Convert UHD movie to fit 50GB disc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Convert UHD movie to fit 50GB disc

Ripped Avengers endgame to MKV, removed all foreign tracks. Output size 52.8GB. Ran through converter to try to shrink to fit on a 50GB disc. Any bit rate over about 78000 results in the task completing instantly with a 0 byte file. Any bit rate less than about 78000 results in a file less than 28.5GB. I'm using MKV H265 10bit. Single pass and two pass similar results. Why won't a 52.8GB file convert to anything greater than 28GB, when the original is h265, 10bit?
    Last edited by Yanta; 09-08-2019, 07:05 AM.

Originally posted by Yanta View Post
    Ripped Avengers endgame to MKV, removed all foreign tracks. Output size 52.8GB. Ran through converter to try to shrink to fit on a 50GB disc. Any bit rate over about 78000 results in the task completing instantly with a 0 byte file. Any bit rate less than about 78000 results in a file less than 28.5GB. I'm using MKV H265 10bit. Single pass and two pass similar results. Why won't a 52.8GB file convert to anything greater than 28GB, when the original is h265, 10bit?
    Please post your dvdfab_internal.log file and use Mediainfo tool to analyze the output mkv file and post the result here.
    We will test on our side at the same time, but your log and other files are also needed. Thanks.

Comment

As requested
      Attached Files

Comment

The log date is "DVDFab 10.2.1.7 (2019/08/04 14:33:54) (X64)".
        Are you using DVDFab 10 now? Please download the latest DVDFab 11 to try again and feedback with the latest log file. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Mona View Post
          The log date is "DVDFab 10.2.1.7 (2019/08/04 14:33:54) (X64)".
          Are you using DVDFab 10 now? Please download the latest DVDFab 11 to try again and feedback with the latest log file. Thank you.
          Yes, I have tried several dozens of times for a month to get this to work.

Yes I am using 10. 11 is unstable. If I upgrade my version 10 to 11 can I go back to v10 after the tests?

Comment

Originally posted by Yanta View Post

Yes I am using 10. 11 is unstable. If I upgrade my version 10 to 11 can I go back to v10 after the tests?
            Yes, you can go back to v10 after the test, and v11 coexists with v10 on the same computer.

Comment

Ok, I tried 11.0.4.3 and 11.0.4.8. The first one has the same problem as 10.2.1.7. 11.0.4.8 creates a file that fits. It took me 7 tries @ 1 hour each to get the bit rate right so that it fit the disk. There seems to be no consistency to what bit rate is right for the size. It certainly does not create a file of the size DVDFab says it will... not even close. DVDFab estimated a file size of 40GB @ 31750. The output was actually 46GB

I uninstalled 10.2.1.7, installed the new 11.0.4.3 and imaged the PC. Then uninstalled 11.0.4.3 and installed 11.0.4.8 and re-imaged the PC. So now when I am forced to use v11 I can restore my PC from the image with v11 on it, create the MKV and the restore my PC to v10. This way I never have two versions installed on my system at the same time. Hopefully I won't be forced to use v11 again until you get all the bugs sorted.

While I was testing I came across the following;

1. 11.0.4.8 stops responding for 20 seconds after selecting the file to open. If you click on the program it will crash. On one occasion it caused a BSOD.
              2. When clicking start I'm told there is no information for the movie. I tick 'Do not show this again' and click cancel (The other option I do not want to use). EVERY time I start a new job this window is displayed and I tick again 'Do not show...". DVDFab ignores the selection.
              3. Without being specific, the UI is getting worse with each new version. The main screen is now an advertising platform... really? Not good.
              4. When a file already exists I am asked replace or keep both. IIRC on v10 I could say remember my choice, but in v11 I can't. Doesn't matter, because in v10 the option doesn't work anyway, if I remember correctly.
              5. What is all the traffic DVDFab is sending? 11 different IPs addresses. I get that one might be an update check, but this data is virtually a continuous stream of outbound data according to wire shark

Comment

Edit.. doubled up... I uninstalled 10.2.1.7 and installed 11.0.4.8 and created the image so I have a image with v10 and an image with v11.

Comment

Working...
                X