No announcement yet.

Ability to convert from uhd hdr to full hd sdr including colorspace mapping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feature Request Ability to convert from uhd hdr to full hd sdr including colorspace mapping

I tried converting a uhd file to full hd and the resulting colors a dull.
    It seems to me that the 10bit colors of hdr are remapped linearly to the 8bit colors of sdr, pushing most of the colors to lower values.
    It would need a non linear conversion where most of the colors are kept close to their original value and the higher values are compressed or trimmed as needed.
    It could be custom curve that can be edited.

Originally posted by spaceharfang View Post
    I tried converting a uhd file to full hd and the resulting colors a dull.
    It seems to me that the 10bit colors of hdr are remapped linearly to the 8bit colors of sdr, pushing most of the colors to lower values.
    It would need a non linear conversion where most of the colors are kept close to their original value and the higher values are compressed or trimmed as needed.
    It could be custom curve that can be edited.
    Please post relevant dvdfab_internal.log file and fabcheck_internal.log file. Thanks.

Comment

Here are the logs.
      Attached Files

Comment

Hi spaceharfang, I have passed the available info to the developers, we will run some tests.
        Meanwhile, please use mediainfo tool to analyze the source video and the resulted video and post the text results here.

Also, our developers want you to confirm whether you were trying to say:
        the 10bit->8bit function/feature is available in DVDFab, but it is not the correct 10bit -> 8bit hdr -> sdr color that you expect.

Comment

I'm not sure of the pattern that you are specifying.

I want a end file that is usable in a non hdr aware player, namely a 8bit bt709 file that looks good. Not the case right now. Like the Bluray HDR converter to Bluray does.

The current result is converted in 8bit without converting the colorspace and the colorspace flag is changed to bt709. It looks incorrectly washed out in every player.
          I tried another converter. Handbrake does the same 8bit conversion but maintain the bt2020 colorspace flag. The result looks the same in a non-hdr player, all washed out. A hdr aware player will display the colors correctly.

I don't know any use case for converting to 8 bit without converting the colorspace.

Comment

Originally posted by spaceharfang View Post
            I'm not sure of the pattern that you are specifying.

I want a end file that is usable in a non hdr aware player, namely a 8bit bt709 file that looks good. Not the case right now. Like the Bluray HDR converter to Bluray does.

The current result is converted in 8bit without converting the colorspace and the colorspace flag is changed to bt709. It looks incorrectly washed out in every player.
            I tried another converter. Handbrake does the same 8bit conversion but maintain the bt2020 colorspace flag. The result looks the same in a non-hdr player, all washed out. A hdr aware player will display the colors correctly.

I don't know any use case for converting to 8 bit without converting the colorspace.
            Hi,

1. Please use SDR profile, see image attached. Click image for larger version  Name:	profile.png Views:	1 Size:	297.1 KB ID:	370659

2. If still have problem, please send us the mediainfo result of the source file.
            Thanks.

Comment

Yes, that is what I was looking for.

Comment

Originally posted by Mona View Post

Hi,

1. Please use SDR profile, see image attached. Click image for larger version Name:	profile.png Views:	1 Size:	297.1 KB ID:	370659

2. If still have problem, please send us the mediainfo result of the source file.
                Thanks.
                Mona,

I to have tried the SDR profile and it does not convert the HDR colour space to the SDR colour space, the problem is as simple as that (although probably not simple to fix in DVDFab).

Ian

Comment

Originally posted by raven-au View Post

Mona,

I to have tried the SDR profile and it does not convert the HDR colour space to the SDR colour space, the problem is as simple as that (although probably not simple to fix in DVDFab).

Ian
                  Please post the latest dvdfab_internal.log file and the media info of the output file. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                  X