This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Solved] HULU quality is terrible and processing takes forever

Running Streamfab 6.1.0.4, though this has been happening for a few weeks at least. Download from HULU. Download is very fast, but processing takes several minutes. Based on Task Manager, it looks like Streamfab is using my NVIDIA card to re-encode the video. I'm guessing that it is downloading a very low resolution version and then trying to upscale. Bitrate shows decent bitrate, but quality is trash. Any significant movement on the screen and it devolves into a blurry mess of artifacts.

This didn't happen before the December DRM reset. Is Hulu still being worked on? I was under the impression that all of the services that were affected by the DRM reset were fixed.

HULU looks the same to me as it ever has. HULU has always set their top resolution at 720p. The best you'll get is 720p quality.
    Try updating your NVIDIA driver. Use Studio drivers, not Game Ready.
    StreamFab doesn't re-encode at this point. SF only re-encoded some streamers during the last DRM change crisis. Your guess is wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Cats4U View Post
      HULU looks the same to me as it ever has. HULU has always set their top resolution at 720p. The best you'll get is 720p quality.
      Try updating your NVIDIA driver. Use Studio drivers, not Game Ready.
      StreamFab doesn't re-encode at this point. SF only re-encoded some streamers during the last DRM change crisis. Your guess is wrong.
      I just double-checked based on your response. I am almost positive that StreamFab is re-encoding. The Encoding usage on my Quadro card is 0 when the download is going on. Then, as soon as the "Processing" phase starts, the Encoding goes to 40%. I cancelled the processing before it was done and the Encoding went back to 0% right away. Nothing else was running on the computer at the time.

I have been downloading the same shows off of HULU for many months now, and I am quite familiar with the quality it used to be.

I just took a look at the file size, and it's now less than half of what it was. Jan 6, an episode of "The Chase" was 1,249,133KB and the episodes on 1/13 and 1/20 were both almost exactly 558,521KB - less than half the size. All were 720p.

Clearly something's up.

Comment

Is it possible that SF is using your GPU for some part of the decryption process?

Comment

I also have noticed that the processing time on HULU downloads has extremely increased!

Comment

Originally posted by beaugrc View Post

I just took a look at the file size, and it's now less than half of what it was. Jan 6, an episode of "The Chase" was 1,249,133KB and the episodes on 1/13 and 1/20 were both almost exactly 558,521KB - less than half the size. All were 720p.

Clearly something's up.
            I see what you mean now with The Chase. None of the shows I usually get from HULU have behaved that way.

The problem seems to be an often heard complaint about the download bit rates don't have anything to do with the listed bit rate that you choose.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2023-01-23 2.19.49 PM.png
Views:	835
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	421153

I chose the 4575 kbps rate for both the Jan 6th (S03E11) episode and Jan 13 (S03E12) and here are the results.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2023-01-23 1.55.52 PM.png
Views:	789
Size:	196.1 KB
ID:	421154

In order for S03E11 to match S03E12's low bit rate you have to set it to the 2102 kbps bit rate. I couldn't figure out how to get S03E12 to have a higher bit rate.
            Funny thing is if I download those two shows direct from ABC using TubeDigger, the lowest bit rate is 5000+ kbps and the highest is 8000+.

Comment

I see what you mean now with The Chase. None of the shows I usually get from HULU have behaved that way.

The problem seems to be an often heard complaint about the download bit rates don't have anything to do with the listed bit rate that you choose.

In order for S03E11 to match S03E12's low bit rate you have to set it to the 2102 kbps bit rate. I couldn't figure out how to get S03E12 to have a higher bit rate.
              Funny thing is if I download those two shows direct from ABC using TubeDigger, the lowest bit rate is 5000+ kbps and the highest is 8000+.

SF can't see the transport streams...I've brought this up before with no results.

Comment

Originally posted by GrandpaC View Post
                I also have noticed that the processing time on HULU downloads has extremely increased!
                Same. Downloads are pretty fast. But it's a significant longer processing time.

Comment

Originally posted by fosse76 View Post

Same. Downloads are pretty fast. But it's a significant longer processing time.
                  I really wouldn't know. I don't sit there and watch the little green line move across the screen. I start the download going and find other things to do. It's called multitasking. I read forums (including this one), catch up on the news of the world, play solitaire, take a nap, read my Kindle, etc.; etc. Eventually I'll go back and check on SF and all the downloads are usually done.

Comment

Thanks for the input. I will check other shows to see if perhaps I'm just unlucky and happen to be downloading shows that aren't being processed correctly. I know The Bachelor started last night!

Comment

It looks like this problem is only with certain shows. The Chase is the worst offender, but Celebrity Jeopardy is not great either. However, I downloaded The Bachelor and the quality is excellent - so obviously mileage may vary. The long processing time is annoying, but it's not the end of the world.

Comment

Just wanted to circle back to this post and say that HULU has gone from being a terrible experience to being outstanding. Downloading in H265 1080p is excellent and fast. Minimal processing time now after downloads. Excellent job!

Comment

Originally posted by beaugrc View Post
                          Just wanted to circle back to this post and say that HULU has gone from being a terrible experience to being outstanding. Downloading in H265 1080p is excellent and fast. Minimal processing time now after downloads. Excellent job!
                          Thanks for the update.
                          This thread is closed.

Comment

Working...
                          X