Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Turing Half Speed Encoding 4K H265 since DVDFab 11.0.3.1. Why ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turing Half Speed Encoding 4K H265 since DVDFab 11.0.3.1. Why ?

Until the DVDFab version 11.0.2.9, a UHD BluRay (in this example Passengers 2016) was still converted at a speed of about 220 FPS with the Nvidia Turing Encoder NVENC. Since version 11.0.3.1, this speed has dropped dramatically, to about 120 FPS.

What happened here ? That was with a purchase reason for the Geforce GTX1660Ti. And even now with the RTX2060 Super. Just got this drastic FPS slump. But only since version 11.0.3.1.

The coding time has since DVDFab 11.0.3.1 doubled since then. At what price ? I can not see any benefit, since the picture quality is absolutely the same.

Why the whole, it ran fast and swiftly with the Turing NVENC, and now it runs just as slow as with my older GTX1060?!

Last edited by blasiusx; 07-14-2019, 07:20 AM.

The developers need your log files to help check the problem, please attach the dvdfab_internal log session that includes those from the old and the new version of DVDFab, fabcheck_internal log file is also needed.
    Please check my sig for log path. Thanks.

Comment

I put the log files in the Google Drive folder. The two files contain all the logs, from 2019-07-14 for both DVDFab versions 11.0.1.8 and 11.0.3.9.

But I think that the change in the B-frames support since version 11.0.1.9 is related to the fact that the speed has dropped so much. Can this be ?

As I said, I do not see any improvement in image quality. Could you not make the B-frame support optional, so that you could have maintained the speed advantage when encoding H265 with the Geforce Turing graphics cards?

Anyway, thank you.

Comment

Okay, the files have been passed to the developers for checking.

Comment

Okay, thank you very much.

Comment

Please give this a version and feedback:

Thanks.

Comment

I'll test it within the next few days. At the moment i'm very busy, Feedback I deliver. Thank you very much.

Comment

So, I coded again with the UHD Ripper in 4K H265 10 bit. No matter what attitude. Nothing has changed. The speed remains the same in this development version. So, no change regarding Nvidia's Turing NVENC encoder.

As already mentioned, up to DVDFab version 11.0.1.8 you can encode at approx. 200-220 fps, from version 11.0.1.9 until now only with approx. 110-120 FPS. Unfortunately no improvement. And as I said before, I do not see any difference in picture quality, not even in detail.

Comment

In my honest opinion you should count yourself lucky that your getting 110fps, I only get 45-50 ripping a movie and I have a RTX 2080 too.

Comment

Well, and next time I can be glad that I still have 50FPS, because others have only 25 FPS? Sorry, but that's not an argument for me. It goes much faster with the DVDFab 11.0.1.8, and since the 11.0.1.9 considerably slower. And if you get to the bottom of it, that would be positive for everyone. Maybe then you would benefit from it.

I hope for the developers.

Comment

Originally posted by blasiusx View Post
                      So, I coded again with the UHD Ripper in 4K H265 10 bit. No matter what attitude. Nothing has changed. The speed remains the same in this development version. So, no change regarding Nvidia's Turing NVENC encoder.

As already mentioned, up to DVDFab version 11.0.1.8 you can encode at approx. 200-220 fps, from version 11.0.1.9 until now only with approx. 110-120 FPS. Unfortunately no improvement. And as I said before, I do not see any difference in picture quality, not even in detail.
                      Please feedback with the latest log files, thanks.

Comment

I uploaded the new logfiles to the drive folder.

Please note from the time stamp 2019/07/24 14:01:23, this is the DVDFab developer version that was used to convert (11.0.3.9 dev). With several settings.

I've done an update to the version 11.0.4.0, now, and converted other movies, so there are other files after that in the Logs.

Thank you very much, Mona, for hard work.

Comment

I am on the fence about upgrading to an RTX SC 2070 or AMD <?> any advice - video card currently is 1070 GTX. I am concerned now about Turing support. Although I don't convert 4k Blu... I do convert h.264 Sony 4k camcorder files @ 100mbps.

Comment

Originally posted by blasiusx View Post
                            I uploaded the new logfiles to the drive folder.

Please note from the time stamp 2019/07/24 14:01:23, this is the DVDFab developer version that was used to convert (11.0.3.9 dev). With several settings.

I've done an update to the version 11.0.4.0, now, and converted other movies, so there are other files after that in the Logs.

Thank you very much, Mona, for hard work.
                            Please set it to copy audio or output to AAC audio, do NOT select any subtitle for the conversion to try again and see if the speed changes or not. Still, please feedback with the latest log file, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by AOD View Post
                              I am on the fence about upgrading to an RTX SC 2070 or AMD <?> any advice - video card currently is 1070 GTX. I am concerned now about Turing support. Although I don't convert 4k Blu... I do convert h.264 Sony 4k camcorder files @ 100mbps.
                              Why are you on the fence? Turing is much better than Pascal. Look at THIS thread and see for yourself. I performed real world tests between an EVGA GTX 1080 Ti and the EVGA RTX 2080 and from the test you can clearly see that the RTX 2080 is pulling in slightly faster if not the same speeds but look at the file sizes and see that they are considerably less in size than the GTX 1080 Ti. Much better compression with the RTX 2080, I can only imagine what the Super cards are like.

Comment

Working...
                              X