Netflix: Cannot get SOCKS5 UK proxy to work from USA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Netflix: Cannot get SOCKS5 UK proxy to work from USA

I am in the USA. My Netflix account was set up in the USA.

I'm trying to get around some geo-blocking and am trying to use a UK SOCKS5 proxy in StreamFab. I'm using BuyProxies for the proxies. They are providing SOCKS5 proxies that work with Netflix.

In StreamFab, in "Settings", the proxy settings under "Network" do not do anything. I can enter anything in there and it will not use what is entered.

So, I'm instead using Proxifier 4.07.

I can enter a UK SOCKS5 proxy in Proxifier 4.07 and it will work successfully in a web browser (using Chromium 101.0.4951.54). Titles play. I am certain it is using the UK proxy because UK ratings appear next to titles. I also verified using ipchecker (leader.ru).

But in StreamFab, when I click on a title, it does not bring up the manifest. Instead, the entire browsing window just turns black. The only thing I can do is close the tab.

This does not happen in StreamFab when I enter a USA SOCKS5 proxy in Proxifier 4.07. Clicking on a title brings up the manifest. The titles also play in Chromium 101.0.4951.54 using the USA SOCKS5 proxy.

Is there just no way?

Logs attached. (I restarted StreamFab after closing and deleting the temp folder between the log files.)

(An important note... I'm on a workstation without a GPU. I'm using software renderers.)

Attached Files

I found out some additional information:

For the USA proxy I was using, Netflix did not recognize it as a VPN/proxy and gave me the full USA version of Netflix. StreamFab worked fine.

For the UK proxy, Netflix recognized it as a VPN/proxy. When this happens, instead of blocking itself entirely, it instead gives a "geo restricted version" of Netflix after log-in. In the "geo restricted version", it only shows Netflix original content, and content that it has licensed to be viewable world wide. Anything that is restricted to certain regions will be hidden.

It is this "geo restricted version" that StreamFab is not able to download from. After clicking any movie or series, StreamFab shows a blank black page.

There is a quick way to tell if you're logging in to the "geo restricted version" of Netflix:

Pick a custom profile icon in Netflix that is different from the default. You can find it under "Manage Profiles," click your profile, then click the little edit icon next to the profile logo.

When logging in to the "full" version of Netflix for your country, you will see the custom profile icon.

When logging in to the "geo restricted version" of Netflix (VPN/Proxy detected), it will show the default profile icon instead of the custom one you selected.

So, again, to summarize:

StreamFAB does not work the "geo restricted version" of Netflix.

Comment

Originally posted by AllNight View Post
      I found out some additional information:

For the USA proxy I was using, Netflix did not recognize it as a VPN/proxy and gave me the full USA version of Netflix. StreamFab worked fine.

For the UK proxy, Netflix recognized it as a VPN/proxy. When this happens, instead of blocking itself entirely, it instead gives a "geo restricted version" of Netflix after log-in. In the "geo restricted version", it only shows Netflix original content, and content that it has licensed to be viewable world wide. Anything that is restricted to certain regions will be hidden.

It is this "geo restricted version" that StreamFab is not able to download from. After clicking any movie or series, StreamFab shows a blank black page.

There is a quick way to tell if you're logging in to the "geo restricted version" of Netflix:

Pick a custom profile icon in Netflix that is different from the default. You can find it under "Manage Profiles," click your profile, then click the little edit icon next to the profile logo.

When logging in to the "full" version of Netflix for your country, you will see the custom profile icon.

When logging in to the "geo restricted version" of Netflix (VPN/Proxy detected), it will show the default profile icon instead of the custom one you selected.

So, again, to summarize:

StreamFAB does not work the "geo restricted version" of Netflix.
      have you tried using dns4me proxy ??
      see post #10 - https://forum.dvdfab.cn/forum/softwa...aming-services

Comment

If your Netflix account is for the U.S. why are you trying to use a UK proxy? Netflix uses geo-fencing and will block attempts to log in to an account from another country. They do this to prevent password sharing and are going to start charging users for password sharing.

If your account is U.S. based you should use a proxy from the U.S. but they are also blocking VPN's and proxies more than ever before.

Comment

Originally posted by jsinfate View Post
          If your Netflix account is for the U.S. why are you trying to use a UK proxy? Netflix uses geo-fencing and will block attempts to log in to an account from another country. They do this to prevent password sharing and are going to start charging users for password sharing.

If your account is U.S. based you should use a proxy from the U.S. but they are also blocking VPN's and proxies more than ever before.
          Correct answer.
          Programmer in Python,Java,JavaScript,Swift,PHP,SQL,C#,C++,Go,R

Comment

Originally posted by jsinfate View Post
            Netflix uses geo-fencing and will block attempts to log in to an account from another country.
            I suspected this, but I thought it should still work. Because, what if I am traveling and want to watch Netflix with my login when I am in another country? I guess people who want to do that, can't.

Comment

You can, you just need to make sure the proxy or VPN server you use is in the U.S.

Comment

The point is, that's not going to work if you're trying to access content that is exclusive to a country other than the one from which you created your account.

Example, USA person travels to UK, logs in to Netflix, and gets geo-blocked version, which only has Netflix original material and content authorized for worldwide viewing.

So the only thing they can do, is use a VPN located in the USA, that Netflix hasn't found out about yet, to see content exclusive to the USA, whilst in the UK.

You will never see UK exclusive content in the above situation, even if you use a UK VPN that Netflix hasn't found out about yet.

Comment

Working...
                X