No audio when converting UHD to Blu Ray

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CaptainK View Post
    I assumed the above mentioned m2ts was the video, so I copied it to a USB drive.

The blu-ray player (Panasonic DMP-BD60). Yes, it’s older. It has a USB port, but when I inserted it, it said it was incompatible. It’s probably because all the USB drives I own, that are larger, are 3.0. I’ve got smaller 2.0 drives, but none big enough to hold the file. Just figures….

The blu-ray player also has an SD card slot. But, it can only handle FAT32 format. Of course, the file is too large for the card. It won't accept eFAT or NTFS formats.

The 4k player recognized the drive, and the video played, but there was no audio. I checked the “options” on the player and it showed the TrueHD Audio, but none of the others.

The 4k tv (Roku tv) played through the USB port, but the only option for audio was the track that had the narration on it.

When I use Media Player, that m2ts will only play the narration audio track or the director audio. There is no other audio.

It’s only on the VLC player, do I hear the audio from the actual movie. What is it about the VLC player that allows me to hear the audio, but not with any other players?

I even tried PowerDirector 17. I could see the video, but there was no audio.
    does VLC media player tell you what audio track is playing when you play the iso file ??

Comment

blu-ray.com indicates that the main audio track is Dolby Atmos. Does your TV support Dolby Atmos and/or Dolby TrueHD 7.1?
      If you don't know, tell me the make and model number of your TV & I will try to look it up.
      Last edited by Rich86; 08-23-2023, 02:27 AM.

Comment

october, it says it's track 1.

Rich86, it's the TCL 65 R 617.

Comment

When I looked at the Logan movie ISO, and played it on the VLC player, it played the Track 1 and Track 2 just fine. Track 3 was the narration audio. Track 4 was the director talking about the movie.

Above, I had mentioned that when I burned the ISO to disc, played it in the 4k player, Track 1 was silent. But, Track 2 worked.

Interestingly, in the VLC player, both Track 1 and 2 worked.

I'm so confused.

Comment

And in the Logan ISO, Track 1 is TrueHD audio, and Track 2 is DTS

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainK View Post
              And in the Logan ISO, Track 1 is TrueHD audio, and Track 2 is DTS
              look in your 4K players settings and see if you any options for TrueHD audio.
              what model 4K player do you have ??

Comment

Bingo!

It's an LG UP870. I checked the settings for the audio. It had Auto, PCM and DTS-Re-Encode. The unit was set for Auto. So, I moved it to PCM, then played the Sonic 2 disc. It worked!

Then, I moved it to DTS-Re-Encode, played the disc, and it also worked!

For some reason, having it set to Auto didn't allow the audio to come through.

I tried it with the Logan disc. Both 1 ENG and 1 ENG audio channels worked, as well.

You have solved the mystery! Thanks for being persistent with this. Plus, between you and Rich86, I learned a bunch of stuff.

Thanks again!

Comment

Looking at the specs for your player & TV, you should be able to handle lossless audio (DTS HDMaster and Dolby TrueHD).
                  Are you set up to provide audio to your TV via the HDMI cable or via an optical digital cable? You cannot stream Dolby TrueHD or DTS Master audio via optical as it cannot handle it.
                  If you want to experiment with this, you have to make sure both the player and tv are looking for audio via the hdmi cable connection.
                  Then it looks like you can set the player to "auto" audio output and it should send the Dolby TrueHD audio signal to the TV via the HDMI cable.
                  Please be aware that I am saying this based on looking at the operating manuals for your devices on-line with no way to test it myself, so no guarantees.

Comment

Rich, yes, the units are connected with HDMI cable. I don't use the optical connection.

Also, because of this new discovery, I looked into the settings of the audio on the Blu-Ray player, and changed those. Now, it also plays the disc with audio. Thanks again for the help.

Comment

Working...
                    X