Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Computer - Help With New Optical Burner For 4K UHD

Hi all.
    I'm having a new computer built centered around the Intel Raptor Lake 13900K CPU with Windows 11 64-Bit Home.
    What new 4K UHD, optical burner/drive can I buy to use the 4K Fab burner/Ripper software?

You will need to purchase the correct UHD drive and modify the firmware, currently purchased drives will not rip UHD discs. You need to downgrade the firmware using DVDfab's UHD Drive Tool, or use methods as posted on the MakeMKV forum. UHD Drive Tool costs money, the MakeMKV methods are free, but if you use the MakeMKV method most of the time the drive will not work with DVDfab apps.

If you plan on using DVDfab apps then I suggest that you only use the UHD Drive Tool to downgrade the firmware. You can purchase a modified drive from a lot of private sellers and on Ebay that have the FW downgrade already done, a lot of the sellers use the MakeMKV method, thus the drives may not work with DVDfab products. The premium price from these sellers almost equates with you buying a drive from Amazon, pay for the UHD Drive Tool cost, and get the proper UHD drive that reads/rips properly with DVDfab products.

Read this link, list of UHD "capable" drives at the end.....

DVDFab UHD Drive Tool allows users to downgrade the unfriendly firmware on a UHD drive to make it ready for UHD Blu-ray backup.

I have the .........

Ausu BW-16D1HT, 2 of them

LG WH16NS60

Archgon MD-8107S-U3-UHD BU40N (LG drive)

All available on Amazon, remember you need to downgrade the FW, it is extremely easy to do so with UHD Drive Tool, sort of complicated using the MakeMKV method.

"My" opinion is the Asus BW-16D1HT, with 3.0 of 3.1 FW supplied by the UHD Drive Tool is the best. Those drives read/rip complex 3 layer discs with ease while the LG's do struggle more, more read errors..

We all know about the pandemic component shortages thus drives from a year or two ago my not be the same or work the same as current drives. My Asus drives where produced in 2020 and 2021, both my LG's where made in 2022.

Good luck with your quest..........

Comment

Originally posted by fussybob View Post
      You will need to purchase the correct UHD drive and modify the firmware, currently purchased drives will not rip UHD discs. You need to downgrade the firmware using DVDfab's UHD Drive Tool, or use methods as posted on the MakeMKV forum. UHD Drive Tool costs money, the MakeMKV methods are free, but if you use the MakeMKV method most of the time the drive will not work with DVDfab apps.

If you plan on using DVDfab apps then I suggest that you only use the UHD Drive Tool to downgrade the firmware. You can purchase a modified drive from a lot of private sellers and on Ebay that have the FW downgrade already done, a lot of the sellers use the MakeMKV method, thus the drives may not work with DVDfab products. The premium price from these sellers almost equates with you buying a drive from Amazon, pay for the UHD Drive Tool cost, and get the proper UHD drive that reads/rips properly with DVDfab products.

Read this link, list of UHD "capable" drives at the end.....

DVDFab UHD Drive Tool allows users to downgrade the unfriendly firmware on a UHD drive to make it ready for UHD Blu-ray backup.

I have the .........

Ausu BW-16D1HT, 2 of them

LG WH16NS60

Archgon MD-8107S-U3-UHD BU40N (LG drive)

All available on Amazon, remember you need to downgrade the FW, it is extremely easy to do so with UHD Drive Tool, sort of complicated using the MakeMKV method.

"My" opinion is the Asus BW-16D1HT, with 3.0 of 3.1 FW supplied by the UHD Drive Tool is the best. Those drives read/rip complex 3 layer discs with ease while the LG's do struggle more, more read errors..

We all know about the pandemic component shortages thus drives from a year or two ago my not be the same or work the same as current drives. My Asus drives where produced in 2020 and 2021, both my LG's where made in 2022.

Good luck with your quest..........
      THANK YOU very much! That covers everything that I had in mind.

Comment

Working...
      X