Lost all !!!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jimczyz View Post
    Try downgrading to 1.0.1.0 and it should show up again. I found removing the hdd does that. When I was using 1.0.1.2 I also removed the hdd and the same thing happened. I went back to 1010 and everything showed back up.
    ..which is logical !

Firmware 1.0.1.0 is a local firmware. You scrape your movie list and you get your posterwall. Errors can be corrected through the web manager (:32080) directly on your DMS. The result of the scrapping (ie the poster images the text files and what have you) are then stored locally. If you have a hdd attached to the DMS you can check it. All the posterwall infos are written on said HDD (or in the target folder if your movies are on a NAS) in a hidden folder called ".vidon". This is why when you go back to 1.0.1.0 your posterwall populates nicely by reading the content of this folder.

firmwares beta 1.0.1.1 and 1.0.1.2 are pure cloud firmwares (which are obsolete) and firmware beta 1.0.1.3 is a "kind-of-mix" one which If I'm not mistaken does the following :

1. copy/sync first all the file names of your movies and the links to them to the cloud.
    2. based on that will scrape the movie infos and posters (that's why the naming convention should be strictly followed to increase accuracy)
    3. will then build your posterwall folder in the cloud (aka the one that was with firmware 1.0.1.0 locally on your HDD)
    3a. Scraping errors can then be edited in the cloud by logging into the cloud-based editor https://dms.dvdfab.cn.
    4. The resulting movie info/poster file/folder is then synced back to your DMS and stored locally.

So the ability of bugs and errors is very important and huge (for ex. the cloud server needs to be able to handle the load of all primary syncs, has to be on-line, available, the the scrapping results have to be accurate, in the right user account, the editing needs to work flawlessly and the sync back to the DMS also has to work.

For example :
    If primary sync fails : your DMS will be empty or your DMS will not even appear activated;
    If sync back fails you will see another posterwall when loging into your cloud account than on your DMS;

I understand dvdfab is working heavily in ironing out all error sources but once you consider all these logical technical steps required (and there might be some others) you can easily understand what all can go wrong and result in such "lost all!" threads.

So sticking to 1.0.1.0 is certainly safer for the time being.
    Last edited by eddysback; 03-28-2018, 01:46 PM.

Comment

Thanks eddysback for your post because you pretty much nailed what is and has been happening!!! Big Ups!

People seem to want the latest updates because it’s called an update and they have to have it; that is not the case here if you were one of the first 500 to pre-order the DMS and worked with it up until firmware 1.0.1.0 think they would know the difference.
      Last edited by Down2Earth; 03-28-2018, 08:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Down2Earth View Post
        People seem to want the latest updates because it’s called an update and they have to have it;that is not the case here if you were one of the first 500 to pre-order the DMS and worked with it up until firmware 1.0.1.0.

My case exactly. I was actually misguided as I thought I'm buying a media player.....and not a media server. This move after 1.0.1.0 just expands the DVDfab ecosystem. I have a huge library on NAS I don't need a storage device to rip to with dvdfab and increase in the same move the dvdfab metadata library. I have my library since ages and I don't need a dvdfab lock'in...actually sad because up to 1.0.1.0 DMS was really better than most players out there. As I stated I still follow the development because I'm really interested to see if it will succeed...it seems that the strategy which killed already once the vidon box is back again....so let's see and be surprised.

And yes after the OTA push of 1.0.1.3 which was not really a success to put it mildly...1.0.1.3 was withdrawn from OTA availability....and now users see in the forum that there is a 1.0.1.3 so they want it but have actually no clue that 1.0.1.3 changes the basics of functionality radically and that on top the 1.0.1.3 is just at the beginning, rushed out and full of errors....but to be fair...it's called a beta.

Once the devs created a DMS insider group. In a rational world once would expect that you test such a game changing firmware in a closed user group first before you just push it out over OTA....and saturate unfortunately your cloud server as first consequence and all goes down the drain.

Who knows maybe the future will really be better...
        Last edited by eddysback; 03-28-2018, 08:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X