Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the skinny on ripping UHD to ISO, or playback?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's the skinny on ripping UHD to ISO, or playback?

Hi all,

I've been ripping non-4K discs for years and stayed away from 4K mainly because when it launched, building a PC that could play back 4K was near impossible.

I just built a Z490 / Core i9 / GTX 1660 system that I think can play back but here is what I'm looking for clarification on :
    • Is it still the case that you can only playback discs with Intel Graphics or is there a way to allow playback with NVIDIA?
    • If I get a WH16NS60, is the downgrading of firmware necessary for just ripping of discs? I am guessing after I do that, I can't playback from that drive?
    • Given the limitations, it seems like it is better to rip UHD to transcoded files rather than ISO? This probably also saves on storage space?

Any other pointers would be great.

more info can be found here - https://www.dvdfab.cn/uhd-copy.htm

Comment

Originally posted by muzicman82 View Post
      Hi all,

I've been ripping non-4K discs for years and stayed away from 4K mainly because when it launched, building a PC that could play back 4K was near impossible.

I just built a Z490 / Core i9 / GTX 1660 system that I think can play back but here is what I'm looking for clarification on :
      • Is it still the case that you can only playback discs with Intel Graphics or is there a way to allow playback with NVIDIA?
      • If I get a WH16NS60, is the downgrading of firmware necessary for just ripping of discs? I am guessing after I do that, I can't playback from that drive?
      • Given the limitations, it seems like it is better to rip UHD to transcoded files rather than ISO? This probably also saves on storage space?

Any other pointers would be great.
      For ripping UHD to ISO or for playback, NVIDIA GTX 1660 works.
      Normally the newly purchased WH16NS60 are embedded with the latest fw, you will need to downgrade it using the UHD Drive Tool to make it a compatible one, you can then copy or playback the discs from that drive. DVDFab Player can playback UHD disc/ISO.
      UHD ISO file is rather big, to save more files while having a limited storage space, it is better to transcode files.

Comment

Working...
      X