X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• signals
    replied
    All,
    This old thread has information that is dated and will be closed. If you have a question about naming or a problem, please start a new thread in the DMS forum, thanks.

Leave a comment:

• signals
    replied
    The drive may not have been formatted or partitioned correctly for the DMS to recognize it. As to the naming, the scraper works pretty well if the name and year of the title match what is in the database. Double check that.

Remove the drive from the DMS and connect it to a pc, see if the movies will play on that configuration. You really should have started a new thread instead of posting in this old unrelated one. Do that next time.

Leave a comment:

• briana
    replied
    Also note that the movie server only reports the hard drive size as 1024mb when it is actually a 8Tb
    This is not helpful! Movie is named correctly. The movie server sees the files shows the cover art and the movie synopsis but the movie won’t play.

do you have any other information rather than naming?

Leave a comment:

• briana
    replied
    Hello,

Having an issue with movie server not playing the videos. Everything is current and movie server sees the files, shows the cover art, disk information and movie synopsis, year and cast information. But it won’t play them just returns an error trying to play message.
    I have Tried ISO, MKV and TS files without any success.

Leave a comment:

• Movie Man
    replied
    Hello DMS Team, I have updated again to the version 2.0.2.1. Many of my previous Cover art changed. Not only did it change the cover art but also renamed of the movies. I have read the how to name the files and folders and still it cannot identify correctly. Also any move that I have that is 2 disc or more will only place the cover art work on the 1st disc. This started recently. Please provide the Covert art info for the Band of Brothers (2001), The Pacific (2013). I have all the original covert art for all my movies and I have tried several time to add it the the local DMS Media Server. Some update some do not. For example, The Pacific (2013) renamed the movie and cover art to "Lost in the Pacific", then it renamed it to "War Dogs of the Pacific" completely different movies and names. I have tried to manually update the cover art locally but no luck. Please resolve these constant re-occurring issues.
    Thanks
    Last edited by Movie Man; 07-11-2020, 07:04 PM.

Leave a comment:

• TRJ
    replied
    tbrown25 -Thank you for checking on this. I'm going nuts as a newbie to this MS, since I've been following a sticky post (that I assume is correct and stuck as important) that explains how to do it and yet it doesn't work - so it's been driving me crazy. So Far I've tried 3 DVD discs and one bluray disc and so far no luck. I was going to attempt a third show today just to see, but I don't have much hope.

I've noted that Kodi, and other systems do use similar naming convention allowances or nfo files with episode data. Here, neither seems to work currently that I've been able to identify, at least under the latest firmwares. Given that Movies and TV shows are the core of it's life (at least for me), I hope they address this sooner than later. Even a shorter term solution of just recognizing naming conventions (and later implementing the nfo file XML recognition) would be helpful.

FYI...the following is a nice technical syntex discussion from Kodi that could be helpful
    https://kodi.wiki/view/Naming_video_files/TV_shows (See Section 6.4)

So we know the initial episode scrape appears to be working ok. It seems the additional scrapes are not occurring. If the naming conventions of 6.4 worked here, I could address not only consecutive episodes, but ones that are out of order (if this occurs). I recognize that multi-episodes are not considered "best practice", but for those of us who purchased the MS, based on using ISO's, and the fact that it appears the MS used to do this, and it is something other servers do, I hope it's something that can be resolved soon.
    Last edited by TRJ; 01-19-2020, 07:02 PM.

Leave a comment:

• tbrown25
    replied
    Since no one was sure how this works anymore, I went ahead and did a test run, transferring a 3 episode disk as a single iso file.

Under firmware 2013, this results in a single episode level poster labelled EPISODE 1.

Guess I was taken by surprise as the last time I did this, I got multiple episode level posters. But, that was several versions of firmware back and as firmware changes, so does the system.

Leave a comment:

• TRJ
    replied
    Signals - thank you for the feedback. Note the example we been discussing just happens to be the first one I started with - most others of mine are likely consecutive but my first 2 tests on one that is still doesn't seem to work. Here is my dilemma.

I have somewhere between 300-500 original season discs for CSI, CSI Miami, CSI NY, CSI Cyber, NCIS, NCIS LA, NCIS New Orleans, Hawaii 5-0, Arrow, Flash, Agents of Shield, Supergirl, Walking Dead, Fear the Walking Dead, Airwolf, Bones, McGyver, Terminator Chronicles, Jessica Jones, Daredevil, Shannarah Chronicles, Resurrection, Games of Throne, Jack Ryan, Westworld, just to name a few just off the top of my head (I have many, many more not listed - and yes - all are original). I am looking to keep ISO's a) in order to keep all the extras with the discs, b) it simpler process to just rip the ISO especially dealing with this volume of shows, and c) Trying to rip/match, confirm literally thousands of episodes, only to loose menus, and extras - doesn't make sense when ISO appear play ok in themselves, d) keeping ISO ensures a single starting point closest to the original should software or other things change later and not having to start over (i.e. future software works better for menus, etc), e) user friendliness with sufficient customization generally leads to less maintenance down the line and f) I have a very large family of 7 and am trying to make is easier to access all these via the media server instead of by discs.

So for sake of getting the basic premise working for starters let's assume most shows will be consecutive (I understand there will be some issues with some out of order and also pilots, etc. causing some issues here/there).

Other posters have suggested that the using the labeling convention has or does give them the clips for the list based on the naming convention (i.e. 4 episodes on disk, naming convention given for 4 episodes, and therefore 4 clips are shown), however I've only seen one so far with each try. To be sure we are talking about the same thing, by clips - I mean the list of episodes show at the bottom of the example shown in the attachment provided for clarity. From reviewing other posts, I gather that, there seems to be some priority of XML over naming conventions, but I've really not seen more than one episode appear for a multi-episode disc myself yet and given it appears others have had it work I'm trying to work through where my error may be. Note in another world of gaming/retro systems, with many XML related files and specific naming conventions, they typically publish something to show the hierarchy of the logic to help power users make the most of it. Here with how the system seems to update, depend on various methods of updating, rebuilding, or updating library/meta data, etc I've not got a true picture of the hierachy.

If showing the several episode "clips" per disc is possible, then this is the ideal situation for me even if it plays the whole disc when clicking on it.

However as a second best solution would be to simply allow customized labeling below the "clips" to allow you to relabel something such as Disc 1, Episodes X-Y", etc, but would also allow you to update the Plots above for the clip to the extent you desire (i.e. put in mutli episode info, or even simply titles/numbers for the episodes. That way when you click on it, it still loads the whole disc, but the name of what is being accessed is correct and makes sense. Then if this were possible, also ordering and adjusting the clip could further allow you to easily add pilots, etc. Right now I am concentrating on the main episodes but I have not found any way of updating the XML for these items related to the clips. In theory, to be most flexible to the user, you should be able to tailor most areas shown. The current web access seems to allow a limited edits - when the user has other needs, should be a bit more flexible.

Additional thoughts that digress beyond the main point above:
    I think the media server has a lot of potential and simply love the few things I do have working. But I am a long way from where I want to be and it has been more difficult than expected even for someone such as myself with much database, XML and other scripting experience to get things going smoothly and a satisfactory end result (TV shows, bonus discs, pilots, home videos, etc). To this issue, giving a bit more end-user control to at least add/modify much of the basic metadata the way the user would like it to be would be desirable. To make this product great simply needs a bit more end-user capable customization of the metadata and/or even allow some customizable fields, and not force a reliance on a single scraping site/senario. Assume there will be errors and/or missing info, and give the user a way to adjust if they wish.

As an example of something that scrapes movie data and allows sufficient customization (strictly a database, but essentially contains/obtains/and allows customization of the same type info used by the media server) I've been using All-My-Movies for close to 10 years and have been able to tailor all the needed items to cover my own posters/clips and info to satisfy even any fully customized situation, including discs that I've made such as home movies, or putting together misc videos I've obtains such as a large number of sort clips.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• signals
    replied
    I think not, but I must honestly say I have never tried it that way. If the disc is authored as you outline with one of the consecutive episodes on a different disc, I think you will be happier using Customize or Ripper to have a file for each episode for easy selection (not organized on a disc basis). The DMS should automatically put them in a Collection under a single poster that you can open to choose the episode, much like a menu.

Leave a comment:

• TRJ
    replied
    Originally posted by signals View Post
    If you are using Clone, the only way to access it as individual episodes is with the menu on the original disc, which is included in Clone output. You can use Customize copy mode and rename each title using the naming conventions listed elsewhere here in a sticky.
    I do understand that to access the individual episodes will require using the 'Menu mode" and play the whole disc. The real question is with a single ISO file, if the naming convention is used and is for four episodes as an example, will it at least show 4 clips for the episodes be given/shown?

Leave a comment:

• tbrown25
    replied
    The MS uses the web site "themoviedb.org" as it's primary source of meta information. In that system, the episodes are numbered sequentially starting with 1 and proceeding in the ordered the episodes were aired. (note: I sometimes find errors in that database)

Frequently, the pilot episode for a tv show will be listed in that system under "season 0". The movie server currently cannot deal with season 0 and thus pilot episodes are not handled as far as a poster wall goes. I've been complaining about this problem for at least a year. They say it will be fixed in a future firmware release.

Under the latest firmware (2013), I have found that the MS does very well handling movies. However, the system does not handle TV shows as it should.There are quite a few problems in the tv show part of the system. Hopefully, that will get addressed sometime soon.

Leave a comment:

• signals
    replied
    If you are using Clone, the only way to access it as individual episodes is with the menu on the original disc, which is included in Clone output. You can use Customize copy mode and rename each title using the naming conventions listed elsewhere here in a sticky.

You can also use Ripper to convert the episodes to individual video files if desired, but use Th he naming conventions as above.

Leave a comment:

• TRJ
    replied
    Thanks for the ideas - and keep them coming please.
    Yes - I'm using DVD fab.
    Yes I'm copying the entire disk with 4 episodes into a single iso file using clone....
    I just received my media server and started working on it last week, using the most current firmware it provides, but also upgrading to the newest beta as well (2.0.1.3)

All attempts so far only show the "video-clip" for the first episode. While having 4 clips still (one per episode) would be the most desirable desirable, I could even live with it if it only showed a single clip/cover and allowed me to label as Disc 1, Episodes 1-4, etc and other meta-data was editable. The 4 clips would be preferable, and at least you confirm that the way it has worked before.

So in summary, from an entire disk as an iso that contained multiple episodes, it is giving me a single poster for the tv show, a poster for the season, and 1 video clip still, one for the first episode mentioned so far

I verified at least one of the 2 discs I was trying had an nfo file that contained some info regarding 4 episodes. I've tried the naming conventions. However I only seem to get one "clip" showing one episode and am not able to adjust the labeling of this clip, or the info above for it.

Now I've notices with the first 2 discs from CSI Miami,
    the first disk contains Pilot and episodes 101, 104, 102.
    The second disk contains episodes 103, 105, 106, 107

I've tried some labeling formats such as matching exactly, or even for the second disc just tried S01E04-E07 just trying to get more than a single episode showing in the "clips", but to no avail.

Note that the database seems to match them on a scheme of simply skipping the pilot and just counts sequentially moving forward instead of the series number - which begs the concern that in theory we should be able to adjust the numbers too if we want to watch accurately in order based on the way they were written. However these issues are less of a concern, as I can't even get 4 episodes showing and also figure if I can at least get 4 episodes displaying, that I can adjust the numbers as need be to compensate.

I'll be playing with more this weekend, and will probably try a different series that doesn't have the episodes out of order too. I'll post later....

Leave a comment:

• tbrown25
    replied
    Perhaps I misunderstood something, but yes, I thought he was copying the entire disk (multi-episode) to a single iso file.

I have not done this in awhile. Like DowntoEarth, I split off each episode as a separate MKV file- however, under the last few firmware releases when I transferred an entire disk as an iso that contained multiple episodes, and named it per the convention, the system would create individual video-clips for each episode.

For instance, a 4 episode tv show disk, transferred to the MS using the CLONE option in DVDFAB and named using the "SXXEXX-EYY" convention, would give me a single poster for the tv show, a poster for the season, and 4 video clip stills, one for each episode. The 4 stills all pointed to the same file.

Older firmware releases did behave differently. As I recall, you got a single video-still clip named Episode XX-YY. representing the disk.

But, like I said, I have not done an ISO transfer like that in awhile. Maybe the MS has changed back to the old scheme again...

Leave a comment:

• Down2Earth
    replied
    Originally posted by tbrown25 View Post
    TRJ:
    Yes, that is how it is supposed to work.

Note, if you are manually using the search function, even after getting the right poster defined for the disk, you have to define the individual episodes as well.
    Yes.....the above information and all that was implied is correct...…BUT.....It does not sound like TRJ is splitting episodes though. Complex in reply it sounds like he wants to keep and copy the disk in full menu but want different posters for each episode. Think DVDfab is working (it sounds like that's what is being used), the naming format is not the same as how you rip it to the sever. Found splitting episodes as an .iso does not work that functional. But if you want the full disk and menus from the disk its the way to go but you will have the same meta poster for each disk episode/series/season unless you change it otherwise like tbrown25 noted.

On another note if you want each episode to have it's own poster per episode you will need to split your episodes up per season and episodes. No way around doing that and name them each just like you noted you were doing above. Signals posted how to split episodes and it is pretty clear on how to do it, the link is here: Thread #4 on that page below......

Hi I have a DVD of One Piece when I put it in it only shows 1 track containing all episodes. I can obvioulsy make this into a MP4 file but it will be one

For TV shows I don't rip them as .iso unless I do want to rip them as full menu. For TV shows I mostly rip them using DVDfab 'Ripper' mode and as MKV for each episodes, DVdfab does generate the correct .nfo for MKV shows also if they are named in correct format.

This thread denotes using Filebot as one of the programs for naming convention but Filebot went to being paid as it was once freeware, not anymore, so I switched over to using Rename My TV Series 2, it's free and the program is freaky magic, saved me hours of naming my TV series. Only downfall is, it does not support .iso files for renaming TV episodes......guess maybe another reason why I rip them as MKV's it's easier.

Site is here:

A tool to quickly and easily rename silly named TV Show episodes file name to a format that makes sense and is to your liking (Windows, MacOS and Linux).

Hope this helps in addition with tbrown25 post.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X