Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The interesting thing is that in late January when the DRM change went into effect and StreamFab didn't have an update for it, we assumed it was because they didn't take it seriously enough and were late to the game. Especially, when the competition came out with a fix. However, 2.5 months later with no fix in place that assumption doesn't necessarily carry any weight anymore. The truth is they could have started working on it back in November, like the competition supposedly did, and it still wouldn't have mattered because whether it be 2.5 months or 5 months, they've shown no indication that they can resolve it.

I've only been using StreamFab for 14 months, but I feel I used it pretty heavily during that time and got my money's worth. If they can't fix Amazon, then I hope they at least manage to keep some of the other streaming services working well enough so I can at least pull some other titles from time to time. I'd go with the competition to support Amazon, but I'm not into paying with crypto currency, so they will need to fix their ability to pay using other methods. I do, however, feel bad for those that dropped a bunch on StreamFab and haven't been able to reap enough benefits yet. Like "Chameleon", I'm starting to believe this is a crippled product that will never again be what it once was.

Comment

Originally posted by fabuloustream View Post

Not even the latest release 2 days ago but 3/10 release and maybe the forked ffmpeg too. Wish they utilize the latest MKV merge instead of an older 68.0. I wouldn't say zero development since they may have incorporated them, but they still have to test and ensure the overall application/UI works as it should
      What's stopping you from using the latest mkvmerge.exe? I changed that and other things with each SF update because they like to use old program versions. I've done it for about the last 2 years. Never had a problem caused by it. I'd love to update Python up to 3.12.3, but they have StreamFab hard-coded to use 3.8. Python 3.8 is set to be depreciated come October, if I'm not mistaken. They had to quick upgrade Python to 3.8 last year (after I told them about it) because 3.7 depreciated then. I don't know why they didn't upgrade to the latest Python at the time (which was 3.11.) They never bothered to remove the Python 3.7 directory from SF. Very sloppy coders. The source is probably all spaghetti. Could be the reason why it takes them so long to fix anything.

The following is my cheat sheet to remind me what programs to use and where to put them. I've done it so often that I really don't need the cheat sheet anymore.

Bin1 from latest shared BtbN nightly FFMPEG - Bin contents only
      Bin2 from latest non-shared (static) BtbN nightly FFMPEG - ffmpeg.exe only
      Main from latest MKVToolNix and MediaInfo - mkvmerge.exe and mediainfo.dll only
      Tube from latest Arias2c and AtomicParsley - arias2c.exe and atomicparsley.exe only

Add Tube to C:\Program Files\DVDFab\StreamFab\YouTubeDL
      Add Bin1 to C:\Program Files\DVDFab\StreamFab\YouTubeDL
      Add Bin1 to C:\Program Files\DVDFab\StreamFab
      Add Bin2 to C:\Program Files\DVDFab\StreamFab
      Add Main to C:\Program Files\DVDFab\StreamFab
      [* Do exact order shown *]

The only development they've ever done on ytdl.exe (YouTubeToMP3Process.exe) is that they use the source, add two SF-related commands (one being about a cache and the other I forget), recompile and name it YouTubeToMP3Process.exe.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffDavis View Post
        They didn't. They uncompress the full resolution video, then re-encode it at the same resolution. I also assumed they were upscaling low resolution video, as the StreamFab reps have never explained it very well. Germania did in posts #40 and #44 of this thread:

https://forum.dvdfab.cn/forum/software-support-english/youtube-to-mp3-youtube-video-downloader/438278-hulu-location-bug?p=438821

It's not an ideal workaround, as the original video stream (and maybe audio stream?) is re-encoded, adding more compression artifacts. They re-encode as H.264, which can be done more quickly than H.265, but still takes a significant amount of computing time on your computer. StreamFab hasn't disclosed the encoding settings they use (e.g. preset, CRF) for the re-encode, but they probably have to sacrifice quality to get a reasonable encode time. Some have reported the program crashing or locking up during the re-encoding. I used it a few times to download season 7 episodes of Young Sheldon from Amazon. The results were satisfactory, but that's with current year video produced by digital cameras (hence low noise and easy to compress) and each episode only 20 minutes long. For the time being I'm using version 6.1.6.7.
        Strange, because I've noticed when I select an episode (just tried it with that new Fallout series), I select the highest resolution (2.5GB file size), and if I immediately go to the download tab, I can see it analysing the video. And when it starts downloading, for just an instant, it shows it's downloading a 5XX MB file and then it jumps to a 2.5GB file.
        The download is very quick too, like it would normally take to download a real 5XX MB file (nowhere near what it would take to download a 2.5GB file), and then it needs time to recode, and the result is a 2.5GB file.
        So I really think it's downloading a low res video, and just rescaling it to an "HD" video.

Comment

Originally posted by Exxar View Post

Strange, because I've noticed when I select an episode (just tried it with that new Fallout series), I select the highest resolution (2.5GB file size), and if I immediately go to the download tab, I can see it analysing the video. And when it starts downloading, for just an instant, it shows it's downloading a 5XX MB file and then it jumps to a 2.5GB file.
          The download is very quick too, like it would normally take to download a real 5XX MB file (nowhere near what it would take to download a 2.5GB file), and then it needs time to recode, and the result is a 2.5GB file.
          So I really think it's downloading a low res video, and just rescaling it to an "HD" video.
          I haven't updated to the newest version yet. Yesterday dl Fallout S01 and they all were about 3 gigs..

Comment

Not based on my experience, but I'm not using the latest version. The results I've seen would seem to justify what you quoted from "JeffDavis"

I was downloading a TV series in HD before the DRM change, after when it was coming down as SD, and then later when re-encoding was introduced. Before the DRM change, I was originally getting 2.4GB HD files. After, I was clearly getting 700MB SD files. When the re-encode was introduced I started getting 800MB HD files (1/3 the size of the original HD files). The reason I feel confident that the re-encode is from the larger HD file and not an upscale of an SD file, is from visual inspection of the video. The differences between the original HD and the later SD are night and day. The differences between the re-encoded file and the other two is much closer to the HD than the SD. There is just no way an upscale from SD to HD could look that good with the amount of detail included. Based on visual inspection, I can only conclude that the re-encode is a further compression of the HD file and not an upconvert of an SD file.

Comment

Although it may improve things I don't feel I paid good money only to manually patch a program that should by all rights not require it. I'm not interested in fixing their software, I'm only interested in them justifying the money I paid them.

I tested 6.1.7.3 with mixed results. I strongly suspect it is still re-encoding. I use Road House 2024 as a test vid both because it was released post 1-25-24 and also included with Prime so development doesn't have to rent it when I report issues via the ticket system (leaving ZERO room for excuses). The release notes only indicate a fix for the 702 error code. DRM is still an issue.

It took 1 hour and 23 minutes to complete the video. A movie that is 2 hours and 3 minutes long. StreamClient.exe did not crash during analysis but that took quite a while. Numerous times the counters either froze for a minute or two or began counting backwards. StreamClient.exe did crash during "processing" but remuxing completed. In contrast the same video at the same resolution took about 41 minutes to complete using an alternate "solution." Draw your own conclusions.

Technically it did work. But so do hand grenades with about the same accuracy and efficacy. I did not test any episodic TV series. I'm sure as I type this someone is.
              An intentional omission is still a lie.

Win8=WTF? Win8.1=Not helping. Win10=Pastel Pansy City. Win11=Did I buy a Macintrash? Win12=MacinRehashed

Comment

For the gazillionth time, that is not what re-encoding does. It is a misnomer. The result of a Chinese misuse of the English language. There is no rescaling or re-encoding involved. If anything, it should be known as the CleverGet method of downloading. It is simply a modified video recording method. This is an example of how it works: Because the user is locked out of doing a 1080p L3 download because they do not have the latest L3 DRM key, they do a screen recording of the video. The screen recording is done on the display from a regular browser, which has the newest DRM built-in. This display is at 1080p (or greater, if available). In order to save time, the video is sped up, two or more times. In other words, for a one-hour show it is displayed and video recorded in half an hour or better. When the screen recording is finished, during processing, the video is slowed down to the correct speed, and if there are any commercials, they are removed. The CleverGet method is known for its sync problems. The commercial removal process is usually where the sync problems appear, but even a few milliseconds miscalculations can ruin a whole video's sync, especially near the end of the video. Another problem with the CleverGet method is that you need fast memory and storage, otherwise you risk losing data. You'll probably run into problems with an old computer with slow RAM and a hard drive for storage (especially if that hard drive is seriously fragmented.) The CleverGet method (aka "re-encoding") is not worth the bother. Stick with 6.1.6.7, which is the last non-"re-encoding" update. You may not get the full resolution that you hope for but, for now, until the DRM gets fixed, you'll have the direct streaming download that you paid big money for. If you must use a video screen recording method, it is best to go with a "1 to 1" screen recorder, meaning one that records a one-hour show in one hour. Even then, it is best to use a newer computer with fast RAM and fast SSD storage.

Comment

Originally posted by Cats4U View Post

...If anything, it should be known as the CleverGet method...
                  Hi Cats4U, first of all i am glad you are still sticking round at the forum.
                  You seem to know about the clever get, however, Is this really how Streamfab works currently? Based on following the progress downloading "new" content, everything is downloaded in encrypted junks. Then the download is finished and processing starts. The junks are merged together into one large encryped file file (the progress bar doesn't move yet and it takes some time for the merge). Next the progress bar moves very slowly - as far as I understood SF runs the encryped file through Widevine and make use of some hook, grabbing the decoded content frame by frame. encoding them to H264. After this, audios are multiplexed with the newly encoded video producing the ready video file as MKV or MP3. From my findings I had no sync problems and even the frames per second match the original conent as well as the resolution of the original. Also I do not see that ads are included in th downloaded material. Anyways. I'd be happy to learn what really goes on behind the scenes :-)

Comment

Hi Cats4U, first of all i am glad you are still sticking round at the forum.
                    Thanks, but I don't know how often I'll be here in the future. I'm here now just to clear up a few misconceptions. I'm not using StreamFab anymore. Just torrenting. It's real nice that I don't have to wake up at 5am (or stay up all night) in order to download my wife's shows before she wakes up. 3 minutes after a show airs (or even before) I can download a show from my torrent sites and go to bed at a reasonable time. With streaming, you have to wait until the next morning. Since Disney took over HULU it is at, I believe, 9am EST. It used to be at 5:30am EST.

You seem to know about the clever get, however, Is this really how Streamfab works currently?​
                    CleverGet (aka re-encoding) is exactly as I described. It is just a sped up video screen recording. Even Wilson acknowledged the method they were using when asked.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-04-12 5.51.38 PM.png
Views:	1100
Size:	13.1 KB
ID:	440650

Comment

Wilson.Wang Mona DVDFab Staff 的 Amazon 和 Netflix DRM 金鑰怎麼樣? 我們終於又想要真正的下載模式了。

網站3個月後沒有任何變化! Streamfab 現在使用 Clevergate 方法的通知在哪裡?​​

Comment

Originally posted by Sebastian001 View Post
                        Wilson.Wang Mona DVDFab Staff 的 Amazon 和 Netflix DRM 金鑰怎麼樣? 我們終於又想要真正的下載模式了。

網站3個月後沒有任何變化! Streamfab 現在使用 Clevergate 方法的通知在哪裡?​​
                        What does that mean? Could you please translate from Mandarin?

Comment

Originally posted by peter777 View Post

What does that mean? Could you please translate from Mandarin?
                          Just use a translator, or mark Translate with the right mouse button in Edge... It doesn't say anything other than when will the DRM be fixed. Maybe it will do more in Chinese!

Comment

Plugged it into Google Translate and this is what I got. Makes perfect sense now.

Name:	ferengi_sm.jpg
Views:	573
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	440808

An intentional omission is still a lie.

Win8=WTF? Win8.1=Not helping. Win10=Pastel Pansy City. Win11=Did I buy a Macintrash? Win12=MacinRehashed

Comment

Originally posted by NewMelle View Post
                              Plugged it into Google Translate and this is what I got. Makes perfect sense now.

Name:	ferengi_sm.jpg
Views:	573
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	440808
                              it should also be a message for Wilson...

Comment

Originally posted by Sebastian001 View Post

Just use a translator, or mark Translate with the right mouse button in Edge... It doesn't say anything other than when will the DRM be fixed. Maybe it will do more in Chinese!
                                I used a translator but it translates always from English to German - not from Mandarin to German/English!

Comment

Working...
                                X