Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a definitive way to tell if a show should be H265 on Netflix?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there a definitive way to tell if a show should be H265 on Netflix?

Just like the topic says, if you think a show should be in H265 but downloads H264, is that a possible error with SF or is the show not in 265?
    Example: Brand new show Wednesday is 264, but an older show like Cobra Kai is 265. Some of the movies are pretty random too.
    Are we possibly fighting the same things like when shows are not available in HD, due to program issues?

Huh... Wednesday is H265.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	214.4 KB ID:	422996

Things on this list are H265 for sure:

Comment

Thanks for confirmation. When I try to download it, it comes in at h264. So, it's probably a SF issue? Or is imdb wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by MrKrawk View Post
        Thanks for confirmation. When I try to download it, it comes in at h264. So, it's probably a SF issue? Or is imdb wrong?
        Just to cover all the bases, did you set up Netflix to download as H265? SDR or HDR?

Maybe Wednesday doesn't have an SDR option and will only work in HDR?

These are my settings if you want to try:

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	252.1 KB ID:	423041

EDIT: Ok i just tried and that is the issue. There is no SDR version available so it downoads in H264. When downloading in HDR it works fine.

I don't know how you watch the shows you download but most modern players will do Tone Mapping if you try to play HDR content on SDR hardware.​
        Last edited by jpp72; 03-10-2023, 09:12 PM.

Comment

I will try the HDR stream, thanks for pursuing this. This could also be the answer to why some of the Netflix movies do not download with 265.

The worst that is going to happen I suppose is it will look too dark or something.
          How I watch shows right now would be PC based, MPC-HC (K-Lite Mega installed). I am looking for a set top device I could use a USB drive on, most of my existing ones do not support H265.

Comment

Originally posted by jpp72 View Post

Just to cover all the bases, did you set up Netflix to download as H265? SDR or HDR?

Maybe Wednesday doesn't have an SDR option and will only work in HDR?

These are my settings if you want to try:

EDIT: Ok i just tried and that is the issue. There is no SDR version available so it downoads in H264. When downloading in HDR it works fine.

I don't know how you watch the shows you download but most modern players will do Tone Mapping if you try to play HDR content on SDR hardware.​
            HDR h265 is not available as well. Could be that I don't pay for the 4K plan so they don't offer it.

Comment

Originally posted by MrKrawk View Post

HDR h265 is not available as well. Could be that I don't pay for the 4K plan so they don't offer it.
              what Netflix plan are you on ?? see under 6.1.0.3 - https://www.dvdfab.cn/downloader-new.htm

Comment

Originally posted by october262 View Post

what Netflix plan are you on ?? see under 6.1.0.3 - https://www.dvdfab.cn/downloader-new.htm
                I have the Standard HD plan. Meaning, the video, as you have tested has h265 but only with HDR. Odd that it doesn't have h265 SDR available.

Comment

Working...
                X