Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just curious, Is downloading from ROKU Channel slow for everyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just curious, Is downloading from ROKU Channel slow for everyone?

Hiya,

I've *never* gotten a decent download speed from The Roku Channel.

I don't have any other speed issues with other download modules & streaming services that I use.

Is it also slow for others?

Example Roku Channel - Hacker's Game right now (see attached)

Thanks!

Mike

US - CST, No VPN, StreamFab 6.1.0.1, Competition for HBOMax...
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Mike_M; 01-05-2023, 02:53 PM.

The answer is yes. The developers must do something to improve the speed ratings. The current one is terrible.

Comment

It wasn't terrible when I tried it. Took about 10 minutes for a movie on a DSL line.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_M View Post
        Hiya,

I've *never* gotten a decent download speed from The Roku Channel.

I don't have any other speed issues with other download modules & streaming services that I use.

Is it also slow for others?

Example Roku Channel - Hacker's Game right now (see attached)

Thanks!

Mike

US - CST, No VPN, StreamFab 6.1.0.1, Competition for HBOMax...
        Yes, it's horrible! Any computer trying to get anything on that module drags on so long and half of them fail. Everything regardless of the title is 240p and is downloading at 61.34KB/s. I'm on 6.1.0.2. They are all hardwired to a fiber 2G internet connection. Therefore, speed should not be an issue for me but it is. This is not an issue on my end. It takes about 25-30 seconds to download a half hour episode on hulu, but on roku it takes about 15-20 minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by corey75 View Post

Yes, it's horrible! Any computer trying to get anything on that module drags on so long and half of them fail. Everything regardless of the title is 240p and is downloading at 61.34KB/s. I'm on 6.1.0.2. They are all hardwired to a fiber 2G internet connection. Therefore, speed should not be an issue for me but it is. This is not an issue on my end. It takes about 25-30 seconds to download a half hour episode on hulu, but on roku it takes about 15-20 minutes.
          Thanks Corey75,

The Roku Channel is the only one so far that's a big speed issue for me.

I don't have any other speed related issues right now with the several other modules I'm using.

Reason's it's so important to me?

1. I've noticed recently that some sub channels that you can subscribe to on The Roku Channel have content that they *don't* have if you subscribe via Amazon.

2. I'm all about the savings and I've seen a few special discount offers on Roku/Channels that I can't take advantage of (or even try) due to it's speed issues for me using StreamFab.

Mike

US - CST, No Vpn, Win10/64 Pro & Win11/64 Pro,
          Latest version of StreamFab Lifetime, Latest version of Competitor Lifetime for HBOMax
          Roku Ultra with USB Port for it's hardware upscaling, Topaz AI software upscaling for sub 720p/720p (target is 1080p for me with best sound/multi-channels)
          Last edited by Mike_M; 01-10-2023, 02:20 AM.

Comment

Download speed is less than Amazon Prime. I assume it's the Roku Channel servers limiting the transfer speed. I'm in the the process of downloading Leave It to Beaver episodes, which are 1080p. Each file is ~1 GB in size. Each one takes 10-12 minutes, or about 2X real time (episodes are 25-26 minutes each).

It seems to transfer all the video packets first, then the audio packets. Going by memory here, but the transfer speed by packet seems to be more or less the same, so when it gets to the smaller audio packets, transfer speed in bps slows down.
            Last edited by JeffDavis; 01-10-2023, 02:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffDavis View Post
              Download speed is less than Amazon Prime. I assume it's the Roku Channel servers limiting the transfer speed. I'm in the the process of downloading Leave It to Beaver episodes, which are 1080p. Each file is ~1 GB in size. Each one takes 10-12 minutes, or about 2X real time (episodes are 25-26 minutes each).

It seems to transfer all the video packets first, then the audio packets. Going by memory here, but the transfer speed by packet seems to be more or less the same, so when it gets to the smaller audio packets, transfer speed in bps slows down.
              Thanks JeffDavis!

So it's the audio packets that seem to be the culprit of slowdowns?

Wonder if there's anything StreamFab can do to compensate?

Like I said it's frustrating when you subscribe to a channel on Amazon and see some content on Roku on that same channel you can't get.

Mike

Comment

Working...
              X