Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HL-ST-DT BU40N FR07 not working with UHD

I want to report the following.

I've got recently a HL-DT-ST BU40N with firmware FR07 from TECHPULSE120 (a German OEM) and accordingly to your guide I thought that worked with DVDFab out of the box.

Instead it doesn't work at all I got tons of errors and it doesn't read the keys.

A DVDFab log is attached as long as a UHD Drive Tool log.

I noticed also a curious thing while opening it with MakeMKV which may lead us to the troof

Drive Information
    OS device name: D:
    Current profile: BD-ROM
    Manufacturer: HL-DT-ST
    Product: BD-RE BU40N
    Revision: FR07
    Serial number: XXXXXXXXXXX
    Firmware date: 2119-05-10 13:48
    Bus encryption flags: 1F
    Highest AACS version: 76

LibreDrive Information
    Drive platform: MT1959

The surprise is the firmware date which isn't 2118-01-22 15:36 as expected.

Any clue?

For the records I am using another HL-DT-ST BU40N 1.04 downgraded to 1.00 and it works flawlessly.
    Attached Files

does the drive stop reading the UHD disc ??
    have you tried ejecting the disc and reloading ?
    also try rebooting your computer if you have not done so yet.
    Last edited by october262; 07-10-2021, 09:52 PM.

Comment

Found this...
      The v1.00 is also very good firmware to use with this drive. Version 1.00 supports DVDfab which is a bonus.

I have tested both versions 1.03mk and v1.00 with MakeMKV.

I find v1.03MK LibreDrive to be slightly faster, but see no reason in changing if you have version 1.00 installed and you are not having any problems.
      Also found this about that drive...
      BU40N on any Firmware directly to > BU40N 1.03MK
      You have the wrong firmware loaded to the drive. Like you said HL-DT-ST BU40N needs firmware 1.00 for it to work with DVDFab. FR07 is the wrong firmware.

Comment

Just a heads up; I've had that model drive BU40N and two other slim drives and all three of them had massive loads of errors. One of them was the Archegon drive and it's one of the recommended drives and it couldn't even read any of my Game of Thrones discs and a lot of others as well. Come to find out, none of the slim drives officially support triple layered UHD discs with the low number firmwares. So now I have the WH16NS60 which is a full size drive with the Vantec NST-536S3-BK enclosure for it and it's worked flawlessly once I got a good drive. The first one I bought was a bad drive so I sent it back and got a replacement and it's all good now. My advice is to get you a full sized drive and be gone with the headache from the slim drives. Just my 2 cents worth.

Comment

Originally posted by AcIDc0r3 View Post
          Found this...

Also found this about that drive...

You have the wrong firmware loaded to the drive. Like you said HL-DT-ST BU40N needs firmware 1.00 for it to work with DVDFab. FR07 is the wrong firmware.
          I know the full MakeMKV guide to UHD in fact I am using firmware 1.00 with another BU40N drive but the point is that DVDFab claims that it can read UHD discs using some official supported firmwares and FR07 is among them, just check their guide, so in theory it should work but it doesn't work... why? I am wondering... my FR07 seems to be new... the firmware timestamp is different...

DVDFab already warns you if you are using a wrong firmware... it even recognizes some MK patched firmwares but no warning for my original FR07... why?

Comment

Originally posted by october262 View Post
            does the drive stop reading the UHD disc ??
            have you tried ejecting the disc and reloading ?
            also try rebooting your computer if you have not done so yet.
            I have also tried ejecting and reloading the disc, rebooting Windows

Comment

Originally posted by fiod3s View Post

I have also tried ejecting and reloading the disc, rebooting Windows
              does the drive not read any UHD discs at all or just certain ones ??
              have you tried cleaning the disc. do DVDs & Blue-Rays work ok ?

Comment

Originally posted by october262 View Post

does the drive not read any UHD discs at all or just certain ones ??
                have you tried cleaning the disc. do DVDs & Blue-Rays work ok ?
                It doesn't read any UHD discs... DVD and regular BD works fine... only UHD are affected

Comment

Despite what DVDFab claims, there listed firmware version is wrong, the correct firmware that you need for that drive is 1.00. I know because I've had that drive before.

Comment

a guy from customer support claims it should work with FR07 but clearly it doesn't... I tried also the new DVDFab 12.0.4.0... log attached
                    Attached Files

Comment

a guy from customer support claims it should work with FR07 but clearly it doesn't... I tried also the new DVDFab 12.0.4.0... log attached
                      It failed to read the file, please restart your computer to try again. If it still failed, please use Imgburn to create a Piso file, and then use DVDFab to load that Piso file to try again.

Comment

Originally posted by Mona View Post

It failed to read the file, please restart your computer to try again. If it still failed, please use Imgburn to create a Piso file, and then use DVDFab to load that Piso file to try again.
                        restarting computer has no effect... so I tried ImgBurn... ImgBurn succeeded in making a .iso file but DVDFab says it doesn't support this device... However thanks to ImgBurn I confirmed that this FR07 is actually a new version in fact ImgBurn reports FR07-02 so I guess this is the problem... maybe DVDFab supports the first release of FR-07 but not this one

Comment

restarting computer has no effect... so I tried ImgBurn... ImgBurn succeeded in making a .iso file but DVDFab says it doesn't support this device... However thanks to ImgBurn I confirmed that this FR07 is actually a new version in fact ImgBurn reports FR07-02 so I guess this is the problem... maybe DVDFab supports the first release of FR-07 but not this one
                          Please give us the link to the site that you purchased the drive, thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Mona View Post

Please give us the link to the site that you purchased the drive, thank you.

Comment

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X