Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dolby Vision/Atmos mp4 TV Default profile - Got DV and DA but no actual audio?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UHD Ripper Dolby Vision/Atmos mp4 TV Default profile - Got DV and DA but no actual audio?

I tried the DV mp4 default profile as well as others to see if you implemented the new DV/DA standard as they are now open to MKV. I saw the new TV profile that I requested sometime back, Thanks for that!

So I tried it and used every combination to see what would and wouldnt work. My standard profile is h265, non web, single stream, copy audio. That did not work. So I tried other combos to include the M2ts to which all failed to do DV.

Two combos worked and media info confirms DV/DA in the files using : 1. MP4 Default, Web, Single, and copy audio 2. MP4 Default, H265 (unchecked copy video), web, single and copy audio. By changing any other setting would have negative results for DV only.

Both show up with the same info using the Media Info app and in the emby app for the Nvidia Shield Pro TV. Upon playing the movies, they start as expected and DV is activated. However there is no audio at all with those encoding options mentioned. I use the EMBY app for the Nvidia Shield Pro TV which supports DV/DA and works with other streamed DV/DA files as well as local DA files. All software is up to date on the Nvidia as well as the EMBY app. Using the stats it shows direct play for the entire file to include the DA, yet there is no audio? Lastly the Nvidia will not use vob subs without transcoding to h264 and thus defeats the DV. It will play pgs with not issue.

So is this a bug in the UHD app or possibly some compatibilty issue in the hardware even though the Nvidia thinks its playing fine?

Thanks for the input as well as the hard work!
    Last edited by Blumamba; 03-02-2021, 08:29 PM.

It shows only 2.0 pcm on receiver while the info shows DA on the emby app and the mediainfo app. No DA audio nor any type of audio output.

DV works fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Blumamba View Post
      I tried the DV mp4 default profile as well as others to see if you implemented the new DV/DA standard as they are now open to MKV. I saw the new TV profile that I requested sometime back, Thanks for that!
      What do you mean by DA?
      I'm assuming you mean those High Definition audio tracks you get out of these encodes.

Both show up with the same info using the Media Info app and in the emby app for the Nvidia Shield Pro TV. Upon playing the movies, they start as expected and DV is activated. However there is no audio at all with those encoding options mentioned. I use the EMBY app for the Nvidia Shield Pro TV which supports DV/DA and works with other streamed DV/DA files as well as local DA files. All software is up to date on the Nvidia as well as the EMBY app. Using the stats it shows direct play for the entire file to include the DA, yet there is no audio? Lastly the Nvidia will not use vob subs without transcoding to h264 and thus defeats the DV. It will play pgs with not issue.

So is this a bug in the UHD app or possibly some compatibilty issue in the hardware even though the Nvidia thinks its playing fine?
      No it's not a bug in the DVDFab and I doubt there an issue with the NVIDIA hardware.

Emby does not understand the HD audio tracks in the MP4s produced by these profiles.
      When I asked the Emby folks about not getting audio on these they said support for these audio tracks in an mp4 container is not well defined and so is not supported.

Plex knows how to play them (and it might be the only player that does).

What is really needed is similar Dolby Vision profiles for mkv since both Emby and Plex understand and play those.

Ian

Comment

Your also mistaken about the profile.

Those TV Dolby Vision profiles, IIRC, produce Dolby Vision mp4's with ac3 audio.

The aARC Dolby Vision profiles will place the HD audio in the encode but they do not produce a Dolby Vision video track.
        I believe that's because Dolby Vision output is disabled in the profile, somewhere in the profile XML you will see <dolby_vison enable="0" ...>.
        I saved the profile and changed that enable="0" to enable="1" and I get Dolby Vision and HD audio just fine but I actually removed what was between the enable="0" and the enclosing >, I haven't tried leaving the extra XML options in place.
        So, if this eARC profile is supposed to produce Dolby Vision then it needs to be changed by DVDFab to do so.

Also the eARC profile label is misleading because most TV's, including eARC capable ones, will not pass through HD audio from applications on the TV so you end up with it either being transcoded by the media server or stereo if it doesn't understand the audio.

AFAIK TV applications will only pass through EAC3 Atmos based audio because the TV needs to do that for streaming apps on the TV

OTOH if your play back device is connected directly to an HD audio capable soundbar or receiver or to an eARC enabled TV (paired with an eARC enabled soundbar or receiver) then whatever HD audio you send will be either handled by the audio device or passed through in the later case since the TV needs to do that for things like Blu-ray players.

Ian
        Last edited by raven-au; 03-21-2021, 01:11 AM.

Comment

As originally stated:

It shows only 2.0 pcm on receiver while the info shows DA on the emby app and the mediainfo app. No DA audio nor any type of audio output. DV works on the default MP4 profile.

DA = Dolby Atmos
          DV = Dolby Vision

I have yet to get it to work with the shield pro tv which EMBY states will work in MP4/MKV as the shield handles the DV/DA.

https://emby.media/community/index.p...-dolby-vision/

As of now, same results listed above.

Update: EMBY is rolling out the updates soon to "fix" this.
          Last edited by Blumamba; 03-22-2021, 04:31 PM.

Comment

As originally stated:

It shows only 2.0 pcm on receiver while the info shows DA on the emby app and the mediainfo app. No DA audio nor any type of audio output. DV works on the default MP4 profile.
            Emby will not pass through unknown audio which is what those HD audio tracks are as far as it knows when contained in an MP4.

I have yet to get it to work with the shield pro tv which EMBY states will work in MP4/MKV as the shield handles the DV/DA.
            It's the same with the Shield TV, Emby doesn't understand the HD audio tracks when they are contained in MP4.

If you can convert the video to an mkv that will work with Emby, both Dolby Vision and HD audio.
            Unfortunately it can't be done.
            One way that people claim works to convert DV videos to mkv is to use tsMuxer to create an ISO and then use MakeMKV to convert it to an mkv, then extract the audio track and use MKVtoolNix to mux it together, but tsMuxer gets (at least) the DV flags wrong so it looks ok at first glance but it isn't.

[QUOTEhttps://emby.media/community/index.p...-dolby-vision/[/QUOTE]

Your primarily talking about being able to play Dolby Vision in this, that does work.
            You may need the beta client, I'm not sure because I have been inadvertently using the Emby beta client for ages.

You must know that it isn't possible to pass through that HD audio using the TV app even if your TV supports eARC, that's down to the TV manufactures (Sony in our case) deliberately not doing it and only allowing at best DD+ Atmos from streaming apps.

As of now, same results listed above.

Update: EMBY is rolling out the updates soon to "fix" this.
            I wouldn't hold my breath, I suspect the best you will get is Dolby Digital 5.1 instead of TrueHD Atmos.

Only Plex will play the HD audio contained in MP4s but not via the TV app, only the Shield will play these.

Ian

Comment

You may also find people saying that MKVtoolNix retains the Dolby Vision when muxing into an mkv.
              While that's true it will only retain the DV if the input file is itself an mkv, mp4, .m2ts (and I assume .ts) inputs do not retain the DV video.

Comment

DA DOES work with mp4 as long as you dont have DV, or it will do DV and no atmos currently with the emby app.

Emby folks are working on it. It apparently works in there beta and according to what I have been reading works now. So when the official release is out I will try it again.

The shield does to both DA/DV as I have both working through hdmi to my denon receiver then to my Sony 950H (one 8k hdmi cable to rule them all) using the emby app as well as the other apps (netflix, disney etc).

Comment

DA DOES work with mp4 as long as you dont have DV, or it will do DV and no atmos currently with the emby app.
                  I don't currently have any mp4's that have DA and are not DV so I can't check it.

Emby folks are working on it. It apparently works in there beta and according to what I have been reading works now. So when the official release is out I will try it again.
                  With Emby beta 2.0.02g, if you have DV (regardless of whether the display device supports it or not) you get plain Dolby Digital for a TrueHD Atmos track and plain DTS if you have a DTS-HD MA track in your mp4.

I looked at playback for the Atoms movies and the server says it's direct playing and the Emby client app "Stats for nerds" says it's direct playing TrueHD but only Dolby Digital is sent to the receiver.

This is playing from a Shield 2017 to a Denon receiver that is capable of all the HD audio variants.
                  Last edited by raven-au; 04-02-2021, 01:35 AM.

Comment

As I said, my Shield TV Pro 2019 DOES play mp4 with DA and is confirmed by STATS (which does not state "atmos" only true hd 7.1, you have to use receiver to confirm "atmos" signal) as well as the DENON receiver. So I am not sure what your issue is, but I get the full ATMOS track or I only get the Dolby Vision, but not both at the same time.

Dolby Vision will play with only Core Dolby in MP4.

Dolby Atmos will play in HDR but NOT Dolby Vision in MP4.

I have tested this everyway to sunday. Mediainfo confirmed my test files have both DV/DA. Yet upon playing those files I only get the DV and core DD.

As I said the folks at Emby are aware and are working on it. According to their beta testing reports the issue was fixed and will be released in the next stable release.

Comment

As I said, my Shield TV Pro 2019 DOES play mp4 with DA and is confirmed by STATS (which does not state "atmos" only true hd 7.1, you have to use receiver to confirm "atmos" signal) as well as the DENON receiver. So I am not sure what your issue is, but I get the full ATMOS track or I only get the Dolby Vision, but not both at the same time.

Dolby Vision will play with only Core Dolby in MP4.

Dolby Atmos will play in HDR but NOT Dolby Vision in MP4.

I have tested this everyway to sunday. Mediainfo confirmed my test files have both DV/DA. Yet upon playing those files I only get the DV and core DD.

As I said the folks at Emby are aware and are working on it. According to their beta testing reports the issue was fixed and will be released in the next stable release.
                      You've pretty much described what I'm saying, that when playing an mp4 that has DV the Emby client won't pass through the HD audio.
                      The only thing that might be different is that if the mp4 has DV and is played on a TV that doesn't support DV (you get HDR) you also don't get the HD audio.
                      I also said that I can't check mp4 HDR movies because all my other HDR movies are mkvs, so I simply don't know what happens with them.

I'm still waiting for the Emby beta to play these, it still doesn't as of a couple of days ago.

My real problem is that I can't find any satisfactory way to convert these mp4s to mkvs which I believe work ok with the Emby client, so I'd very much like to see an equivalent Dolby Vision profile in DVDFab that creates mkvs as well as the existing mp4 DV profile.

Comment

The updates to that profile has major issues with the color changes, you can see reds, greens, and blues all over the screen. I think the regular hdr is just as good at this point. So I gave up on the DV.

Comment

Working...
                        X