Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

6.1.4.4 Netflix is not downloading in H265 anymore

Hello
    This is rather odd. I can't get anything in HEVC from Netflix anymore. I do get a notice at the end of each series.
    This has happened with
    1. One Piece
    2. Burning Body
    3. Kaleidoscope
    4. S.W.A.T (all 6 seasons)
    4. Glitch (All 3 Seasons)

Click image for larger version

Name:	No more H265 in Netflix.jpg
Views:	652
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	430931
    Programmer in Python,Java,JavaScript,Swift,PHP,SQL,C#,C++,Go,R

Originally posted by Chameleon View Post
    Hello
    This is rather odd. I can't get anything in HEVC from Netflix anymore. I do get a notice at the end of each series.
    This has happened with
    1. One Piece
    2. Burning Body
    3. Kaleidoscope
    4. S.W.A.T (all 6 seasons)
    4. Glitch (All 3 Seasons)
    S.W.A.T. Is "normal" not to be in H265 as StreamFab never downloaded H265 from shows that aren't made by Netflix.

One Piece works in HDR, did you try that instead of Dolby Vision? Just to see if it's ALL H265 that don't work for you.

There is definitely an issue. Older releases that used to have H265 no longer do. I find it hard to believe Netflix just discontinued that format on those shows so i think they have a different profile for older shows that have ended. I downloaded Dark in H265 HDR a long time ago but it no longer works. I tried using the same version as before and it still doesn't work.

So, to me, that clearly means something has changed on Netflix's side.

We need the developer to go back and inspect the profiles they can get. Just like they looked for the Main H264 profile when people asked.

H265 also has Main and High so maybe some of the older shows are now on the High profile and the continuing shows are on the Main?

Wilson.Wang , Mona , Can you please have the devs look into this?

How to post issues in the StreamFab Section

Comment

Hi jpp72 thanks for responding, this now has become a real issue for me. I have limited disk space and I need to use H265. It seems everything I try, and I do mean everything is now in H264 and I know it was previously in H265. I don't believe Netflix has eliminated H265. I do believe this is a Fab issue. as you asked, I hope the developers will look into this. Thank you jpp72

Comment

@Chameleon.....

For what it's worth..... I keep a fairly detailed database of my videos..... and based on your post..... I took a look to review what my personal results are.....

Since 08/01/2023 inclusive..... I have downloaded a total of 42 movies from Netflix..... with the following settings which are always my settings regarding Netflix.....

Audio Codec - EAC3
        Video Codec - H265 - HDR10
        H264 Profile - High

Of the 42 video files..... only 3 were received in H265 format..... with the remaining 39 received in H264..... and if it matters..... all 42 video files were movies with none being in the category of TV Shows/Episodes.....

Additionally..... just prior to publishing this post..... I went to Netflix and attempted downloading a couple different video files varying the settings in different combinations..... however..... no matter what the combination of settings for the two video files I was attempting..... I received H264 each time.
        Last edited by weavermovies; 09-24-2023, 02:21 PM.

​"Just because you can..... doesn't mean you should!"

"The only thing worse than the devil that you know..... is the devil that you don't!"

Comment

Hi,
          First of all, thank you for doing all this work to help me. I appreciate your time and effort. So do you think Netflix has done away with H265 or is StreamFab to blame for not being able to access it? I am almost sure that in the past I was able to be movies in H265 and also episodes. I may be wrong. This is important to me as my computer only has a limited amount of disc space.

Comment

Originally posted by weavermovies View Post
            @Chameleon.....

For what it's worth..... I keep a fairly detailed database of my videos..... and based on your post..... I took a look to review what my personal results are.....

Since 08/01/2023 inclusive..... I have downloaded a total of 42 movies from Netflix..... with the following settings which are always my settings regarding Netflix.....

Audio Codec - EAC3
            H264 Profile - High

Of the 42 video files..... only 3 were received in H265 format..... with the remaining 39 received in H264..... and if it matters..... all 42 video files were movies with none being in the category of TV Shows/Episodes.....

Additionally..... just prior to publishing this post..... I went to Netflix and attempted downloading a couple different video files varying the settings in different combinations..... however..... no matter what the combination of settings for the two video files I was attempting..... I received H264 each time.
            Do you have a list of the stuff you downloaded? As i said before, if it is not made by Netflix (with the red N on the picture/thumbnail), 99% of the time it won't be available in H265.

This list will give you a fairly accurate picture of what is available in H265.

Don't get me wrong, something has definitely changed because shows i previously downloaded in H265 are no longer being downloaded as H265. They don't even download in H265 using the same old version used back then to download them.

My unproven theory is that they are now in a different profile that StreamFab is not looking for. Same goes for Atmos on some newer stuff.

What needs to happen is that they need to re-examine the profiles because some shows using a different profile seems to make the most sense.

Looking at the logs, StreamFab currently looks for these "manifest levels":
            • H265_HDR10_EAC
            • H265_HDR10_AAC
            • H265_SDR_EAC
            • H265_SDR_AAC
            • H264_HP_EAC
            • H264_HP_AAC
            • H264_MP_EAC
            • H264_MP_AAC
            I am assuming these names are internal to StreamFab and they are just constants that are hardcoded somewhere. They need to verify that those constants still point to the right profiles.

Comment

Thanks jpp72 and weavermovies , you both have helped me and I do appreciate it. Now I would appreciate an answer from Wilson.Wang as to what we can do to get H265 back in the program, this is one of the reasons this program differ from other, it has many options that other programs do not offer. Thank you all again. The help is invaluable.

Comment

Originally posted by jpp72 View Post
                Do you have a list of the stuff you downloaded?
                Ask and you shall receive.....

The list is in the order of descending download sequence beginning with the most recent.....
                and the 3 H265 files are highlighted in Bold Red..... with all others received in H264.....

And as a reminder..... the settings were all.....

Audio Codec - EAC3
                H264 Profile - High​

"Heart Of Stone"
                "Peppermint"
                "The Great Waldo Pepper"
                "Dragnet (1987)"
                "The Deer Hunter"
                "Conan The Barbarian"
                "The Big Short"
                "U-571"
                "Field Of Dreams"
                "Jaws"
                "The Best Of Enemies"
                "The Gray Man"
                "Spenser Confidential" H265
                "The Vault"
                "Fast Five"
                "The Fast And The Furious (2001)"
                "The Fast And The Furious Tokyo Drift"
                "Fast & Furious"
                "2 Fast 2 Furious"
                "The Do Over" H265
                "You People"
                "Heat (1995)"
                "A League Of Their Own (1992)"
                "Bullet Train"
                "Your Place Or Mine"
                "The Young Victoria"
                "When We First Met"
                "Purple Hearts" H265
                "Ferris Bueller's Day Off"
                "Coming To America"
                "The Karate Kid Part II"
                "Earthquake"
                "The Irishman"
                "Race"
                "Collateral"
                "Pride And Prejudice (2005)"
                "Operation Mincemeat"
                "Starship Troopers"
                "The Breakfast Club"
                "Darkest Hour (2017)"
                "A Man Called Otto"
                "Marshall"​

"The only thing worse than the devil that you know..... is the devil that you don't!"

Comment

I really am lost, 3 movies in H265 out of 43, are not a very good percentage, and as I said I could be wrong but I am sure, that most of those used to be available in HEVC in the past. Something has changed, I am not sure if Fab has changed or Netflix is to blame, but I am disappointed.

Comment

I really am lost, 3 movies in H265 out of 43, are not a very good percentage, and as I said I could be wrong but I am sure, that most of those used to be available in HEVC in the past. Something has changed, I am not sure if Fab has changed or Netflix is to blame, but I am disappointed.
                    3 out of 42..... but whose counting..... that's still only a 7% H265 reception rate.....

Of course the case can be made that these 42 video files are not representative of the actual norm because I could have some uncanny knack that just happens to make my eclectic taste for movies coincide with movies that are unavailable in H265..... although I doubt that.....

I did go to look at what StreamFab markets regarding the capabilities of their Netflix Downloader..... and they do in fact state that "Not all Netflix videos offer the H.265 version."..... although most rational people would interpret that as the exception to the norm..... not THE norm.....

I attached a screenshot of their marketing image..... I highlighted the referenced caveat in red.....

Click image for larger version

Name:	StreamFab Netflix Banner.png
Views:	393
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	430992

Comment

This is important to me as my computer only has a limited amount of disc space.
                      I also wanted to mention something which may be of interest to you.....

As we speak..... Costco is offering a Seagate 8TB Desktop Hard Drive with Rescue Data Recovery Services, Model: STLC8000600, Item: 8888300, Regular Costco Price $149.00..... Sale Price $119.00 until 09/29/2023.....

If you compare the regular price of $149.00 with Amazon..... it's still less money..... If you compare the sale price of $119.00..... it is a terrific price and I have never found anywhere that offers externals lower than Costco.....

As for reliability and durability..... I have been using Seagate externals for years..... and currently have six Seagate 8TB externals hooked up through a powered usb hub to the laptop I use as my media center..... The reason I like these particular Seagates is they all have their own individual power bricks so nothing is drawing from the laptop or the hub.....

In any case..... I thought I'd throw that out if you..... or anyone else for that matter..... may be interested..... 8TB holds a lot of video..... although remember..... an 8TB drive is actually only a little more than 7TB usable..... and a good rule of thumb is to never fill beyond 80%..... so you should figure on about 5.5TB to 5.75TB net usable space..... still a lot of space for a lot of videos.....

And remember..... everything I just said is my own personal experience..... and my own personal opinions..... You should always do your own research prior to making your final decisions on anything.
                      Last edited by weavermovies; 09-24-2023, 05:08 PM.

Comment

Wow man, thank you so much, you are really going above and beyond. That external disk drive does seem like a good deal, even if I prefer my computers to be able to be moved easily, as add-ons to laptops. I teach 3 classes at the University I attend, and I also take classes at the same University. So my data has to be accessible in both class and at housing. I usually put movies on a small thumb drive and play them in our entertainment center in housing, the TV is a 65" LG C2 OLED with a great sound system. Everyone in the house usually watches a movie on Friday night and it's my responsibility to provide something. I do my best. I consider downloading movies I like a fun hobby. To be honest I doubt whether I will watch any of them twice but if time allows I just may someday. All of you guys or gals are very helpful and I am very appreciative.

Comment

Originally posted by weavermovies View Post

Ask and you shall receive.....

"Heart Of Stone"
                          "The Gray Man"
                          "The Irishman"
                          So, like i said before, non-Netflix originals will not be in H265. I don't really have the time this weekend to check if they are Netflix movies but i can see the majority are NOT Netflix movies.

There is, however, an issue with these 3 movies. I know for a fact that they are Netflix movies and i have downloaded them before in H265.

Just fired up v6.1.4.4 and tried to download them. They are coming in as H265 HDR.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	1 Size:	142.1 KB ID:	431005

A few versions ago, i was getting NO H265 AT ALL on one of my downloading PCs while 2 others were getting H265 with the same titles.

I don't know if it was the fact that i had several x64 versions that had certain settings that only existed in newer versions but my troubleshooting mind told me that must be the issue. That's because the other 2 PCs had multiple versions but all very close to each other and didn't have missing settings.

I proceeded to uninstall all versions, deleted all DVDFab folders, and did a search and delete in the registry for all references to DVDFab (I only own StreamFab).

I then installed the latest version and i got H265 again in Netflix.

It didn't "fix" old stuff that should have H265 but it did "fix" the newer and ongoing stuff.

Maybe you guys can try that and see if that fixes your issues.

Any Netflix TV Show that hasn't ended and any Netflix movie should download in H265 HDR. H265 SDR seems to be completely broken and older TV Shows that have ended have no H265 at all.

Perfect example of a Netflix TV Show that doesn't have H265 but used to is the German language Dark (great show BTW). For Netflix movies, The Do-Over is from 2016 and it does download in H265 HDR so that is why i am saying all Netflix movies should in theory download in H265 but the majority of your list are not Netflix movies besides the 3 i quoted and You People.

So, again, if there is no red Netflix logo on the TV Show/Movie thumbnail, it will not have H265. This is "normal" behaviour.
                          Last edited by jpp72; 09-24-2023, 08:57 PM.

Comment

Yup, The Ishman is in HDR Atmos H265, So I guess its just Netflix not having many movies in HEVC anymore. I can live with it. I wish they had it all of their films.

Comment

Working...
                            X