 06:17 PM.

Comment

SSD and it doesn't hit anything significant in disk activity.

Comment

Working...
                          X