Problems with Intel h265 QuickSync and Video Corruption

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problems with Intel h265 QuickSync and Video Corruption

After several attempts trying to rip the UK UHD release of 1917, I've come to the conclusion that the current version of DVDfab is broken when it comes to use the Quicksync h265 encoder, here's why:
    1. Try #1 - Used DVDfab MainMovie Copy to copy the uncompressed version of the film to disk then encoded with DVDfab rip module with h265 Quicksync enabled. Neither process produced any errors in the log, but the resulting video was corrupt and unplayable with lots of blocky colorful noise and jerky playback.
    2. Try #2 - Used MakeMKV to copy the uncompressed movie from the disk to an MKV container, then used DVDfab Converter (with the same settings) to compress the movie. Neither process produced any errors in the log, but the result video was corrupt and unplayable with lots of blocky colorful noise and jerky playback.
    3. Try #3 - Took the same MakeMKV file and used Handbrake with h265 Quicksync enabled to compress the movie. The compressed copy plays back perfectly.

The problem appears to be with how DVDfab is using QuickSync, not a problem with Quicksync part of the driver since Handbrake had no problems, but for the record here's the system information:

DVDfab - Latest version download yesterday (23/05/20)
    CPU Intel Core i7-7700 with HD 630 integrated graphics
    Intel Driver release 27.20.100.8190 release 05/05/2020
    Windows 10 64 bit (1903 release, patched up to date)

I had the same problem when i updated the graphics driver
    When i went back to driver version 26.20.100.7985 everything was ok
    You might want to give it a try
    Good Luck

Comment

Originally posted by mlipar View Post
      I had the same problem when i updated the graphics driver
      When i went back to driver version 26.20.100.7985 everything was ok
      You might want to give it a try
      Good Luck
      I could do that, but it's a DVDfab specific problem not a driver problem as Handbrake with h265-Quicksync works with this driver

Comment

Originally posted by Nik_Simpson View Post
        After several attempts trying to rip the UK UHD release of 1917, I've come to the conclusion that the current version of DVDfab is broken when it comes to use the Quicksync h265 encoder, here's why:
        1. Try #1 - Used DVDfab MainMovie Copy to copy the uncompressed version of the film to disk then encoded with DVDfab rip module with h265 Quicksync enabled. Neither process produced any errors in the log, but the resulting video was corrupt and unplayable with lots of blocky colorful noise and jerky playback.
        2. Try #2 - Used MakeMKV to copy the uncompressed movie from the disk to an MKV container, then used DVDfab Converter (with the same settings) to compress the movie. Neither process produced any errors in the log, but the result video was corrupt and unplayable with lots of blocky colorful noise and jerky playback.
        3. Try #3 - Took the same MakeMKV file and used Handbrake with h265 Quicksync enabled to compress the movie. The compressed copy plays back perfectly.

The problem appears to be with how DVDfab is using QuickSync, not a problem with Quicksync part of the driver since Handbrake had no problems, but for the record here's the system information:

DVDfab - Latest version download yesterday (23/05/20)
        CPU Intel Core i7-7700 with HD 630 integrated graphics
        Intel Driver release 27.20.100.8190 release 05/05/2020
        Windows 10 64 bit (1903 release, patched up to date)
        This problem hasn't gone away, and no one from DVDfab seems to have even noticed. As it stands, I have to use Handbrake to reencode videa because the out from DVDfab with Quicksync enabled is garbage. I would appreciate some feedback, or even recognition that there is a problem.

BTW I have updated to the latest version fo DVDfab and the problem is still there.

Comment

This problem hasn't gone away, and no one from DVDfab seems to have even noticed. As it stands, I have to use Handbrake to reencode videa because the out from DVDfab with Quicksync enabled is garbage. I would appreciate some feedback, or even recognition that there is a problem.

BTW I have updated to the latest version fo DVDfab and the problem is still there.
          try changing H.265 decoding to "Software" while leaving H.265 encoding as "CUDA" - https://forum.dvdfab.cn/forum/softwa...3-releases-ago

Comment

Originally posted by october262 View Post

try changing H.265 decoding to "Software" while leaving H.265 encoding as "CUDA" - https://forum.dvdfab.cn/forum/softwa...3-releases-ago
            That seems to be related to a NVIDIA/CUDA problem from several releases ago (2018) this is with Intel QuickSync and only occured when I updated by Intel Graphics driver to the latest release (for other reasons) in early May. The problem is not with the Intel Driver as I'm able to use QucikSync encoding with Handbrake

Comment

That seems to be related to a NVIDIA/CUDA problem from several releases ago (2018) this is with Intel QuickSync and only occured when I updated by Intel Graphics driver to the latest release (for other reasons) in early May. The problem is not with the Intel Driver as I'm able to use QucikSync encoding with Handbrake
              have you tried doing a clean uninstall / reinstall of dvdfab ??

Comment

Same here, clean install
                .) Windows 1909,
                .) DvdFab 11.0.9.7
                .) Intel 27.20.100.8280,

mkv is jerky and not playable

Comment

Originally posted by proper88 View Post
                  Same here, clean install
                  .) Windows 1909,
                  .) DvdFab 11.0.9.7
                  .) Intel 27.20.100.8280,

mkv is jerky and not playable
                  Please refer to this post to send us the log file and paste your feedback ID here, thanks: DVDFab Forum - Log Files Help Our Developers Troubleshoot Your Problems Quickly

Comment

I'm also having issues making a backup MKV version of this disk. It has failed multiple times. Logs are attached

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by AutomationNut View Post
                      I'm also having issues making a backup MKV version of this disk. It has failed multiple times. Logs are attached
                      Please update to v11.0.9.9 to convert the movie to MKV passthrough again and see the result.

Comment

Working...
                      X