Best drive for UHD discs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best drive for UHD discs?

What's the best drive for UHD and where to get it?
    1. Needs to work with both dvdfab and makemkv
    2. Needs to rip both BD and UHD
    3. Prefer internal drive.

THanks​

Originally posted by eightysix View Post
    What's the best drive for UHD and where to get it?
    1. Needs to work with both dvdfab and makemkv
    2. Needs to rip both BD and UHD
    3. Prefer internal drive.

THanks​
    see here - https://www.dvdfab.cn/manual/uhd-cop...ted-uhd-drives

Comment

Thanks. Anyone know where to get these drives?

Comment

I have and use an internal "LG WH16NS60 (SVC Code:NS60, Firmware:1.00). I bought it on Amazon.
        It came with firmware that prevented ripping 4k discs so I used the drive tool to back the firmware to version 1.00.
        It has worked perfectly for me. However, these have become very hard to find and as a result, way overpriced.

I also have a LG WH16NS40 with SVC Code:NS50, which I bought as a backup drive. It also came from Amazon.
        The UHD Drive Tool sees this as "UHD Friendly" and installed firmware 1.02 in it to enable 4k processing.
        I have done some testing of it and it seems to work just fine. Then I pulled it from my tower computer for storage.

Lastly I stumbled across a brand new LG BH16NS40 internal drive with SVC Code:NS50 on the Mercari auction site and got it for a very low price.
        It is a full retail package drive and seems to be basically the same drive as the WH16NS40. It came with firmware 1.02 and works fine with 4k material.

If you consider trying out a LG drive indicated as 4k friendly, make sure it has SVC Code:NS50.

Lastly, pay close attention to what firmware you install and where you get it from.
        My equipment described above works perfectly fine with DVDFab products.
        Makemkv advocates their firmware that implements "Libre Mode". I do not believe DVDFab software is compatible with drives using Makemkv's "Libre Mode" firmware.
        Recent LG implemented firmware installs encrypted firmware on their drives making it sometimes problematic for folks to change the firmware. From my experience with my drives, DVDFab's Drive Tool deals with encrypted firmware successfully.
        Last edited by Rich86; 07-16-2023, 09:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X