Netflix AV1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Netflix AV1

Just wondering when support for AV1 will roll out?

They just got support for VP9, I never saw them say they were going to support AV1
    Programmer in Python,Java,JavaScript,Swift,PHP,SQL,C#,C++,Go,R

Comment

Netflix added AV1 back in 2020 but only for Android devices because they were the devices that had the biggest percentage of chipsets to hardware decode AV1.

Then they added a few other Smart TVs in 2021

Now that pretty much all Android/Google/Fire TV, Samsung TV and LG TV since 2020 support it, it makes sense that Netflix is delivering content that way.

VP10 was folded into AV1 so it again makes sense that they now support AVC, HEVC, VP9 and AV1. The Alliance for Open Media is already working on AV2 so companies need to be nimble in adoption. Netflix said if they weren't using HEVC and AV1, global bandwidth used to watch Netflix would be higher by 25% so they are constantly trying to reduce that.

Comment

Thanks for that information jpp72
        Programmer in Python,Java,JavaScript,Swift,PHP,SQL,C#,C++,Go,R

Comment

Just found this...AV1 Playback Support: Everything You Need to Know [2023 Update] (bitmovin.com)

As usual, Apple doesn't like anything that is royalty-free...

I just installed the AV1 Extension from the Microsoft Store now that i am officially dumping Chrome and only using Edge.

Now i have to update all my yt-dlp scripts to use Edge cookies instead of Chrome

Comment

Originally posted by Chameleon View Post
            Thanks for that information jpp72
            You're welcome

Comment

When will DVDfab start using H266 ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ????????????????????????

Comment

Originally posted by ord1117 View Post
                When will DVDfab start using H266 ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ????????????????????????
                Lol are you serious right now? Specs were finalized in 2020 and we all know how long it takes for adoption.

x266 encoder isn't even publicly available yet (will be in 2nd half of 2023). Even if they were to use Fraunhofer's VVenC, your PC doesn't support hardware encoding.

Even Intel's Arc GPU only supports AV1 encoding where the specs were finalized in 2015. 12th gen cannot hardware encode AV1, let alone VVC.

Same boat for NVidia. They just added AV1 to the Jetson Orin Industrial embeded products. Those are for AI-powered robots, smart drones, etc... Not consumer products.
                Last edited by jpp72; 07-02-2023, 09:26 PM.

Comment

You said 2nd half of 2023

it is NOW 07-02-2023

People need to start using it

Checking it out

Making it better

I like H265

The inner working should Not be that different !!!!!!!

Comment

it is NOW 07-02-2023

People need to start using it

Checking it out

Making it better

I like H265

And i also said there are no consumer hardware encoders for it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	258
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	427340

So go ahead and message them with your reply to my message: x266 - VVC Encoder | x266 Encoder | HEVC Codec | MulticoreWare (multicorewareinc.com)

Please let us know when they let you download it and also let us know if you are able to software encode a 2 hour movie in less than 76 hours

Comment

I like H265

It's 50% more efficient than H265 and 6.5x slower at encoding (more complex computation) but sure... shouldn't be that different...smh

Comment

Life used to be so simple. When I was growing up the biggest hardware issue we had was whether we had enough aluminum foil in the kitchen cabinet to add to the rabbit ears of our 19 inch B&W TV in order to pick up a distant TV station.

Comment

Yes, it has BUGS to work Out.

DVDfab NEVER has Problems

Everything WORKS Perfect

Comment

Originally posted by Cats4U View Post
                            Life used to be so simple. When I was growing up the biggest hardware issue we had was whether we had enough aluminum foil in the kitchen cabinet to add to the rabbit ears of our 19 inch B&W TV in order to pick up a distant TV station.
                            Lol i remember me and my little brother being the "remote". Get a smack across the back of the head to get up and go change the channel

Comment

Yes, it has BUGS to work Out.

DVDfab NEVER has Problems

Everything WORKS Perfect
                              Wow... You are really something else... How is being slower, because doing more complex computations in software instead of hardware, a bug?

Anyway, i am done with this thread since clearly nothing constructive will come of it.

Comment

Working...
                              X